Phantom 4 falling from sky - prop screws loose...

Reaction score
Aircraft safety tip.....

There was a post on the dji forum of a bird that fell from the sky and it looked like the prop clamp screws on the motor had come off mid flight....

So decided to give mine a check....

add this to you pre flight checks, 50 hours of flight and I found 3 screws loose on mine.

Here is what you can do.

1. Inspect the prop clamps on the motor, the white plastic that holds your props, check them for any wiggle, even a slightest wiggle, tighten the screws using a 1.5mm hex allen key

2. Some of the screws on mine did not have the blue threadlocker compound applied, you can do them now, search for threadlocker in google, its a gel or a stick, it makes your thread tight and prevents them from coming loose due to vibrations.

3. A very quick inspection trick is to mark the screws using torque striping method, use a sharpie (a permanent marker) and draw a line on the white plastic and the screw, if the line is mis-aligned, you can easily tell a screw has come loose.

NOTE: Use a tiny bit of threadlocker on the screws only, not on the plastics.

Happy and safe flight all.

13235221_10153622539992919_4285579854076976912_o.jpg

Thanks for the info. I just checked mine and 2 of them were loose.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the info. I just checked mine and 2 of them were loose.

Yes thanks for the tip. Mine were all snug but I put a little on them just for good measure. Photo made the difference. It's the little things I sometimes miss.

Reactions: Jussaguy
This bird has so many problems that I'll just stay with my p3a a while

This bird has so many problems that I'll just stay with my p3a a while

The P3Xs as does any bird, has a shelf life. It's a matter of how long and doing things that will increase the life of your bird by doing things like checks and maintenance don't signify a problem, it's just the proper thing to do. If you think your P3A will last forever without any maintenance, get back to me in a year or more.

Reactions: Sim597
Excellent post. One of these days, DJI, like a true aircraft manufacturer, will put together an email AD (airworthiness directives) notification system to notify Phantom Aircraft owners of potential issues (like this) that can so easily be addressed in advance of a catastrophe. Checking this forum is our only defense....God save those who don't check the forum or check for loose bits during preflight!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Stevie_UK
Anyone know of there is a recommended torque amount for these screws? I can see some overtightening them not wanting them to come lose. This is probably worse that then slowly coming lose over time.

I see a small crack on THE foto, from THE middel pointing to right under (south-east). Very alarming!

Yep....looks suspiciously like a very small crack when the pic is blown up. So....note to self: Check for loose screws, and prop drive system cracks. Stealthmatt, please let us know if that is indeed a "crack"...!!

Looks more like a fiber or hair to me. Doesn't it seem to continue on across the post? Albiet blurry...

Fortunately...crack or no crack, this is an inexpensive item to replace...and easy as well.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj