Phantom 4 CSC procedure is changed?

In the case of an inexperienced operator, who is perhaps in a bit of a panic having just lost sight of their new Phantom, is an inadvertent left-stick-down-and-in while repeatedly pressing the RTH button any less likely than an inadvertent CSC?

I don't think either are particularly likely, but it just seems like swapping one unlikely event for another. (And adding a second unlikely event that could crash your drone in the case of the P3).

Reactions: BigAl07
With the new sport mode, moving backwards and to the left while also descending and turning right became a real possibility. Just knowing that it was possible to accidentally move the sticks to the wrong position made me nervous. The P2 had a stop on the throttle so you would feel resistance before entering CSC. On the P4 there is no stop and when flying in sport mode, extreme stick motions are likely. This is why we asked for and received a fix from DJI engineering. I am very pleased with the solution. You can even practice it safely while the motors are idling on the ground.

Reactions: msinger
Read this: The number one reason for Phantom crashes (a little surprising)

As for how easy it is to CSC, you need to descend at 100% while yawing at 100% while moving backwards at 100% while moving sideways at 100%.

If you're flying that aggressively, you've got the wrong drone. These are flying machines that are subject to the laws of gravity and propulsion. They are not magic levitation machines.
Two words: Sport Mode
Folks are going to be pushing their sticks every which way. This CSC change just saved a lot of folks from losing their drones and possibly some people on the ground from getting their heads caved in.

Reactions: Robert Melb FL

As for how easy it is to CSC, you need to descend at 100% while yawing at 100% while moving backwards at 100% while moving sideways at 100%.

If you're flying that aggressively, you've got the wrong drone. These are flying machines that are subject to the laws of gravity and propulsion. They are not magic levitation machines.

i was kind of shocked when i saw CSC on the top 10 pilot errors (DJI) , as you say its not an easy stick position to get into in the natural course of flight, or lets say nearly impossible. but apparently its enough of an issue. oso previously alluded to a new range of phantom pilots with the P3S, i bet with sport mode the likelihood increases a bit. so who knows.

Two words: Sport Mode
Folks are going to be pushing their sticks every which way. This CSC change just saved a lot of folks from losing their drones and possibly some people on the ground from getting their heads caved in.

Cars have a sport mode. But if you go 100 MPH and then suddenly turn the wheel all the way to the right while slamming on the brakes, you will end up on your roof. Sport mode doesn't mean you can defy the laws of physics. Forget about CSC, flying with that much deflection on the sticks is inconceivably foolish.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Cars have a sport mode. But if you go 100 MPH and then suddenly turn the wheel all the way to the right while slamming on the brakes, you will end up on your roof. Sport mode doesn't mean you can defy the laws of physics. Forget about CSC, flying with that much deflection on the sticks is inconceivably foolish.
So, let's say you're right. That it's simply a non-issue. That nobody (not even a "noob") would ever do a CSC in the air. Now, why do you suppose DJI made this change?

Reactions: Phantom-Four
So, let's say you're right. That it's simply a non-issue. That nobody (not even a "noob") would ever do a CSC in the air. Now, why do you suppose DJI made this change?

I am very surprised they did. It could be they are satisfying the perception of a problem.

Put it this way, whether it's a P3, P4 or $5K Inspire Pro or $25K custom X8, I am not one bit concerned about CSC. Not even when I am flying aggressively.

Put it this way, whether it's a P3, P4 or $5K Inspire Pro or $25K custom X8, I am not one bit concerned about CSC. Not even when I am flying aggressively.
I don't doubt you on that. You are definitely not the average Phantom owner though. Or, do you think you are?

I don't doubt you on that. You are definitely not the average Phantom owner though. Or, do you think you are?

Well, I've been flying them for a while so maybe not but how many occurrences of mid-air CSC have there been? 2? 3? Out of how many Phantoms?

And you're basing this on...? I am referring to this site which has quite a large sample of users.

The same the you basing your numbers off of . There is no real number bc of the secrecy that Dji plays . The amount of total csc accidentals will never be known unless revealed by Dji themselves . If it wasn't a problem u can best believe they wouldn't have changed it one bit .

Remember when all the phantoms 3 were falling out the sky ? What ever came to the conclusion of them? If recoverable and if lucky they were repaired under warranty with no reason why it happened . No count on how many phantoms falling from sky and no official statement . No reason why it happen and no list of repaired parts . Dji is a shady shady company and all of this reflects on how they run their shady company

Even after flying a year with no CSC mishaps, I still panicked after reading people's' fear of bringing the P3 down with an involuntary slip of both thumbs while airborne. So I bought the CSC lock from Phantom help: CSC Safety - Phantom Help (it was actually free)
It slips over one stick and you turn it 90 degrees after take off if you are afraid you might be tempted to perform an accidental CSC midair. 100% safe. I installed it but I just don't use it. I guess my fears were overblown. It might make sense for someone the first day or two though.

Remember when all the phantoms 3 were falling out the sky ? What ever came to the conclusion of them? If recoverable and if lucky they were repaired under warranty with no reason why it happened. Dji is a shady shady company and all of this reflects on how they run their shady company

I know exactly why those birds fell from the sky, and I've explained it in this forum several times. DJI told me at CES the 1.5 firmware is fatally flawed at reading battery voltage, and to NEVER fly that version. This was echoed by two DJI employees that were deemed the "smartest about firmware", one from each of the two booths they had at CES. That's why 1.5 was replaced only a month after release.

So if you're the marketing director of DJI, are you going to tell the world you screwed up? No. You simply make good on warranty and fire the engineers and test people that didn't do their jobs! I'm sure heads rolled on that one. I wouldn't call that shady, but the reality of capitalism and politics...... never admit to your mistakes so the competition can't benefit.

Last edited:

+1
They should have it as CSC options in the GO menu.
Pros: traditional method.
*******: new method.

The 2 sticks down and then to the centre means you will be saving fingers. Its faster as you are already on the sticks. The new method seems cumbersome and high chance of dropping the controller if you don't have a lanyard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dounin Front
A solution for a problem that didn't exist.

There were more than a few people here that did inadvertent CSC's. I'm sure there were many more that DJi found as well. I'm sure based on claims they determined it was a problem even if it was user error. In my book why not change it as a result? How has this change negatively impacted anyone?

There were more than a few people here that did inadvertent CSC's. I'm sure there were many more that DJi found as well. I'm sure based on claims they determined it was a problem even if it was use error. In my book why not change it as a result?

There has been a fix for those that feel they need it - it's free - and it's been available for some time.
Check my reply earlier in this thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic