Phantom 4 crash!!

Reaction score
Hey guys just had a question as I have read through every single thread in the phantom 4 category and I know you guys are the best to ask. Out of complete stupidity I crashed my P4 the other day, I went to the local baseball fields because I had flown the P4 for about a month (which was obviously not long enough) and decided it was time to try sport mode. There is no fence except the normal one behind the plate so I had the P4 out in the field and decided was going to fly straight at myself and then turn away and head back out into the field well what I didn't account for was that at full speed in sport mode the P4 doesn't turn like I thought it would which sent it straight over my head and hit the top of the fence behind me, it hit directly on the right side of the P4, I was trying to turn left but drifting straight due to the speed. If I would have been 6 inches higher I would have cleared it. Sorry for the long story I just hope someone will read this and maybe keep them from not doing the same thing I did and realize you need a lot longer then a person thinks to stop/turn in sport mode. Now to my question, I didn't get any pictures before I sent it off to DJI for a quote mainly because of the complete shock of watching my P4 do what I told it to only to get destroyed. But as for damage it broke off the right side landing leg (both ends pulled the screws out of the body), bent the gimbal no damage at all to the actual camera but the gimbal is bent all the way into the inside of the P4, the top cover of the body has a crack in it, and one of the motors was sitting at a weird angle. My question is as I wait to hear what my quote will be from DJI for the charge to fix it where do you guys draw the line and ask for it to be returned so you can part it out and put the money towards buying a new one from DJI as I seen on their website you can get one for $1099 which excludes the controller and battery. Or do you think that the my repaired P4 will be the same quality as a new one? Also is there anyone out the that has had similar damage as me and what did you pay? I am really anxious to find out what they will charge but terrified at the same time because I see a lot of people say $300 but then I seen just a new camera with gimbal is $379 but hoping they can use my old camera and just insert it into a new gimbal not sure how that works. By the way I don't have DJI care. Thank you!!

Also wanted to ask you guys about the batteries I have one that is fully charged and other at 80% I never set up the discharge setting in the app but was curious if it had a default that is programmed in the first time you fly or will it be at the 10 day before discharge? Is 10 days to long for them to sit above 65%? Without being connected to the P4 all of the settings aren't accurate to view what mine might be at.

Expensive mistake, reminds me of the years of learning to fly RC vehicles I have behind me. I have plenty of stories like that behind me. If I were you, I would learn how to fix/repair it yourself. These arent as easily repairable as your typical hobby craft, but I think its do-able. Once you can do it yourself, you will gain a lot of freedom. I also wish DJI would make them a little more "repair friendly", but, I guess that's why these are sold at best buy and not Papas Hobby shop.

If you dont want to go that route, i'm getting you can get 400-600 for it on ebay, as is. I'd probably sell it and use the funds to buy a new $1099 one.

Your batteries will discharge at ten days, standard setting. Sorry about you crash

Expensive mistake, reminds me of the years of learning to fly RC vehicles I have behind me. I have plenty of stories like that behind me. If I were you, I would learn how to fix/repair it yourself. These arent as easily repairable as your typical hobby craft, but I think its do-able. Once you can do it yourself, you will gain a lot of freedom. I also wish DJI would make them a little more "repair friendly", but, I guess that's why these are sold at best buy and not Papas Hobby shop.

If you dont want to go that route, i'm getting you can get 400-600 for it on ebay, as is. I'd probably sell it and use the funds to buy a new $1099 one.

Thank you for the reply, I agree I need to start looking into repairing myself I get worried with all of the technology that it has with the sensors and everything that I wouldn't be able to tell what all needs looked at so sent it in, I might not think that way when I get the quote to fix it though haha.

Your batteries will discharge at ten days, standard setting. Sorry about you crash

Ok thank you I had read about setting them to discharge after two days through the Go app so was worried I might do damage at 10.

Hey guys just had a question as I have read through every single thread in the phantom 4 category and I know you guys are the best to ask. Out of complete stupidity I crashed my P4 the other day, I went to the local baseball fields because I had flown the P4 for about a month (which was obviously not long enough) and decided it was time to try sport mode. There is no fence except the normal one behind the plate so I had the P4 out in the field and decided was going to fly straight at myself and then turn away and head back out into the field well what I didn't account for was that at full speed in sport mode the P4 doesn't turn like I thought it would which sent it straight over my head and hit the top of the fence behind me, it hit directly on the right side of the P4, I was trying to turn left but drifting straight due to the speed. If I would have been 6 inches higher I would have cleared it. Sorry for the long story I just hope someone will read this and maybe keep them from not doing the same thing I did and realize you need a lot longer then a person thinks to stop/turn in sport mode. Now to my question, I didn't get any pictures before I sent it off to DJI for a quote mainly because of the complete shock of watching my P4 do what I told it to only to get destroyed. But as for damage it broke off the right side landing leg (both ends pulled the screws out of the body), bent the gimbal no damage at all to the actual camera but the gimbal is bent all the way into the inside of the P4, the top cover of the body has a crack in it, and one of the motors was sitting at a weird angle. My question is as I wait to hear what my quote will be from DJI for the charge to fix it where do you guys draw the line and ask for it to be returned so you can part it out and put the money towards buying a new one from DJI as I seen on their website you can get one for $1099 which excludes the controller and battery. Or do you think that the my repaired P4 will be the same quality as a new one? Also is there anyone out the that has had similar damage as me and what did you pay? I am really anxious to find out what they will charge but terrified at the same time because I see a lot of people say $300 but then I seen just a new camera with gimbal is $379 but hoping they can use my old camera and just insert it into a new gimbal not sure how that works. By the way I don't have DJI care. Thank you!!
I would be interested in buying parts off your drone. fixing one for someone right now. you may be able to part it out and come out ahead in my opinion. main board is worth $400.

I would be interested in buying parts off your drone. fixing one for someone right now. you may be able to part it out and come out ahead in my opinion. main board is worth $400.
Ok DJI got it yesterday so I'm hoping that I will hear back from them today to see what they are going to charge to fix it, I will keep you updated on what I hear back.

Reactions: Brad76
Ok DJI got it yesterday so I'm hoping that I will hear back from them today to see what they are going to charge to fix it, I will keep you updated on what I hear back.
Hey just wanted to give an update I heard back from DJI and they want $330 to get my bird all fixed up, and looking at the invoice they are replacing every part that had even a small scratch on it so I decided to go ahead and pay them to fix it as it seems like it will look brand new when I get it back and hopefully fly like new. I appreciate the message, hopefully I'm not making a huge mistake not parting it out but worried I might not be able to get rid of everything and be out even more.

Hey just wanted to give an update I heard back from DJI and they want $330 to get my bird all fixed up, and looking at the invoice they are replacing every part that had even a small scratch on it so I decided to go ahead and pay them to fix it as it seems like it will look brand new when I get it back and hopefully fly like new. I appreciate the message, hopefully I'm not making a huge mistake not parting it out but worried I might not be able to get rid of everything and be out even more.
wow. not bad.. so what parts are they replacing?

also.. does that price include them shipping back to you? where did it get sent to? (country). thanks!
Yep that includes shipping, parts, and labor. The invoice for replacement parts includes top cover, 2 new motors, right and left landing gear, antenna feeder 1 2 3 and 4, compass connection cable, central cover component, pitch motor, pitch shaft bracket, gimbal FPC flat cable, pitch shaft mounting piece, pitch shaft FPC cable cover, pitch shaft rear cover, roll motor, roll shaft bracket, gimbal yaw shaft and roll shaft ESC board, and roll shaft rear cover. It was $180 for parts and $150 for labor and the shipping was free both ways. This was sent into DJI North America its located in California. Also I wanted to ask you as I know you work on them, for future reference if I need a part where is the best place to find them as I was looking at parts and cant find any website that has all these little parts mentioned above all I can find is complete gimbal assemblies nothing for individual parts or does it just come down to people parting them out? Thanks!

Yep that includes shipping, parts, and labor. The invoice for replacement parts includes top cover, 2 new motors, right and left landing gear, antenna feeder 1 2 3 and 4, compass connection cable, central cover component, pitch motor, pitch shaft bracket, gimbal FPC flat cable, pitch shaft mounting piece, pitch shaft FPC cable cover, pitch shaft rear cover, roll motor, roll shaft bracket, gimbal yaw shaft and roll shaft ESC board, and roll shaft rear cover. It was $180 for parts and $150 for labor and the shipping was free both ways. This was sent into DJI North America its located in California. Also I wanted to ask you as I know you work on them, for future reference if I need a part where is the best place to find them as I was looking at parts and cant find any website that has all these little parts mentioned above all I can find is complete gimbal assemblies nothing for individual parts or does it just come down to people parting them out? Thanks!
wow. I'd say that's pretty good. and from what I can tell so far, your options are doing what you did (which economically speaking was likely your best bet), eBay has parts from places like rotorlogic who I've bought from myself, or finding someone parting one out. can you please explain which part was that central cover component you mentioned.. it's good to know they can replace individual parts on the camera assembly.. my personal bird is effed up pretty good right now, the magnesium plate that attaches to the underside that's the frame of the gimbal is dented and cracked (wondering if that's the piece you mentioned I'm asking about) along with pretty bad scuffs on the covers etc... please also tell me how the shipping is covered.. how do you get reimbursed since you're having to ship it out initially. can you possibly upload the invoice..? I'd be curious to see it. thanks!

wow. I'd say that's pretty good. and from what I can tell so far, your options are doing what you did (which economically speaking was likely your best bet), eBay has parts from places like rotorlogic who I've bought from myself, or finding someone parting one out. can you please explain which part was that central cover component you mentioned.. it's good to know they can replace individual parts on the camera assembly.. my personal bird is effed up pretty good right now, the magnesium plate that attaches to the underside that's the frame of the gimbal is dented and cracked (wondering if that's the piece you mentioned I'm asking about) along with pretty bad scuffs on the covers etc... please also tell me how the shipping is covered.. how do you get reimbursed since you're having to ship it out initially. can you possibly upload the invoice..? I'd be curious to see it. thanks!
I was wondering the same thing about the central cover I didn't notice any damage to it when I sent it off however the gimbal was pushed into it so maybe it had some damage on the inside where something was attached?? Not sure what the inside looks like. As for the shipping when I sent in my application for repair they sent me an email with a shipping label that I just needed print out. Here is the invoice.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 417
I was wondering the same thing about the central cover I didn't notice any damage to it when I sent it off however the gimbal was pushed into it so maybe it had some damage on the inside where something was attached?? Not sure what the inside looks like. As for the shipping when I sent in my application for repair they sent me an email with a shipping label that I just needed print out. Here is the invoice.
yeah, mine went too far forward and it now has two hairline cracks in it. thanks for sending the invoice for me to see man.

and I gotta say.. there's an incredible amount of <$4 parts in that list.. jeez. not sure how those covers show up that cheap!

and I gotta say.. there's an incredible amount of <$4 parts in that list.. jeez. not sure how those covers show up that cheap!
No problem! I agree I seen a website that wanted $65 for the whole outter shell so I figured the top would be at least $30 so I thought my bill was gonna be closer to $700 but like you said I didn't realize they could do all of the little pieces separate so thought I would have to buy a whole new gimbal and camera which I seen was $379. The one thing I do wonder is if some or all of these parts are off of old warranty units and not new but I guess as long as it looks and flys nice thats all that matters.

No problem! I agree I seen a website that wanted $65 for the whole outter shell so I figured the top would be at least $30 so I thought my bill was gonna be closer to $700 but like you said I didn't realize they could do all of the little pieces separate so thought I would have to buy a whole new gimbal and camera which I seen was $379. The one thing I do wonder is if some or all of these parts are off of old warranty units and not new but I guess as long as it looks and flys nice thats all that matters.
yeah good question... up here in Canada the repair dealer I spoke to was talking about using other used parts he had.. and I was like... uhhhhh... haha. little parts like ribbon cables or whatever I wouldn't have an issue with but I sure as hell wouldn't want a used sensor.

Reactions: Jaxon
...Jaxon, it been awhile since this post , but, could you please provide the DJIFlightRecord_*.txt Flight-Log File, you can post it here
or email it to me at the following email address...
VaData (at) YaHoo (dot) com
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

That's like a whole new drone for $330! That's a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20