Phantom 4 click click click noise. Is it the sonar?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue. Just opened a brand new p4 not even a single flight. Just turned it on to check it out and I keep hearing a repeating click noise. When I hold up the drone to my ear it sounds as its coming from the sensors from u dear the drone that face the ground like maybe the sonar or something. It's still brand new and wondering if this is normal or should I exchange it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Keep well.

It's coming from the VPS.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks so much Matt122, if i could ask one more question. It also warns me on the screen about a temp max warning, is that a normal thing as well? The p4 is just on no blades attached just isle mode motors not spinning.

Thanks so much Matt122, if i could ask one more question. It also warns me on the screen about a temp max warning, is that a normal thing as well? The p4 is just on no blades attached just isle mode motors not spinning.
Ive never had that warning so Im not to sure about that.

Thanks for the clearing that. Sorry if i sound dumb but is the VPS the visual positioning sensor?
Yes. There is no way to disable it on the Phantom 4. One can disable it for the Phantom 3 Advanced and Pro. Its advantageous to do so when flying the P3's over water at less than 30 meters in altitude. That way the drone is not using the moving water to position itself in 3 D space.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The audible clicking from the VPS when the power is on is normal. Any screaching coming from the gimbal is not normal. There are also some gimbals with rubbing ribbon cables that will click when rotated manually with the power off. My gimbal made a mild sound with the power off during manual elevation by hand, but the ribbon cable wasn't rubbing, so that appears to be normal, too. Happy flying!

The audible clicking from the VPS when the power is on is normal. Any screaching coming from the gimbal is not normal. There are also some gimbals with rubbing ribbon cables that will click when rotated manually with the power off. My gimbal made a mild sound with the power off during manual elevation by hand, but the ribbon cable wasn't rubbing, so that appears to be normal, too. Happy flying!

The VPS clicking got me too, had me listening all over to figure it out - then I found another post about it on here.

I get a squeak from my gimbal for maybe half a second when it first powers up, moves fine afterwards with only a very slight even clicking (barely audible) - am I okay?

The VPS clicking got me too, had me listening all over to figure it out - then I found another post about it on here.

I get a squeak from my gimbal for maybe half a second when it first powers up, moves fine afterwards with only a very slight even clicking (barely audible) - am I okay?

Mine is the same. I had some more noticeable clicking when starting up and came to realize the lens cover was not on tight.

I returned my first P4 for loud squeaks and got another one which never squeaks. Any additional problems with failed gimbal calibrations?

This temp max, I've not seen that, but can surmise if your running motors without props, they will overheat!! The props need to be cooled I'd think by air moving over them, maybe some one else can comment

The props need to be cooled?? Really?? Let me guess so do the engines huh?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I returned my first P4 for loud squeaks and got another one which never squeaks. Any additional problems with failed gimbal calibrations?

I started a thread about odd behavior during manual gimbal calibration. It's important to note I have no problem with uneven horizon during filming with the auto calibration and that the automatic calibration seems fine on my P4. Well, maybe the camera doesn't point exactly straight forward. It might be a hair off in that regard (I would need to look at this more carefully).

The thread to which I refer may be a little confusing at first because I had difficulty making myself understood. Finally, though, I think I got through. That thread is here:
Gimbal Roll Adjustment Misbehaves

Separately, the gimbal on my P4 screeches, making one short screech when it moves into its final position during startup. Apart from that I have heard no noise from it but I'm not up in the air when the bird is flying and the gimbal is working.

There is also a faint clicking noise audible when manually rotating the gimbal when the power is off.

With the short squeak of the gimbal at startup, I have seen that some resolved by slightly unscrewing the 4 screws of back plate of the gimal. I have not done this mod as not really a concern for me as well need more backround abiut this.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav