Phantom 4 boat launch

Reaction score
I had a nervous situation while trying to launch my Phantom 4 off the deck of a rocking 40 foot boat off the Pacific coast in Southern Calf.
While flying 10 feet over the ocean with 2-3 foot swells, my Phantom 4 seemed to lose responsiveness sporadically while trying to video a pod of dolphins feeding.
Is there a special setting I should have my Phantom on?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
The Visual positioning system is a totally separate system that only aids you while in areas without a gps signal (inside) or aids you when close to the ground (within 49 feet) for landing and in Return to Home situations so it won't land in an unsafe spot. Your Phantom will use GPS to stabilize itself when in p mode or sport mode only ATTI mode will not use GPS

if you turn off vps does the AC still utilize the GPS/satellite to maintain altitude?
The AC uses it's barometer not GPS to figure out altitude. GPS is can be used to track altitude and it is stored in flight data but the phantom relies on the barometer because GPS altitude is less accurate. Unsure if there is any double check software comparing the two values during flight.

But DocDiggler, you don't understand!! The dolphins were feeding ten feet ABOVE the water... it's worth the risk just to get a video of such a phenomenon ;)

("a pod of dolphins feeding about 10 feet above the water")

Lol the great risk for a great shot. I work on a tug boat and she is made out of metal bow to stern. I started my phantom 4 up to see what she would act like, no good. About half to New York, still hate that I couldn't get some great shots

But DocDiggler, you don't understand!! The dolphins were feeding ten feet ABOVE the water... it's worth the risk just to get a video of such a phenomenon ;)

("a pod of dolphins feeding about 10 feet above the water")

Thanks for pointing that out...It is now edited [emoji1433]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers