Phantom 4 battery life

Reading most of your posts, you are not really happy with this version, return it and GET OVER IT.
Many are perfectly happy with the P4.
Unlike you, the majority of Phantom owners don't have the slightest interest in modifying the Phantom to fly 5 miles or stay aloft for long periods.
The stock battery life and stock range are the only negatives, just like on the P3P, both of which are easily fixable. I already have the range fixed, and a battery mod solution is already in the works, but thanks for the free psychoanalysis. I'm getting off your couch now. :rolleyes:

View attachment 48100 View attachment 48101 View attachment 48102
No it was not, the picture was posted by someone else.
As I stated, I never opened the outside shipping box, my phantom was inside.

DB I know you are following this saga, so here are a few pics I took yesterday before I shipped the Phantom back to DJI.
I took these pics so there was proof I sent it back to them, DJI also requested tracking information.
I never thought that I would have to prove it to DB.
So you never even Activated your P4? Sounds like you planned to return it all along...
Without a manufacturing defect discovered within 7 days, which we have been actively been discussing (battery isn't delivering anything close to 28 minutes and control is nowhere near 3.1 miles under best of conditions), DJI's official refund policy can only be excercised within 7 days if the aircraft was never Activated.

Last edited:
So you never even Activated your P4? Sounds like you planned to return it all along...

No, I did not plan to return it all along, I was very excited when I ordered the P4, what possible reason would I have to spend $1399 on ANYTHING, only to return it?
I didn't receive my P4 until last Wednesday evening.
Many early posters complained of short battery life, and distances (see your posts), that were not as good as the P3, so I held off, and left it sealed in the box.
As so many early reviews confirmed the short battery life, and shorter range, I agonized on whether to return it or not, but you helped me make an informed decision, and it's gone back within the exchange period.
Thank you, Gadget Guy
I will follow your posts, and check on your progress.

No, I did not plan to return it all along, I was very excited when I ordered the P4, what possible reason would I have to spend $1399 on ANYTHING, only to return it?
I didn't receive my P4 until last Wednesday evening.
Many early posters complained of short battery life, and distances (see your posts), that were not as good as the P3, so I held off, and left it sealed in the box.
As so many early reviews confirmed the short battery life, and shorter range, I agonized on whether to return it or not, but you helped me make an informed decision, and it's gone back within the exchange period.
Thank you, Gadget Guy
I will follow your posts, and check on your progress.
Fair enough. Thanks for clearing up the confusion. It appeared in the prior post that you were defending the P4, rather than justifying your returning it while you still could. I, too, was initially excited about the prospect of a new Phantom with a native battery life of 28 minutes, that would preclude the need for any battery mods. Alas, that part was only a pipe dream. While the necessary P4 battery mods will also provide the safety of battery redundancy, they will certainly ruin the clean lines of the P4. We all thought the P4 battery would be a double wide, instead of wide and short, with only a 20% increase in mAH to handle the new electronic sensors, instead the needed 100% increase in mAh to get to 28 minutes, which I now get on the P3P, by adding two 2800 mAh externals.

Some of us have to be the guinea pigs, and the early adopters for the rest of you. We are the unpaid beta testers, who have to buy the product with our own money, and kick the tires, and put the rubber on the road, and report back! :D
Happy that it is appreciated! :cool:

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Some of us have to be the guinea pigs, and the early adopters for the rest of you. We are the unpaid beta testers, who have to buy the product with our own money, and kick the tires, and put the rubber on the road, and report back! :D
Happy that it is appreciated! :cool:

As a software developer, I can appreciate early adopters. This is the bleeding edge of a fairly new product class. The P4 is an upgrade to the P3A/P in a lot of ways. There have been some initial disappointments, but guys, it's just out of the gate. There will be firmware updates that will fine tune the features/performance vs battery life/distance mix It's a trade off, and there is no free lunch. Zipping along at 48 mph will drain the battery and decrease flight distance. Having object avoidance will tax the batteries more. The heavier but more sturdy airframe and more powerful motors will effect battery drain, distance and time. The large capacity battery will mitigate some of the above, but in the end it's up to us to choose how we want to fly.

The reality is that the P4 is more inviting to the first time user with object avoidance, stability and build quality. DJI is marketing this new costumer quad to the everyday user. But at the same time, offering some cool features to the experts. Again, it's a fine line.

I am selling my P3A because I want the latest and greatest. Even if it's greatness will not be realized for a few more months. What else is out there? Solo? Typhoon H? The Solo was a disaster, and the H has some nice features but is crippled with a crazy 400' limit. The P3 is still a great bird, but it will diminish as the 4 improves.

Shine on first adopters! Remember, it's the crazy ones who make the difference.

You don't openly advertise a product as having more battery life than its predecessor when it has less. You don't advertise a product as having the same range that when it has crippled LightBridge compared to its predecessor.

I am not sure that firmware can actually increase the output of the bird and of the remote control...

Simply put, there is a difference between having some early adopting issues, and blatant false advertising

You don't openly advertise a product as having more battery life than its predecessor when it has less. You don't advertise a product as having the same range that when it has crippled LightBridge compared to its predecessor.

I am not sure that firmware can actually increase the output of the bird and of the remote control...

Simply put, there is a difference between having some early adopting issues, and blatant false advertising

Great questions. But to me, the jury is still out. After just a week, it's hard to see how multiple battery cycles will affect life. Also, there is something I call the Apple effect. Every time Apple comes out with a new iOS, there are tons of complaints that the update crippled battery life. After a month or so, all of that dies down. Want to know why? Users tend to use their devices more to test out the newest features. Ockham's Razor in action.

Let's let the newness die down a bit. If the pool is too deep, get out. For me, I am excited about the potential of the 4 and I am swimming to the deep end.

I have cleaned this thread up and took out the trash. Lets try to act our age in here and stop with the childish behavior. Warnings have been issued. If anyone else needs one just let me know as I am low on my monthly quota and the month is almost over!

iu

i am getting 19-20 minutes with my phantom 4. I have tried 2 different batteries. Different flying styles, ie fast ,, slow,, hover. Also, GPS on , ATTI Mode. Nothing close to 28 min

Lightspeedz- here's the issue: you start a thread saying everything is perfect with your P4 and make some spurious claims there. Then you state you were:
"RACING around in sport mode" when in actuality you were traveling at about 1mph. While you did make me laugh out loud, your credibility here just imploded in a nuclear fashion.
Totally agree Davphs ! " a fool and his Phantom......"

What you have done is to misrepresent your battery life by making claims that made it appear as though you are flying all over the place getting great battery life far in excess of what those of us actually flying are able to achieve. "Racing around in Sport mode?" I'm sorry but this was a blatant misrepresentation!

If all I cared about was "max battery life" I would turn off everything & hover. But most of us actually FLY the Phantom! We want to go places & do something. Whether it be photos, video, or just flying off into the distance on a long distance run. Those are real-world situations & how most of us use our Phantom. People don't care how long the battery lasts while hovering. They want to know how long it can fly in a useful way.

Oh & BTW...

CP00BFcpAaSbUEKHpq_JtMD2fAeLEKvg5hBrRpP1jpC-Q9paLPCDsUbg1l_R_nnx3xdrqxEKf7eBiAEcN3mZHd2GBDBH9hiYgrIOppuGVxKTXUAVCOWlwbA0XVLMSDvtlZphB859iH4PZ2J24UqotqB68bM7BGhXN6kaw48gxuoVmqI3_fuWv8Te8j1pSrjELv4qIeZH8hWOCWVHk_4foXKbUEkeDh-ddOIj5Sa5IJzc_nt4SCxVk_sZrbOZdW7yUYcS7MuRHQnN-11IYxrxw3-Jj-50EoMYP9ox9x9ePbK_xcDXvRkJ-UavmK_zGHjSObPvjGEJescYX11eQ1I-cSeQRwk3WNQq7fW681THSin6X03QZHdlr3aZmtelMXWT1sXZB-19RtNgjJt8-ZEcdH2mjqlEuhmi2Q-rzFqoLeQdxKi3rFMM3_XujYKDQX7rF6cz2QYogiwgoBHSs6VSlYqy6ZpAotBwHyubIsx9rjQiJ_h7ovs5CP35UHXfU-7NzI_r5TuS-EcBP0eRymjECm5rI82VcvQ4iPoZ7CYmUL3oPQkU5L9SUgN5zrBDvKj5A9OzRA=w1120-h630-no

...I find your lack of faith disturbing! ;)
Kudos Dirty Bird ! We need accurate and correct information here !

To conclude the P4 battery can last up to 28 minutes in ideal conditions, starting from the moment the battery is turned on, Collision Avoidance off, no video recording or photo shoot, just taking off and letting the P4 hover indoors.

People should know when you plan a roundtrip the 28 minutes claim is not realistic at all (it can make you loose your bird), count on 22 minutes max.

Reactions: Dragonfly2016
To conclude the P4 battery can last up to 28 minutes in ideal conditions, starting from the moment the battery is turned on, Collision Avoidance off, no video recording or photo shoot, just taking off and letting the P4 hover indoors.

People should know when you plan a roundtrip the 28 minutes claim is not realistic at all (it can make you loose your bird), count on 22 minutes max.

It is, however imho, important to look after the battery in the first few cycles. I have stuck to the rule of not letting the battery discharge to less than 50% in the first 10 cycles and I think this has helped me get the maximum out of the batteries.

It is, however imho, important to look after the battery in the first few cycles. I have stuck to the rule of not letting the battery discharge to less than 50% in the first 10 cycles and I think this has helped me get the maximum out of the batteries.
So I have 3 batteries to run to 50% when my phantom arrives tonight :)

Just checked my logs and I have several flights of 21 minutes landing from 12 to 18%. distances between 20k to 30k feet. my top flight was 24 minutes and 43k feet landing at 8%. s mode mostly flying in the high 20mph range in good conditions in cool weather. Many other flights of 17 minutes landing around 20% to 25%

Ironically, OA on produces the longest battery life for me, as it limits the speed to 22 mph, which appears to be a sweet spot for battery life, but not for distance flying. Consistent 25 minutes, or so, flying that way. Too slow for me, though! Bought this thing for speed, not maximizing battery life! Still getting 25+ minutes at 32-40 mph in P mode with external batteries and a battery mod! :cool:

Reactions: tommyb888

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20