Phantom 4 battery life

Perhaps it's best to remove the propeller and will certainly go 28 minutes :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D
Heck! You can even leave them on! Just suspend the P4 in a harness hanging from a string, so it's "hovering," and turn on the battery, until it dies. Should go 35 minutes! :p

Well a few minutes here and there certainly are nice but it's by no measure revolutionary. I've gotten 17 minutes out of my P3P but that's also because I always return for a safe and healthy 35% or so left...

It would be amazing to see when you get 40 real minutes of flight time, like a 100% increase from today. But until then I'm happy with my P3P and my two batteries. Will probably buy two more batteries eventually...

Why doesn't everyone who purchased the P4 and is not totally happy, simply return the Phantom for a refund.
Everyone is still within the return policy time frame.
When I buy anything that does not work as expected, I return it for a refund, not obsess on it for days.
Return the Phantom and MOVE ON !!!

You may have come to the similar conclusions had you read posts about the P3 Pro in its early days. It's a new Phantom & we are hoping things improve in time.

Why doesn't everyone who purchased the P4 and is not totally happy, simply return the Phantom for a refund.
When I buy anything that does not work as expected, I return it for a refund, not obsess on it for days.

You may have come to the similar conclusions had you read posts about the P3 Pro in its early days. It's a new Phantom & we are hoping things improve in time.

WHY would you keep a product that you are obviously not happy with ?
Return the P4 and get your money back. !!!
It's possible that DJI may eventually resolve what you consider shortcomings, then you could purchase a P4 at that time.

Because we are still conflicted! It's a beautiful Apple-esque bird. It offers lots of potential which will soon be realized with a battery mod, if you already have a working transmitter mod for your P3P. The faster speed has advantages and disadvantages. It kills batteries, and it brings props into the frame, along with jello, when shooting into the sun, but speed also gets you there and back faster, and allows you to keep with and follow fast moving objects longer. The camera appears to handle dynamic range better than the P3P with less noise. The 120fps at 1080p and 30fps at 4K and 2x digital zoom in 2.7K are all new. The new follow modes for people and objects are awesome. It's primarily the hyped up battery life and range that are ticking everyone off. Both are easily fixable with mods we already have for the P3P. So, what to do...:confused:

It's possible that DJI may eventually resolve what you consider shortcomings, then you could purchase a P4 at that time.
That definitely is a serious option, but if we are going to own one eventually anyway, why not grow into it now, with our P3P's as reliable workhorses during the break-in period, while things like battery mods get sorted out? Also, with the P3P, the very first ones were the best, and later versions were seriously crippled in range and speed and locations they could fly in. That could be true here, too. Geofencing is coming, but not here yet! Get one that doesn't come with it pre-installed! Still conflicted. :confused: It is probably also better to buy from Apple than DJI, as they are more customer friendly and exchanges are easier, but then you have to pay sales tax. Apple has a more long term view of the customer, and will error on the side of keeping you happy to bring you into their ecosystem of phones, tablets, and laptops and computers and monitors. DJI only sells drones. Hmmm. What to do?? ;)

I'm disappointed in the battery life. I didn't say I was unhappy with the product.

Because we are still conflicted! It's a beautiful Apple-esque bird. It offers lots of potential which will soon be realized with a battery mod, if you already have a working transmitter mod for your P3P. The faster speed has advantages and disadvantages. It kills batteries, and it brings props into the frame, along with jello, when shooting into the sun, but speed also gets you there and back faster, and allows you to keep with and follow fast moving objects longer. The camera appears to handle dynamic range better than the P3P with less noise. The 120fps at 1080p and 30fps at 4K and 2x digital zoom in 2.7K are all new. The new follow modes for people and objects are awesome. It's primarily the hyped up battery life and range that are ticking everyone off. Both are easily fixable with mods we already have for the P3P. So, what to do...:confused:

Reading most of your posts, you are not really happy with this version, return it and GET OVER IT.
Many are perfectly happy with the P4.
Unlike you, the majority of Phantom owners don't have the slightest interest in modifying the Phantom to fly 5 miles or stay aloft for long periods.

Reactions: sar104
I'm disappointed in the battery life. I didn't say I was unhappy with the product.

Posting over & over about how you are disappointed in the battery life, won't improve flight times, but I do have a solution.
Simple, buy more batteries, problem solved.

Seriously? Assuming you actually have a P4 & are content with 1/3rd less than advertised run time & range in many cases, then fly & be happy. Let those of us who use the platform a bit more seriously work on the issues & you be content with your sub-par performing P4. Basically if you don't like the thread move on & GET OVER IT! :rolleyes:

Reading most of your posts, you are not really happy with this version, return it and GET OVER IT.
Many are perfectly happy with the P4.
Unlike you, the majority of Phantom owners don't have the slightest interest in modifying the Phantom to fly 5 miles or stay aloft for long periods.

The issue ultimately comes down to TRUTH. When a DJI VP tells me that the 28 minute flight time is "real world use" not "ideal conditions" (I posted his email) and that is what we should be getting - this is a big problem. There is a big disconnect between what DJI says you will get when you buy the product and what is delivered.
Here's an analogy:
You purchase a 128Gig iPhone and pay a premium for it. But in reality, it only has 80 Gigs of storage. You could say, "That's enough for me - all my stuff will only take up 70 Gigs" but you would be right in being pissed off about being misled about what you are paying for.

DB - hope you have a chance to write him today.

Reactions: Myetkt
Seriously? Assuming you actually have a P4 & are content with 1/3rd less than advertised run time & range in many cases, then fly & be happy. Let those of us who use the platform a bit more seriously work on the issues & you be content with your sub-par performing P4. Basically if you don't like the thread move on & GET OVER IT! :rolleyes:

Use the platform more seriously ???

DB, I have always viewed your insight with DJI products, with great respect, and I looked forward to your comments on the P4
Please don't take out your frustrations on me.

I purchased my Phantom 4 from DJI online store on the first day about 3 or 4 minutes after launch.
I received it from the Georgia warehouse on March 16, and I never even opened the outside shipping box.
My strategy was to watch the threads, and see how the P4 lived up to it's expectations.
I contacted DJI on Monday morning, and received instructions to ship my P4 to the Carson,California faculity, for a full refund.
It's on it way back now in a Fedex plane, not exactly how I anticipated it's first flight.

I will closely follow P4 reviews & evaluations in this forum, and other forums as well, and I will purchase another P4 when I feel that it will meet my expectations.
Please continue to provide your excellent evaluations, and observations, to help me better make an informed decision.

It's on a plane to Carson? It clearly has a flight time of HOURS and a range in the thousands of miles! ;)

DB, I have always viewed your insight with DJI products, with great respect, and I looked forward to your comments on the P4

I purchased my Phantom 4 from DJI online store on the first day about 3 or 4 minutes after launch.
I received it from the Georgia warehouse on March 16, and I never even opened the outside shipping box.
My strategy was to watch the threads, and see how the P4 lived up to it's expectations.
I contacted DJI on Monday morning, and received instructions to ship my P4 to the Carson,California faculity, for a full refund.
It's on it way back now in a Fedex plane, not exactly how I anticipated it's first flight.

I will closely follow P4 reviews & evaluations in this forum, and other forums as well, and I will purchase another P4 when I feel that it will meet my expectations.
Please continue to provide your excellent evaluations, and observations, to help me better make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Taking out my frustrations on you? I'm not frustrated. I'm disappointed in the P4's battery performance & I'm doing what I can to make it better.

You never opened the box, eh? But you posted a photo of your P4 with the bogus tale about all the free stuff DJI supposedly included. Then you claimed it was a prank when you were called out. Now you've returned your P4 without opening the box

Not sure where your concept of truth begins but my waders only go so high. Since you don't have a P4, why are you here?

I haven't posted much about my P4. I love everything about it. Build quality is awesome. BUT battery life and lack of range means it will probably be going back in a week for a full refund.

Heading out to Death Valley today to film. Taking my P4 and P3P.

To make a fair comparison to the P3 wouldn't you have to turn off at least the Obstacle Avoidance?

It's a pirates life for me

Maybe if we all keep complaining about flight times, Dji will make a bigger mah battery for the p4.... The inspire has two sized batteries available.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31