Phantom 4 auto landing

Reaction score
I haven't learned to manually land yet so I have been using the auto land feature. I've noticed while doing this my P4 sometimes lands pretty rough causing the camera to jolt pretty bad which assume isn't good for the whole aircraft in general. So I decided to order some P4 landing gear stabilizers. The more I think about them the more I wonder if using them would be a good idea. Adds weight, might cause p4 to tip due to being higher up and maybe easier to get p4 caught on something if flying close to objects. What are your thoughts on using them? I attached a photo of the exact ones I'm receiving. Not sure on the brand or using them in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I suggest you to practice manual landing. Use a flat board or flat surface with short grass. Try to lower down slowly and practice landing. Lateron you can also try hand catching.

I don't know how stable these additional landing gears are but look good for landing on little rough surfaces. Don't worry about additional weight of this gear but I don't think it can reduce shock landings. .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I suggest you to practice manual landing. Use a flat board or flat surface with short grass. Try to lower down slowly and practice landing. Lateron you can also try hand catching.

I don't know how stable these additional landing gears are but look good for landing on little rough surfaces. Don't worry about additional weight of this gear but I don't think it can reduce shock landings. .

Does yours land hard sometimes?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi. I have a P3 and use those landing gear add ons. Never had a tip. A friend has a P2 without them and he tips it a lot.

If you bring it in slow you experience buffeting and your bird will bounce around. I bring mine in to four feet and then final it by bringing it down fast. It's a lot smoother.

I also use the hoodman landing pad. Not cheap but great insurance. I always know the take off and landing condition.

Good luck and happy flying!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: direkMel
Hi. I have a P3 and use those landing gear add ons. Never had a tip. A friend has a P2 without them and he tips it a lot.

If you bring it in slow you experience buffeting and your bird will bounce around. I bring mine in to four feet and then final it by bringing it down fast. It's a lot smoother.

I also use the hoodman landing pad. Not cheap but great insurance. I always know the take off and landing condition.

Good luck and happy flying!

Thanks for the info! I really need to learn how to take off and land manually. I'm sure it's easier than I picture in my mind but I don't want to get ahead of myself. My goal for tomorrow- watch how to videos and attempt my first takeoff and landing. Fingers crossed! Thank you

Thanks for the info! I really need to learn how to take off and land manually. I'm sure it's easier than I picture in my mind but I don't want to get ahead of myself. My goal for tomorrow- watch how to videos and attempt my first takeoff and landing. Fingers crossed! Thank you
Try it on a day with no wind. Even with some wind it is easy. But no wind will give you more confidence.

When I take off I give it full throttle to about eye level. Then I let it hover as I rotate it to get a visual inspection. Battery seated. No wobble. Etc. Then I check the DJI Go battery screen to look for anything unusual.

Then I zoom to altitude. Fly!

Main thing about landing is to land in the clear and with firmness, holding down the throttle until the motors shut down.

Practice manual landing, you can land a P4 so smooth you would probably be able to land on a ants back without killing it..

I ran a piece of self stick foam window seal along bottom of legs except at gimbal lock locations for the few times I land manually, just softens it so slightly, most time hand catch.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I got my P4 a few days ago and never had one before, and after 1 day took off and landed manually, I think you will be surprise how easy it is. Good luck.[emoji106]

To build your confidence at landing, try the simulator. Read the manual to figure that out.

Bottom line, you need to know how to land. An accessory like that is just another hassle that you don't need, nor will it fit into most backpacks or cases. Bite the bullet and learn how to land, it's the natural progression to learn flying. You know you need to acquire this level of flight skill, don't put it off.

Someday you'll be hand launching and hand catching like this kid.

Yes i was nervous at first when i was taking off on my first flight but i quickly got use to the controls..

With the auto landing i did notice it landed a little bit rough but nothing major

With manual landing just gently pull the stick down and you'll find you will have a nice soft landing..

Dont worry i was nervous landing mine too for the first time

You'll be fine
Happy flying

I feel auto-landing feature is OK for absolute beginners, but practically useless in the end.
The aircraft comes down too fast and lands too hard. This is a fact. And you must be sure it lands exactly where you want it (unless you use the stick to fine tune its auto-landing), but this can be fully achieved with manual landing, so...

Also, you do want to have control in this delicate moment. You can fly the aircraft a couple of inches above ground, just go easy on the sticks. That's when you want to land. And the impact is less hard than the one produced by the auto-land feat. I feel I always want control when taking off and landing (except for when you show the drone to you friends and slide on the phone for taking off... that's bliss ;))

Next step is to hand-catch it. When it's above your head (so that you do not necessarily lose an eye - or two), take it by grabbing it firmly between the landing gear and the drone frame (in order not to stress the landing gear too much) and immediately pull down on the left stick to stop the motors. In 2 secs, the white chick will be in your hand, tranquil and blissful. Mission accomplished.

Thanks everyone some great advice. I took off manually and it went perfect. I haven't manually landed on the ground yet but that's because I hand catch everytime now. Easy money

Manual landing is the very first thing I learned to do with mine, but the closeness of the camera to the ground worried the heck out of me! So I ordered the same type of landing gear, carbon fiber there's hardly a few grams weight added and they do cushion it as well as raise the height for the camera! I think it's a good investment for the cost!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31