Phantom 4 Advance

Reaction score
Phantom Fam,

As you all know....
DJI has just released the new Phantom 4 Advanced....

I mean it looks nice....
It's missing the side and rear obstacle avoidance safety features that i have come to like.
But.... I guess what i'm asking is....
Is it worth buying or should i just get a Phantom 4 Pro instead?

Is it worth buying or should i just get a Phantom 4 Pro instead?
The side sensors are only used when flying in Beginner/Tripod mode. The rear sensors are only useful if you often fly backward. If I could only have one and my budget was not unlimited, I would definitely by the Phantom 4 Advanced. You need to decide if you really need those extra features and if the price is within your budget.

Reactions: Simzy666
I would definitely NOT buy the Advanced. It uses the same old GL300C controller that comes with P4. It's a weak controller, you'll need to upgrade it right away with a directional antenna if you want to fly over a mile away with a reasonable level of video down-link reliability. The new P4P controller with 5.8Ghz has much better range. DJI has bumped up the transmit power of the 5.8 band, providing a 3 to 4 mile range with the stock omni-directional antenna. For a mere $150 more, the value of the P4P is way better than P4A. You won't outgrow the P4P nearly as fast. It's all about distance and signal integrity, IMHO.

Reactions: DocDiggler
I would definitely NOT buy the Advanced. It uses the same old GL300C controller that comes with P4.
The P4A FAQ state the P4A remote controller is not compatible with other P4 aircraft. I'm assuming that means it's not the GL300C.

The P4A FAQ state the P4A remote controller is not compatible with other P4 aircraft. I'm assuming that means it's not the GL300C.
That's interesting, the DJI website uses GL300C as the model number for the no-display version. It also doesn't support 5.8Ghz, which implies lightbridge 1 (P4 version).

upload_2017-4-17_10-32-7.png

Last edited:
That's interesting, the DJI website uses GL300C as the model number for the no-display version. It also doesn't support 5.8Ghz, which implies lightbridge 1 (P4 version).
And the remote controller range has been increased by 1.2 miles. I agree though -- it's very interesting.

DJI made two versions of GL300C, I believe. One that has a PSA mode switch for P4, and one that has PAF mode switch for P3P. This could be a third type of GL300C that's potentially incompatible with other craft using same model# GL300C. How confusing it that?

Last edited:
DJI made two versions of GL300C, I believe. One that has a PSA mode switch for P4, and one that has PAF mode switch for P3P. This could be a third type of GL300C that's potentially incompatible with other craft using same model# GL300C. How confusing it that?

Very Confusing!!

Ok so I'm looking at the new deal on the P4 "standard" and it says it has a

5000m= 3mi 188.yard range. Vs P3 standard 1000m which is what I have now.

Ok so I'm looking at the new deal on the P4 "standard" and it says it has a

5000m= 3mi 188.yard range. Vs P3 standard 1000m which is what I have now.

There is no P4 STANDARD, it's just called a P4. There are now three versions of P4......

P4
P4A
P4P

If you're in the US it's rated at 3.1mi, I'm not sure where you're seeing 188 yards, unless you're converting 1/10mi into yards for some reason, which would be 176yrds. However, P4 using the stock GL300C controller struggles to reach 1 mile reliably, unless you're in the boonies. It's not as good at P3P with GL300A or B.

upload_2017-4-18_20-29-31.png

There is no P4 STANDARD, it's just called a P4. There are now three versions of P4......

P4
P4A
P4P

If you're in the US it's rated at 3.1mi, I'm not sure where you're seeing 188 yards, unless you're converting 1/10mi into yards for some reason, which would be 176yrds. However, P4 using the stock GL300C controller struggles to reach 1 mile reliably, unless you're in the boonies. It's not as good at P3P with GL300A or B.

View attachment 80744

Here's a screenshot of my p4 at a little under 4000 meters in my neighborhood with no antenna mods. Not seeing the distance issues with my p4.

Last edited:
Here's a screenshot of my p4 at a little under 4000 meters in my neighborhood with no antenna mods. Not seeing the distance issues with my p4.

3001363b30d573180a928ce273654b8a.jpg
That flight you show is less than 4000ft (not meters), which is less than a mile. But like I said, it's about reliability, sometimes you can reach a mile, but most of the time I experience disconnects starting at about 4000ft using GL300C controller. However with GL658 controller, 2+ miles no problem flying P4 in most anywhere, and 3+ miles in rural areas.

Hey Elia, I was near you last month, only 5mi to the south, check this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurupt Hawaiian
That flight you show is less than 4000ft (not meters), which is less than a mile. But like I said, it's about reliability, sometimes you can reach a mile, but most of the time I experience disconnects starting at about 4000ft. However with GL658 controller, 2+ miles no problem most anywhere, and 3+ miles in rural areas.

Oh **** that's my bad. Lol. I had it on meters before. But switched it. I feel stupid now.

Reactions: Shoemaker
That flight you show is less than 4000ft (not meters), which is less than a mile. But like I said, it's about reliability, sometimes you can reach a mile, but most of the time I experience disconnects starting at about 4000ft using GL300C controller. However with GL658 controller, 2+ miles no problem flying P4 in most anywhere, and 3+ miles in rural areas.

Hey Elia, I was near you last month, only 5mi to the south, check this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's awesome! Smooth video. Were you staying at Aulani? Ko'olina has been crazy packed ever since it opened. You got instagram? Follow me and I'll follow back if you're on. @kurupt_hawaiian

That's awesome! Smooth video. Were you staying at Aulani? Ko'olina has been crazy packed ever since it opened. You got instagram? Follow me and I'll follow back if you're on. @kurupt_hawaiian
Sorry, no instagram for me. We stayed a Marriott Ko Olina, one of our favorite vacation spots. Super nice.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic