Phantom 4 3 battery charger/discharger question

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has its own thread somewhere (if so, kindly point me to it.
I believe this is my first post (maybe second, sorry). I recently purchased a P4P. After watching a bunch of youtube videos, I discovered that the batteries need special care to optimize their life. I thought a DJI battery charger/discharger was the way to go.
I ordered and received a Phantom 4 charger today and after reading the instructions discovered that they say to only charge/discharge Phantom 4 batteries with it. Will charging/discharging my P4P batteries (with their higher a/h rating) harm them?
I wanted some expert advice before plugging them in.
Thanks in advance.
Zeldon50

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

After watching a bunch of youtube videos, I discovered that the batteries need special care to optimize their life.
I thought a DJI battery charger/discharger was the way to go.
The batteries discharge themselves to long-term storage when not used.
I'd be skeptical about the information from your youtube videos.

There's a gentleman in Greece who makes a unit called the Phantom Angel, here's the link to his WebSite: http://phantomangel.rocks/ this little item is a fantastic tool to discharge DJI Flight Batteries and it does it in 25 minutes. I believe he asks $68. for them and an international shipping charge of $8.00

I have one of his units and it's a breeze to use and although I do have the DJI gang charger/discharger, I use the Phantom Angel because it does the job in 25 minutes instead of hours and hours with the DJI unit. Give it a look lads and I think you'll be very pleased with what you find. The gentleman's name is Alex Proto and he's very nice to deal with.

Bud

I use the Phantom Angel because it does the job in 25 minutes instead of hours and hours
I'm just wondering why someone would be in a hurry to discharge a battery. I use the DJI charge hub for 3 battery sequential charging and discharging all the time. The best feature, besides discharging to a proper charge for storage purposes (about 65%), is the ability to charge up dead batteries to storage level (65%) also, and doing this for 3 batteries sequentially without having to monitor things. Nothing else does that. Then, when you know you're going to fly, they are over half charged, ready to top off the night before you fly. Topping all 3 batteries off takes about 90min (30min each) since they are already partly charged.

I see no need to discharge batteries any faster. Regarding the "deep discharge" feature of the "Angel", there has been no evidence proving that a deep discharge helps a LiPo battery, and DJI has stopped recommending this so called "calibration" process. $75 for something that only discharges provides a low ROI in my book, when the DJI hub provides the most utility and convenience, servicing 3 batteries at a time, for $64.

FYI, the DJI charge hub is also light enough to take on vacation, since it uses the stock DJI charger for power. It fits nicely in my ThinkTank Helipak backpack with all my other P4 stuff.

upload_2017-1-25_16-59-44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek
I also have the DJI hub and use it for charging P4p HC batteries. No problems so far. I also purchased a spare DJI 100w charger so I can essentially charge two batteries at the same time for when I don't have the time to wait for a battery to top off before the next flight.

Thank you for your point of view. I appreciate your comments.

Bud
ps
Just a note. I too have the DJI charger/discharger but up here the price is $112.00 on Amazon.ca

I'm just wondering why someone would be in a hurry to discharge a battery. I use the DJI charge hub for 3 battery sequential charging and discharging all the time. The best feature, besides discharging to a proper charge for storage purposes (about 65%), is the ability to charge up dead batteries to storage level (65%) also, and doing this for 3 batteries sequentially without having to monitor things. Nothing else does that. Then, when you know you're going to fly, they are over half charged, ready to top off the night before you fly. Topping all 3 batteries off takes about 90min (30min each) since they are already partly charged.

I see no need to discharge batteries any faster. Regarding the "deep discharge" feature of the "Angel", there has been no evidence proving that a deep discharge helps a LiPo battery, and DJI has stopped recommending this so called "calibration" process. $75 for something that only discharges provides a low ROI in my book, when the DJI hub provides the most utility and convenience, servicing 3 batteries at a time, for $64.

FYI, the DJI charge hub is also light enough to take on vacation, since it uses the stock DJI charger for power. It fits nicely in my ThinkTank Helipak backpack with all my other P4 stuff.

View attachment 74442

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20