Phantom 4 18,000 feet!!!

Reaction score
Took phantom 4 18000 feet out and realized I was running low on battery. I was forced to land about 300 feet away in midst of trees and power lines, but landed safely. Phantom still had full signal. I think I still had another couple thousand feet left. I didn't get weak signal message till I turned around to head home. Attached is screen shot.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 810
I went out 10,000 today with no signal loss, stock. Were you stock as well?

Excellent. I have windsurfers on the way, I guess the only limitation in good flying environments will be battery life.

Man you guys have some nice wide open land

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Original OP,

I hope you have your phantom registered with the FAA. That way when your phantom strikes a commercial aircraft traveling at 350mph and it crashes maybe the NTSB will be able to find the bits and pieces of your aircraft.

You know you are flying very near a ATC jetway (route) used by by air traffic controllers to direct and route all civilian aircraft carrying passengers?

The two pictures I've attached show two commercial airliners that are 7000 feet lower than your aircraft.

In about a 30 minute observation of IFR aircraft in your area I noted five flights that came within a mile of where you were flying; all of them between 8000-16000 feet..

View attachment 59010View attachment 59011

Where in the world do you think he was 18K up!?!?! When the mechanical limit of the bird is 1600 AGL... Fairly certain your account should be deleted.

Original OP,

I hope you have your phantom registered with the FAA. That way when your phantom strikes a commercial aircraft traveling at 350mph and it crashes maybe the NTSB will be able to find the bits and pieces of your aircraft.

You know you are flying very near a ATC jetway (route) used by by air traffic controllers to direct and route all civilian aircraft carrying passengers?

The two pictures I've attached show two commercial airliners that are 7000 feet lower than your aircraft.

In about a 30 minute observation of IFR aircraft in your area I noted five flights that came within a mile of where you were flying; all of them between 8000-16000 feet..

While I completely agree with your sentiment, it appears to me he was just over 400ft altitude at the time of the screen shot.

Might you be confusing distance with altitude? Seems like it. :oops:

Original OP,

You know you are flying very near a ATC airway(route) used by by air traffic controllers to direct and route all civilian aircraft carrying passengers?

Btw, airways are 8 nautical miles wide, so any of those AC could have traveled right by /through your phantom.

I was only 400 feet and some change in altitude. I live out in the country and Its so flat I can basically keep line of sight even at extreme distances. 18000 was distance, not altitude. Phantom's are limited by software to prevent them from climbing more than 1600 or so feet. 18,000 feet altitude would be impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWarren
IMG_0226.PNG
Think before you comment bud. I was only 400 feet and some change in altitude. I live out in the country and Its so flat I can basically keep line of sight even at extreme distances. 18000 was distance, not altitude. Do some research before you judge. Phantom's are limited by software to prevent them from climbing more than 1600 or so feet. 18,000 feet altitude would be impossible.
My apologies. U are correct. Sorry I misinterpreted your post.

My brain cramp was probably due to just reviewing the specs of the phantom.

Reactions: BigAl07
Where in the world do you think he was 18K up!?!?! When the mechanical limit of the bird is 1600 AGL... Fairly certain your account should be deleted.
Kind of extreme don't you think?

I'd leave the "Account Deletion" options/suggestions up to the STAFF members of this forum.

Last edited:
None... [yet???]

I've flown 12,000 high before, but I was only 150' AGL at Loveland pass. Loveland pass. I've often needed more than 1640' (500m) above take off level when climbing mountains, while still being only 200' AGL. It would be within the FAA guidelines. Someday I hope DJI increases their vertical flight limite to 2600' like Autel offers. I see lots of good reports on Autel's distance, even without Lightbridge, due to their 900mhz band. Apparently 900mhz works better with plain old wifi protocol for video.

Is there a way around the P4's 1500ft limit?
Yes, if you put your bird in a hypobaric chamber and lower the barometric pressure before starting the motors. I've tried this using an ordinary upright vacuum cleaner and got 160m more out of it. Theoretically you could set the home point to what ever altitude you want.

Took phantom 4 18000 feet out and realized I was running low on battery. I was forced to land about 300 feet away in midst of trees and power lines, but landed safely. Phantom still had full signal. I think I still had another couple thousand feet left. I didn't get weak signal message till I turned around to head home. Attached is screen shot.
Holy crap!!! Good god man.

Yes, if you put your bird in a hypobaric chamber and lower the barometric pressure before starting the motors. I've tried this using an ordinary upright vacuum cleaner and got 160m more out of it. Theoretically you could set the home point to what ever altitude you want.

How did you use vacuum? What did you do?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub