Phantom 3A remote

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm in the market for a new remote for my phantom 3A, I was wondering which one should I try and get the A,B or C? Thanks

Hello everyone! I'm in the market for a new remote for my phantom 3A, I was wondering which one should I try and get the A,B or C? Thanks
A or B remotes were considered to be better due to higher transmitting power for range, however they are the first and second generation of RC's and are hard to get. Even if you can find one, the battery's life expectancy is low for controllers of that age. The battery is next to impossible to find as DJI has made them un available to the public. They want to sell you a new remote instead.
The C generation is all you will most likely find new or some what used, however this generation of RC has less power for range.
If you are not a long range flyer, then that is probably no problem.
If you want better range from a class C RC, you have to perform antenna mods or use a set of wind surfers.
Good luck with the find.
BB..

Personally, I prefer the B just due to the processor and the slight increase in ouput, but I also run a 300C and REALLY don't notice a whole lot of difference (I also run a DBS though). By the end of the day.. I would take either based solely on price and condition.

I would steer clear of the A's. As mentioned.. there is the battery to consider, but it also has a slower processor and less accurate controller power estimation capability.

IMHO

I might want add to this thread that if you can get a first or second generation Inspire 1 RC, you will have way much better range than the P3's 300 series.
Yes, the Inspire 1 controller is compatible with the Phantom 3 A and P.

I've found a good deal on a inspire RC, the number is GL658A. Will this be okay to use with my P3A? One more thing will my factory charger work with this RC? Thanks

I've found a good deal on a inspire RC, the number is GL658A. Will this be okay to use with my P3A? One more thing will my factory charger work with this RC? Thanks
Yes, that controller will work and your charger will work fine as well.
Be sure to ask the seller about battery condition and approximately how many flights was it used for.

It's a new never used RC, just wanted to make sure that it would work with my P3A before purchasing. Thank you for your time Blue Bird, and the other members also!!

It's a new never used RC, just wanted to make sure that it would work with my P3A before purchasing. Thank you for your time Blue Bird, and the other members also!!
No problem. When you get, you will have to link or pair the new RC to the aircraft.
You will also have to update the controller before you can use by downloading and installing the phantom 3 advanced FW version 1.3.20.
This is critical Firmware for the remote if it is a brand new model GL658A.
You will need to install that firmware on a USB flash drive and insert into the USB port on the back of the controller before you turn it on for the first time. It should update by flashing blue. The controller should beep for up to 60 seconds or so until the update is complete.
At this point, you can pair the RC with aircraft. Once paired, you can proceed to further update the controller in the GO 3 app. It will ask to upgrade, so be sure to complete these procedures of the controller or it will not link or work correctly.
You can PM me for more details or help should you need it.
Good luck! BB...

Reactions: Oso
Personally, I prefer the B just due to the processor and the slight increase in ouput, but I also run a 300C and REALLY don't notice a whole lot of difference (I also run a DBS though). By the end of the day.. I would take either based solely on price and condition.

I would steer clear of the A's. As mentioned.. there is the battery to consider, but it also has a slower processor and less accurate controller power estimation capability.

IMHO

Question about the dbs. Is it super directional? Do you have to be spot on with your aiming for it to work right?

Question about the dbs. Is it super directional?

Not especially. Don't quote me.. I would have to look it up, but if I remember correctly it has something like a 70 degree horizontal and 30 degrees up and down vertical "view". Of course, direct line of sight with the DBS perpendicular to the drone gives the strongest signal, but just tonight I had my 3A up at 398', 1.3 miles out and flew almost a 1/2 mile laterally at distance (cough.. with high power electric line towers 1/4mile out along my flight path... cough). Never dropped a bar and never re-oriented.

When I notice the need to re-orient the most is when I'm at altitude in close quarters. Shooting a waterfall.. coming in over a tree stand near my landing zone, etc. or when I am at extreme distance.. 20 degrees left or right can pick you up a bar or 2.

Did you notice a big difference in a neighborhood setting? Best I can get in my hood is about 4,200ft before RTH kicked in. Do you notice the extra weight out in front of the controller?

Did you notice a big difference in a neighborhood setting? Best I can get in my hood is about 4,200ft before RTH kicked in. Do you notice the extra weight out in front of the controller?

I run an ipad air 2.. often with a sun shade.. I don't notice the DBS at all! :D I do use a strap but with the weight of the Air 2 I really couldn't say how much forward weight the DBS adds. It's not uncomfortable at all.

There are so many factors at play it's difficult to predict what your results might be, but for me, my DBS's routinely average nearly double the range in higher frequency traffic areas, and more than 3 times the distance in "quiet" areas for the type of flying I do. That's to say... I fly manually on selected channels and never fly until RTH. I start dropping a bar for any sustained length of time and I'm usually heading in the other direction. I really have no idea how far I "could" go. Not really my thing.

Judging performance by range at full signal.. 2-3 times I would say is QUITE a significant increase.

OP: Sorry for the hi-jack.

On edit: I guess I could add... the previous flight I mentioned was, in what I would consider, a high frequency area. 22 wireless networks at strength in range, a set of standard power lines, another line of high power transmission lines and a cell tower 1/8 mile away. Having flown that flight path before... I was no where near dropping a bar let alone an RTH.

Last edited:
No problem Yarome! I enjoy reading and learning everything I can about my new hobby. Thanks again for the heads up about updating the RC Blue Bird, I will probably have to pm you once I get the new RC.

No problem Yarome! I enjoy reading and learning everything I can about my new hobby. Thanks again for the heads up about updating the RC Blue Bird, I will probably have to pm you once I get the new RC.
No worries, anytime.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic