Phantom 3?

Reaction score
I have been hearing a reasonable amount of 'chatter' on various sites relating to Quadcopters that DJI may be releasing an all new model of quad in the near future which will (according to the rumours) be logically called the Phantom 3. Some have suggested that the recent drop in prices of all the P2 models is to clear stocks of the current model such as car manufacturers do with 'run outs' on outgoing models. Others have suggested that they have dropped price simply to meet the market with several cheap brands of quad being released in the last few months.

Will they release a new model that will fit with the new Gopro 4 or will the next new model part ways with Gopro completely and just stick to the Vision + style of camera? Who knows?

My own belief is that they are obviously going to bring out a P3, at some stage, but whether this is in the lead up to Christmas 2014 or later could be anyone's guess. I am also at a loss as to what features they could build into the P3 that the current model doesn't already have. I guess everyone has their own wish list with what improvements they'd like to see on the next model. I've heard that collision avoidance may be built into the P3 but this may have just been an optimistically hopeful wish by some forum poster who crashes a lot? Personally I wouldn't be happy paying for built in collision avoidance because I rarely, if ever crash into things.

I fly a slightly modded P2 with H3-3D gimbal, Immersion 600mw Tx, extended landing gear and GS data-link. I love my bird and have flown it on some pretty epic journeys. I would be reluctant to upgrade just for the sake of it as we all know how painful things can be for early adapters of new models (see bendy iPhone 6) but I would upgrade in a heartbeat if the new model gave me 30min + flight times.

Clearly this post is purely speculative but I would imagine that someone from DJI is going to read it. Post your wish lists as a reply and who knows, it might come true!!

PetePerrim said:
I have been hearing a reasonable amount of 'chatter' on various sites relating to Quadcopters that DJI may be releasing an all new model of quad in the near future which will (according to the rumours) be logically called the Phantom 3.

This is just another post contributing to that chatter and it has as much substance as all the rest - none at all.

I think it's going to be hard to predict what DJI does, but let's assume they continue along with the same strategy Apple uses to fleece people; While there's no doubt that a new "model" will appear at some point, probably just before Christmas, the fact that it took them a matter of perhaps 6 months to go from a P2 to a P2V+ would indicate that they were probably already close to completing the P2V+ when they released the P2V. They knew it was going to be inferior, but instead of trashing the tooling, they decided to push it out, capitalize (heavily), and follow up soon-after with a WAY better design. The strategy is not unlike what Apple does with iPhone "S" models. I would probably expect DJI to release something with at least one major flaw, which will be shortly followed up by the true next gen model with no way to "upgrade." Whether that's a hardware-based gimp, a software based gimp, or something in between, I can assume you it will be gimped in some way which opens the door for a revised "+" version.

Man are we still talking old news about the P3??? Wow that's old hat, us in the know are already talking about the new Dji Spark 1+ the specs look amazing. The usual problems about the new smart batteries going to cost us a fortune but I love the new feature of being able to let others see your live feed online just like you can do with an ip cctv camera with the new app. Must say I'm impressed. If they can make the landing gear just fold and dissappear like they do in the video I will be buying it just for that. I know its only a prototype video but man you have to admit its drool worthy with the camera/head tracking in conjunction with the new samsung note 4 and oculus rift headset combo. Cant wait!!!

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Man are we still talking old news about the P3??? Wow that's old hat, us in the know are already talking about the new Dji Spark 1+ the specs look amazing. The usual problems about the new smart batteries going to cost us a fortune but I love the new feature of being able to let others see your live feed online just like you can do with an ip cctv camera with the new app. Must say I'm impressed. If they can make the landing gear just fold and dissappear like they do in the video I will be buying it just for that. I know its only a prototype video but man you have to admit its drool worthy with the camera/head tracking in conjunction with the new samsung note 4 and oculus rift headset combo. Cant wait!!!
Where did you see this about the spark?

All I know is that dropping prices like DJI did is not cool for people who just bought one.
Apple never did such a drastic price drop because they know customer lose trust in the company.
Like I just did.

I paid full price for mine and I am not upset at all about a price drop. It will be be less expensive to replace when mine flys away.

xavpil said:
All I know is that dropping prices like DJI did is not cool for people who just bought one.
Apple never did such a drastic price drop because they know customer lose trust in the company.
Like I just did.

this is absolutely not true. 1 day before the iPhone 6 release, the iphone 5 series was a certain price. the next day, the iPhone 6 was that price and the 5 series dropped .

price drops happen, and most companies don't announce exactly when. it's pure luck most of the time

their job (Apple, DJI, all companies) is to make as much money from you as possible selling their product. their job is not to save you money... that's your job :)

xavpil said:
Like I just did.
I missed the price change by 10 days. Oh well, thats life.
If you lose trust in a company because of a price drop, you must not trust any company on earth. I'm pretty sure they all have dropped prices on everything at one time or another. Get over it.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

If you enter 'DJI Spark' into Dr Google and the only references that come up are about the anti spark battery connectors on the S1000 then I think it's pretty safe to say that you're full of ****. If you've seen a promo video of a prototype then as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, there will be a trace of this 'Spark' somewhere on the www.

Hmmm.

I saw it as a joke or otherwise satire on the numerous inquiries and wild speculation about this.

If something is/was known it would be prominently posted I assure you.

Meta4 "called it" awhile back.

I hope the next Vision allows you to take RAW. Stills a lot more quickly. That and maybe have a less noise producing sensor.

N017RW said:
Hmmm.

I saw it as a joke or otherwise satire on the numerous inquiries and wild speculation about this.

If something is/was known it would be prominently posted I assure you.

Meta4 "called it" awhile back.
Haha at least someone got the joke ;)

From logical evolution I could imagine that the P3 is almost same as P2, but with lots of changes in details.
The actual 5.8 GHz transmitter of the Vision(+) is crap and DJI might try to go back for 2,4 GHz, utilising their experiences from LightBridge. So I expect a more integrated solution on the transmitter side, WIFI repeater built into the tx itself, tx commands send directly via WIFI repeater same as Lightbridge does, instead of using a seperate radio solution as is today.
There might be both an improved Vision+ cameras as well as an improved GoPro gimbal available.

Regards, Gerd

Not sure where I saw it but some time ago there was a news article about a quad that followed you around at a specified distance. They demod it on a bmx track following round a rider. I'd like that feature - a dongle/transmitter that fits in your pocket and the Phantom just keeps with you.

As for the Phantom 3, I heard they were introducing the "no fly away" feature and the "no early autoland feature".......

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor