Phantom 3 won't take pictures/video

Reaction score
I have the phantom 3 professional with the latest 1.3.20 firmware on it. I run either a Galaxy S5 or Galaxy Tab 4 7" tablet with the 1.2.0 DJIPilot app on it.

I am having an issue with the drone not taking pictures when you click on the shutter button in the app, or click the button on the remote control. I can take off from the ground, take about 2 or 3 pictures or video with it, but then it stops working. It stops doing this during midflight. I can bring it back to the ground, powercycle everything, then take back off and it will do the same thing, it'll take a couple/three pictures, then stop working.

I did not have this issue before I performed the firmware upgrade to the 1.3.20

Has anyone else experienced issues like this with the camera not taking pictures or video?

Reactions: Frank Candor
Use a different micro SD card to confirm. You should have several anyway, in case this ever happens again, and to swap out in between every flight and battery change, so you never lose your already recorded files, should the drone not be recoverable, for whatever reason. Stuff happens. You can replace the drone, but the files are irreplaceable!:cool:

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen! I got it working with your advice.
I reformatted card in computer and it was still doing the same thing. So then I put in the drone and reformatted it and it works fine when done that way.
I been trying to figure this out for 3 days.
Posting here was a much faster response than trying to contact dji for support.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Thank you gentlemen! I got it working with your advice.
I reformatted card in computer and it was still doing the same thing. So then I put in the drone and reformatted it and it works fine when done that way.
I been trying to figure this out for 3 days.
Posting here was a much faster response than trying to contact dji for support.

Thanks again for the assistance!
Glad it worked. I had a similar issue today with a card I had previously used for a .bin file firmware update. The P3P would not connect to the DJI GO app with this card inserted, even thought the .bin file was deleted. Apparently, something remained behind in the MISC directory. Swapped cards and everything was fine. Reformatted the other card in both my PC and in the P3P, and now it works again, too! Whenever possible format in the drone. If not possible, format first in a computer, and then reformat in the drone.

Glad it worked. I had a similar issue today with a card I had previously used for a .bin file firmware update. The P3P would not connect to the DJI GO app with this card inserted, even thought the .bin file was deleted. Apparently, something remained behind in the MISC directory. Swapped cards and everything was fine. Reformatted the other card in both my PC and in the P3P, and now it works again, too! Whenever possible format in the drone. If not possible, format first in a computer, and then reformat in the drone.

Howdy i'm having this same issue now, P34K will take video, but only maybe 2 pictures, and since i formatted card,(in Drone) just now, the screen greys out when i press shutter, since last firmware upgrade, when i do snap a picture it sends me to the "preview" screen and pressing it again gets me back to "flying screen" /live camera, and i did just get it back after a shell replacement, && i have the GO 4 app also, for flying my mavic,??

well i'm an idiot. rather than erase this ALL i'm just gonna share ; THAT I WAS PRESSING THE WRONG BUTTON! flying 2 drones different from each other is more than i can handle, apparently, kinda funny, but sad.

Last edited:
Howdy i'm having this same issue now, P34K will take video, but only maybe 2 pictures, and since i formatted card,(in Drone) just now, the screen greys out when i press shutter, since last firmware upgrade, when i do snap a picture it sends me to the "preview" screen and pressing it again gets me back to "flying screen" /live camera, and i did just get it back after a shell replacement, && i have the GO 4 app also, for flying my mavic,??

well i'm an idiot. rather than erase this ALL i'm just gonna share ; THAT I WAS PRESSING THE WRONG BUTTON! flying 2 drones different from each other is more than i can handle, apparently, kinda funny, but sad.
One other funny, but sad and dangerous thing that can happen when flying by VLOS is make sure the drone you are watching and trying to control is your own! Nothing worse than panicking when you suddenly have no control whatsoever over the drone in front of you because your drone is just out of view, and the one you see is being controlled by someone else. Meanwhile, you are crashing your own drone with your wild stick maneuvers! :eek: Be safe out there. Sometimes the problem is as simple as pressing the wrong button. Other times it may be trying to control the wrong drone! :cool:

well,.. i could never in a couple years time, try to fly both at the same time,... or within range of someone else's, guess i gotta write it off to; drain bamage, half-heimerz, ....STAY CALM! FLY SAFEly!:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl