Phantom 3 vs Sharks

Reaction score
I saw a story on the news today where lifeguards are starting to use a drone to locate sharks in the water around the populated areas of the beach. They showed the drone being used and it was a P3P! The video they showed of them finding sharks was pretty amazing as well.

This is great press. Love seeing stories like this that are not negative towards this hobby!

Reactions: Bag1 and GoodnNuff
Article is a month or so old. Still awesome though! I would love to get into volunteer work for public service with my p3p.

Article is a month or so old. Still awesome though! I would love to get into volunteer work for public service with my p3p.
This was a story being aired on TV news.. maybe they just caught up.

This summer while at the beach, we did a couple shark spotting runs when the lighting is right. NC coast water isn't that clear, but when the sun is in the right spot you can see sharks, fish schools, etc. Spotted a large shark at Oak Island in early June...a couple weeks later 7 shark attacks, most at Oak Island.

I saw a story on the news today where lifeguards are starting to use a drone to locate sharks in the water around the populated areas of the beach. They showed the drone being used and it was a P3P! The video they showed of them finding sharks was pretty amazing as well.

This is great press. Love seeing stories like this that are not negative towards this hobby!

All while bad press today, where some angry neighbor shot a drone out of the sky using a shotgun. Oy.

Yep, but he got charged for that...

No, he got charged for firing his weapon in the air, which there was a city ordinance for. It's being looked at to determine how to deal with the rest of that situation, because he claimed that they were invading his privacy. He also "plans" to sue the drone owner.

My point was that the type of press that was, was negative for us, because while this dude was getting photos and footage of a neighboring house, the issue arises from the fact that the birds have a nice eye on them, which invades privacy. That kind of thing (the invasion or privacy) is something that will be a factor in more regulations. Before these things didn't have nice cameras on them...and now they do. Lots of people make stuff up that robbers can better plan on how to rob places, creeps can spy on people, etc etc. I don't agree with any of this of course, but the argument is there and it's not good for those of us who are peaceful drone owners who fly for hobby or for business.

That's all I'm saying. I just wish that didn't happen, that's all. You can get a good feel of how the general public feels about drones and privacy if you read the comments on the articles regarding this incident.

The article I saw on the internet of the Kentucky drone shooting was justified if the shooter was telling the truth that his daughter was sunbathing in their backyard when the drone flew over and hovered over her. It is stupid stuff like this that will cause responsible drone owners to suffer.

The article I saw on the internet of the Kentucky drone shooting was justified if the shooter was telling the truth that his daughter was sunbathing in their backyard when the drone flew over and hovered over her. It is stupid stuff like this that will cause responsible drone owners to suffer.

Exactly. If they wanted to investigate more, they could pull up flight data and see exactly where that bird was to determine if he was lying or not.

But that's exactly the kind of stuff that bothers people. You set up a 6-foot privacy fence and you expect privacy. It's one thing if someone flies over the yard in passing, but hovering there and having the camera pointing right at it, is just a bad idea. I try not to spend any time over people's homes when I'm filming. Usually if I plan on being in that kind of area, I speak to neighbors who will have it in their immediate line of sight and I explain to them what I'm doing and why, so that they don't freak out and call the copst. Most of the time they just want to see it fly or they're like "okay, cool! Have fun."

lifeguards are starting to use a drone to locate sharks in the water around the populated areas of the beach
I keep looking for sharks but just find dolphins
DJI_0431a-XL.jpg

DJI_0803a-XL.jpg

The article I saw on the internet of the Kentucky drone shooting was justified if the shooter was telling the truth that his daughter was sunbathing in their backyard when the drone flew over and hovered over her. It is stupid stuff like this that will cause responsible drone owners to suffer.[/QUO
Oh my! There are people flying their drones over crowds of fish?! Think of the fish! Don't post videos of flying over crowds of fish!
I think PETA has a law out saying that you cant invade the privacy of Dolphins.

Reactions: snerd
Exactly. If they wanted to investigate more, they could pull up flight data and see exactly where that bird was to determine if he was lying or not.

But that's exactly the kind of stuff that bothers people. You set up a 6-foot privacy fence and you expect privacy. It's one thing if someone flies over the yard in passing, but hovering there and having the camera pointing right at it, is just a bad idea. I try not to spend any time over people's homes when I'm filming. Usually if I plan on being in that kind of area, I speak to neighbors who will have it in their immediate line of sight and I explain to them what I'm doing and why, so that they don't freak out and call the copst. Most of the time they just want to see it fly or they're like "okay, cool! Have fun."
The flight data showed the drone was 272' away and the pilot did admit he was hovering for a few minutes but that that height what could possibly be seen?? The shooter was out of line..

Reactions: merophosis
Oh my! There are people flying their drones over crowds of fish?! Think of the fish! Don't post videos of flying over crowds of fish!
I can't figure out if you're being serious or sarcastic snerd

I can't figure out if you're being serious or sarcastic snerd
That was so long ago, I had to go look haha! Yes, I was being sarcastic. That's my schtick. The chicken-littles were proclaiming the end of the world whenever they saw someone in a video. I didn't want the fishes left out!

Reactions: 30secs
The flight data showed the drone was 272' away and the pilot did admit he was hovering for a few minutes but that that height what could possibly be seen?? The shooter was out of line..
I'm not arguing whether the shooter was right or wrong, but the altitude seems to grow in every story and thread and just doesn't pass the "sniff test". I think I may have to set up some testing this weekend, but at 270' I can't imagine anything less than a F or T size lead pellet would still have enough energy and mass to penetrate or knock it down, and it would be a pure luck shot at that range with so few pellets.

I keep looking for sharks but just find dolphins
DJI_0431a-XL.jpg

DJI_0803a-XL.jpg
Found these while browsing through forum prior to first flight with a new P3P... Great dolphin shots - how high were you? Those characters are insatiably curious and have a 25-30 foot vertical leap! Could lead to a wild, aquatic version of the "retrieved by dog" threads.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj