Phantom 3 vs Q500?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a current Phantom 3 Standard owner. I love the machine but due to its limited range I want to upgrade so I am considering either going up to the P3 Advanced or over to the Yuneec Q500. My biggest concern is flyaway risk, these are expensive machines to lose due to a malfunction (not pilot error). The P3 scares me a little because, even though Iv never had an issue, it seems to have a reputation of being a flyaway king. The impression that I get is that a flyaway is not a matter of if, but when, The Yuneec appears to put a lot of focus on reducing flyaway risk. Besides the lower flyaway risk and better looks, the PS3 appears to beat the Q500 in every other area. Could you guys give me some imput to help me make a decision?

Thanks Guys!

I have to confirm. Flyaways for the P3 adv are very rare. The adv will use the same batteries. The q500 is big, slow and nowhere near as polished a product.

I would agree, most fly always are not really fly always but pilot error, lack of knowledge, bad calibrations, bad setup, lack of pre and post flight checks. Have had my p3p for a year now and never have had any issues at all, I don't do the compass dance non stop before every flight, I've flown in all types of terrain, near high voltage towers, radio and cell towers etc.

Reactions: mrcrane2u
But the Q500 is impressive in looks. Does well in short range applications which now with the FAA rulings is all one is supposed to be doing with line of sight rules. Very stable camera platform and can easily change the flight response with a slide of switch. Hot shoe camera removal. No blinking updates all the time. Built in FPV screen is a big plus so a pretty quick time to flight. Used ones are going for under $800. Batteries are $20 cheaper. Negative, is it takes a large case to transport with props on.

But the Q500 is impressive in looks. Does well in short range applications which now with the FAA rulings is all one is supposed to be doing with line of sight rules. Very stable camera platform and can easily change the flight response with a slide of switch. Hot shoe camera removal. No blinking updates all the time. Built in FPV screen is a big plus so a pretty quick time to flight. Used ones are going for under $800. Batteries are $20 cheaper. Negative, is it takes a large case to transport with props on.

The VLOS rule had always been there, it is not new.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am leaning toward the P3A. The speed and range advantage is a big plus for me. I know flying outside LOS is frowned upon but I often do it because I am in a very rural area and use it to check out distant areas of my property. I also live half the year in China and the smaller carrying case is a big plus too. The flyaway concern is maybe overblown. I calibrate my compass before each flight and do a RTH test just to confirm everything is ok.

Do not do a compass calibration before every flight. If you have a good calibration, leave it alone. It IS NOT necessary. If the app tells you to do it, then do it. If you are flying hundreds of mile from your last flight, then do it. But do not do it every flight. By doing so you are possibly introducing unnecessary errors. I have been flying for years. I have done my calibration once on any of my quads unless I replaced a flight controller or did an update that required it. The declination is not going to change that much at every new flight location. I have had zero issues.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am leaning toward the P3A. The speed and range advantage is a big plus for me. I know flying outside LOS is frowned upon but I often do it because I am in a very rural area and use it to check out distant areas of my property. I also live half the year in China and the smaller carrying case is a big plus too. The flyaway concern is maybe overblown. I calibrate my compass before each flight and do a RTH test just to confirm everything is ok.

Reactions: Prairie Pyro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1