Phantom 3 vs. 3DR Solo

The gopro serves its original intended purpose. It's just people have expanded its usage .... and apparently it's CEO is now the top paid CEO in the US per cnn.com
I personally think the integration of the gopro controls into the Solo is a great evolution. However this strategy will be old news within the year. Both DJI and 3DR will have to innovate to stay relevant, else risk obsolescence.

GoPro was an idea from a guy that started selling them on a tv shopping channel, later becoming one of the most used cameras in the world. 3DR (or whoever makes a compatibility deal with GoPro) will not have to innovate cameras, because GoPro will keep making them better regardless of the drone industry. Therefore if 3DR made a deal with GoPro, 3DR can concentrate solely on the copters themselves and although 3DR may be catching up to DJI in a certain sense, being able to carry GoPros is a huge benefit.
If, according to DJI camera proponents, the fisheye is the only disadvantage and GoPro sees a profit niche in lens interchangeability, I can see this option becoming available soon, although it can be done already.

Just leave it alone. Your only digging yourself in deeper.
Is yer man still going at it? I blocked him earlier before I posted something that would have got me banned. I can't see any of his posts so he won't be winding me up, ah bliss ;)

GoPro was an idea from a guy that started selling them on a tv shopping channel, later becoming one of the most used cameras in the world. 3DR (or whoever makes a compatibility deal with GoPro) will not have to innovate cameras, because GoPro will keep making them better regardless of the drone industry. Therefore if 3DR made a deal with GoPro, 3DR can concentrate solely on the copters themselves and although 3DR may be catching up to DJI in a certain sense, being able to carry GoPros is a huge benefit.
If, according to DJI camera proponents, the fisheye is the only disadvantage and GoPro sees a profit niche in lens interchangeability, I can see this option becoming available soon, although it can be done already.
I'm basically holding off for now. I absolutely hated the P2 stock controller (yaw was WAY too sensitive with no way to adjust yaw gain), and the fact that we're stuck with the P3 stock controller has me holding off on the P3 and unlikely to buy it. I absolutely won't be buying it until third-party batteries (Limefuel) become available, given DJI's poor warranty on their own batteries. (Both of my original P2 batteries started swelling within 6 months).

The Solo has its own disadvantages - namely the GoPro fisheye, and also they are similarly using their own controller. However, what we already do know is that the Solo's flight controller (Pixhawk 2) runs open-source software AND will be available separately at around the time the Solo starts shipping. There's potential that the Solo's SoloLink (their equivalent of Lightbridge that the Solo is using) may also be made available standalone.

If SoloLink gets sold standalone, that may sell it for me over sticking with my P2 for now. If GoPro starts offering a rectilinear lens as an option - that'll also sell the Solo for me. Yes I know I can void my warranty and pay $220 extra for a rectilinear lens - NOPE.

There is some advantage to GoPro what comes to quality of image, but if you really are after great quality footage, you don't touch GoPro either.

Reactions: chris2864
Well, I had two pv2+, both did the same stupid motor fail and end up flying away, one I recovered took two days of searching, greathobbies did all the warranty process and I got a new one after one month, last one (April-26-2015) still can't find it but I can see in the FPV last image received its flying upside down, same as first time image/video. I think this is will be lost.

I have been looking into P3 everylittle detail and looks it's has more updates. I am buying one as soon as they are available again.

I was looking in to the 3DR, it has his good features, ( haven't read issues with it, flyawa us/motors/firmware/broken signal-strength) but for me what I like is just to open the box and works good, P3comes with lightbridge something will keep signal strength up to 2 kms.

Cameras: I don't like the fish eye personally, I think for aerial videos and pics looks awful, I always tryed to correct that on my FP2 with my fly angle, that's a point for the P3 with 4k

This is true for the time being. However, if 3DR is not going to invest in camera development, they MIGHT be shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. There are rumors of GoPro developing a drone. This is just a rumor, but **** what a great idea for the company. If I was GoPro, I sure as hell would at least be researching the possibilities. They've got the camera technology and they've got the capital for ventures like this. The most popular camera to fly on these copters has been the GoPro thus far, and there is no reason GoPro shouldn't further capitalize on it. Slap on a rectilinear lens and no one will look twice at the Phantom camera. (unless DJI improves the camera by then, which I have no doubt it will)

GoPro allowed 3DR to engage in the research and development of integrating its cameras onto their units, and GoPro is basically sitting back and watching the market's reaction. All that data for basically nothing out of pocket.

DJI, it seems, is taking a direction that GoPro most likely would if it were to develop a drone. In that case, DJI's major competitor would likely become GoPro, while 3DR plays catch up or tries to niche itself in some other way.

It seems to me that 3DR is trying to straddle the modular/hobbyist and RTF photographer/cinematographer markets. IMO, it would be in their best interest to start developing some bad *** camera tech to integrate into a complete RTF model for consumer level photography and video. GoPro might dominate the consumer level action camera, but at least for the time being, aerial filming is still open for grabs and 3DR is still in the game as a major player.

Its only me seeing the distortion on the left and top corner sides in the pan?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its only me seeing the distortion on the left and top corner sides in the pan?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It is still a 20mm wide lens so no wonder. I am very happy how the overall image looks.

Thank you guys for this great conversation. I just wanted to let you guys know that we have launched a new forum for 3DR Pilots: http://3drpilots.com

There you can post new threads about the 3dr solo and other aircraft and be sure that fellow 3dr pilots will be checking it out. Thanks for helping us kick it off!

Thank you guys for this great conversation. I just wanted to let you guys know that we have launched a new forum for 3DR Pilots: http://3drpilots.com

There you can post new threads about the 3dr solo and other aircraft and be sure that fellow 3dr pilots will be checking it out. Thanks for helping us kick it off!

Cool.

Nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic