Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my phantom 2 for a short while now. I bought it second hand off of eBay. Since getting it I have bought a number of items to upgrade it, fpv monitor, antennas, tx, propellers, monitor mount, iOSD mini, list goes on.

All in all think I've spent around £700, and my only concerns are the quality and the vast amounts of noise from the GoPro at night. Also, with all of this I have to charge everything together whereas phantom 3 only has controller, batteries and phone to charge. Other than that I'm extremely happy with it.

I was wondering if it's worth selling on eBay without the GoPro but all acc. Incl. extra battery, hd-4d gimbal and then buying the phantom 3?

If so, I have two questions.
How much do you think the phantom 2 will go for on eBay without the GoPro?
Which phantom would be best to buy, standard or advanced?

Thanks,
Will

Hi Will19

uhmm without the Gopro...not a lot, I recently sold a P2 with all of the extras you list and a hardshell carrying case, plus 3 good batteries, I even replaced the body shell with a brad new one, and added a Gopro Hero 3 silver in with the deal, it fetched £ 490.00, I was hoping for £ 550.00 or more, didn't get it, and there where only 2 bidders.... you figure :)
Waylander

It's really what you want and needs are and how deep of pockets you have. I have two Phantom 2v+ and have looke at the differences and what you get by staying or moving up. I have no plans to go to the 3 or 4. I am totally happy with my 2's function and operation. I did a few antenna mods for increased distance and that's it. Flys great, smooth and fantastic 1080p video which most people use any how. I can fly in autonomous mode, orbit, follow me etc with no problems so it's really up to the individual. Some have to have the latest and greatest but others can be happy with the current model. Same goes with cars, tv's, computers, tablets and even as it sometimes appears even women or wives. Me I've hung on to the same woman for 49 years and totally satisfied. But I do have to admit I have all the latest toys.. I.E like the Amazon Echo (alexia), fastest computers and Internet and tablets. So it really is your wants and needs and pocketbook. I can also talk to my New Ford Escape and she talks back. But just like a woman she doesn't alway understand or hear me correctly but still new technology..... The good ole days are NOW!!!!

Being a lowly P2 and used at that, it isn't going to get much. IMO your P2 has more value to you than to some stranger because you're familiar with it. I would keep it. Your P2 does have certain advantages regarding flight zones and such. Also, if your P3 ever goes down, you can use your P2 for search and rescue.

Reactions: JimD89
Hi Royva
Agree to some extent re deep pockets and the latest and greatest, but I did swap my tricked up P2 for a P3P, and P3P is muuuuch beter.
Also liked you're talking car analogy, however I find it to be the other way around with women (married 45 years), I sometimes don't understand what she tells me, because I think the conversation only goes on in her head, and I'm supposed to mind read :)
Waylander

Hi Meta4
Do you think that a P3A equipped with Lightbridge, is better than a P3P equipped with Autopilot or do you think they are the same...
Waylander

Just my opinion you can get the P3p for about the same price that a P3a was a couple weeks ago . I might even grab one (P3p) since the price is down the only thing I don't like is no manual mode from what I understand . I'll probably wait couple more months see if the price drops more or I hit the lotto then I'll get a 4 and a inspire :)

Reactions: Will19
Hi Meta4
Do you think that a P3A equipped with Lightbridge, is better than a P3P equipped with Autopilot or do you think they are the same...
I don't know anything about Autopilot so can't comment.
But the Advanced and Pro both have Lightbridge and are identical in everything except for 4K vs 2.7K video.
Either is an outstanding flying camera.

Agreed. The p3a is awesome. Light bridge is to wifi that an old rotary phone is to a smartphone

Ok so if I did then I'd go for the p3a.

Main reason for considering it is that the GoPro isn't the easiest to control in night light, gives off noise in the footage. I know this can be corrected to a degree in post but the p3a just looks easier to control as in to stop start recording in air, better quality down feed as I believe light ridge is digital transmission as oppose to the analogue tx? Correct me if wrong.

One other question is what are the fps like on the p3a? Can 1080p do 24/40/50/120fps like GoPro hero4 black? Does anyone know the 2.7k fps and 4K is 30fps isn't it?

Thanks again,
Will

Hi,

I've had my phantom 2 for a short while now. I bought it second hand off of eBay. Since getting it I have bought a number of items to upgrade it, fpv monitor, antennas, tx, propellers, monitor mount, iOSD mini, list goes on.

All in all think I've spent around £700, and my only concerns are the quality and the vast amounts of noise from the GoPro at night. Also, with all of this I have to charge everything together whereas phantom 3 only has controller, batteries and phone to charge. Other than that I'm extremely happy with it.

I was wondering if it's worth selling on eBay without the GoPro but all acc. Incl. extra battery, hd-4d gimbal and then buying the phantom 3?

If so, I have two questions.
How much do you think the phantom 2 will go for on eBay without the GoPro?
Which phantom would be best to buy, standard or advanced?

Thanks,
Will

You will get better quality picture and video from the gopro believe it not. Better dynamic range, detail etc. I don't think you should get the standard or the advanced. Maybe the 4k, which has the same sensor as your gopro. I don't know You can also upgrade to the next model when it comes out.

Definitely not the Standard, as you will be very sad with low light image quality. The advanced has washed out images and video from what I have seen.

It is a pain to charge all things independently, and you do have better control with the Phantom 3.

Unless you really need to sell the P2 to finance a P3/P4, I'd hang on to it; the hobby is still in its relative infancy and things do happen, so having a backup isn't a bad idea...

The advanced has washed out images and video from what I have seen.
Perhaps you've been looking at some overexposed images because of poor settings?
The advanced is quite capable of producing good results.

Looking at what you wrote in another post: A difference that matters between the Phantom 3 standard, and Pro
It seems you meant that the Standard has washed out results.
The Advanced and the Pro have identical sensors.
The Standard uses a different sensor.

Perhaps you've been looking at some overexposed images because of poor settings?
The advanced is quite capable of producing good results.

Looking at what you wrote in another post: A difference that matters between the Phantom 3 standard, and Pro
It seems you meant that the Standard has washed out results.
The Advanced and the Pro have identical sensors.
The Standard uses a different sensor.

You may be right that all of the videos I have seen on the Advanced have used poor settings. I watched a few comparing them side by side looking at the same subject though, by the same person, and others.

I did not mean the standard has washed out results.

When I say washed out results, I mean over exposed, and blown highlights. That problem is one I have never had with the standard.

I am aware that the advanced and pro have the same sensor, but the processing engine must be different. Unless of course they just limited the camera with software and decided to sell it for less.. That would be pretty crappy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4