Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 3 v. 1

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Discussion' started by JamesO, May 4, 2016.

1. JamesO

I've had a Phantom 1.1.1 since Easter. I love it, and it's super fun to fly. I got it after getting my feet with with a Dromida Vista, and the GPS difference is night and day.

It looks like prices on the Phantom 3 standard are coming down, and I've been thinking about selling my 1.1.1 to make the jump. The camera and gimbal are really appealing.

Would you say the Phantom 3 has any drawbacks compared to the 1.1.1? Is it just as nimbal? Just as steady? Can I take the camera and gimbal off when I'm not in the mood?

Thanks!

2. flpholt

p3s blows away phantom 1 you would really love it
    no you cant takeoff gimble

3. MassDrone

I got a Phantom 1.1.1 for Christmas. By April I was ready to jump on a $399 P3S on eBay. It's like going from a nice hand calculator to a powerful laptop. I love the video feed and the gimbal

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. JamesO

Same here! The video is incredible. The intelligent flight modes are incredible.

5. Ti22

The main bummer for me would be batteries. P3 is more locked down proprietary battery system. I fly FW (fixed wing) model planes and use numerous P1 type battery packs. I’m very accustomed to RC Lipo so I don’t need or care for BMS packs. New users might be better served with current DJI battery systems? Not me…

Plus, I already added Gimbal and Video TX and I can carry an arguably better camera (GoPro).

However, I was recently at a Sam’s club and saw pallet of P3 standards for just under $600 ($587, IIRC?)

A year ago when I outfitted my P1 with all the goodies, they were running about $1200. Already had the GoPro…

Today, I’d probably go for P3 and try to figure out BMS workaround for the battery pack?

6. Verydrone

The camera is integrated with the craft but it can be done. Camera wise, the Phantom 3 Standard is definitely an upgrade, only downfall is its use of wifi.