Phantom 3 updates and setup

Thanks everyone for your input. I have actually been flying a Syma X5C-1 for the past few months to learn a bit about flying a quad. It's been interesting with a few fly aways and crashes but the Syma is a hardy beast and has never malfunctioned.
I checked the txt file on the SD card and it said could not update as this version is older or the same as the one installed so I am guessing that I have probably done all I can with the update.
The problem is with the gimbal I think. I get a message to check the cables on the gimbal but I have done that and they all look tight. In answer to "Risk Factor" the quad will go through the warm up procedure and beep and flash. The camera will do its little dance and then after about 20 seconds the gimbal goes loose and the camera just goes limp. The props will not spin. There appears to be no connection between the RC and the P3. There is an IMU calibration error showing and MC data error on the app.
I cannot calibrate the IMU past 2% as an error messages flashes up and it stops calibrating.
I have read the manual back to front, watched every video available on the subject.
I have asked DJI for a replacement but I am guessing I am pushing the proverbial up hill with that.
If I had inadvertently removed the battery without switching it off (not that I think I did, but I am second guessing myself now) would that have any affect on what I am experiencing?
Thanks again for the input....its greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
@ Gizmocrazy
sorry to hear about your crappy service mate. Bloody poor form that is. Can you let us Aussies know who the dealer is, so we can avoid a similar experience.

Im new to this game as well, so I can't help with the tech stuff, sorry. But I can recommend rise above.com, thats who Im dealing with and they've been great so far, excellent customer service. Im up in Cairns and there is no local dealers up here. So I wanted to go with an Australian authorised DJI dealer, there is only a few authorised for the Phantom 3 (according to the DJI site), and I ended up going with Rise Above (based in Sydney) because they were the first to get back to me and the most friendly. I suggest you check their site out and give them a call, they should be able to give you some tech support over the phone, or at least point you in the right direction. Hope this helps. Best of luck mate!
hey Jack
The dealer is ....he talks big about warranties on his site but when you read it you realise that you cant actually claim on it. Not legal of course but when the guy disappears with no phone and no real address you cant do a lot about it.

Last edited:
Just got my Phantom 3 today with zero previous drone experience. I know I have to update the firmware which I'm doing as we speak. What else do I need to do before I fly? I don't wanna screw this up lol
Don't fly near trees or power lines.

Thanks for that. We are all here to help where we can.
I'm a fairly new Phantom flyer myself with only 10 or so flights. I have personally seen how easy it is to feel overly confident flying and then find yourself a bit turned around. Takes a moment to regain which way is which. Had a (as in one) close call with a tree and that was enough of that. Now I am practicing here until I am more proficient. This is a local RC field where I have taken it off Beginner mode.

[/QUOTE

Probably have forty so far and still learning.

@ Gizmocraz,

Thanks for letting us know who to avoid mate. I nearly bought from them too, with their misleading name and seemingly good deals, so don't feel like it was your bad judgement. When I tried to get Rise Above to price match, they told me that Aus cameras aren't Australian at all and they they are not authorised to sell the Phantom 3, dodgy.
I'll lodge a complaint with the ACCC also, because if they get enough complaints they will do something about those mongrels Aus cameras.
I really hope things work out for ya, can't wait to get flying myself.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl