P3 Firmware Phantom 3 Update FAIL

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Turned on the phantom 3 on Sunday to go flying. The app said it needed to be updated so I let it update it and the remote. Drone and Remote were on at the same time. The RC updated fine.

Now its saying RC signal Lost.

Downloaded the latest 1.8 firmware for professional.
Un-zipped - put BIN file in the root directory of SD card.
Inserted
Normal start up
Green light on Video Camera stays green.
Plug in the USB cord to my computer, still nothing

HELP

Was just curious why you have the USB cord attached to your computer. You do not need to do this. Only turn the bird on with out remote and let it upgrade.

Did you do a long format of the card before loading the uncompressed bin file? Pull battery before inserting the card.
No need to attach computer when updating the AC.
Should start a red and green light flash on the camera gimbal and go to a steady green when done. Then shutdown the AC and start back up to finish update.
Good luck

Its the same card that is used for every update. Just delete everything off it and put the BIN file on the root directory. Just like every other time.

Something is up with the fact that the RC was updated first.

Starts up normal, green, yellow flashes. Camera flashes green
Camera goes solid green after gamble warms up, and the aft lights flash yellow really quickly. NO normal Da Da Da noise. Its not seeing the firmware. Its unzipped and on there as BIN file

I am out of ideas unless the card has an issue. I updated a new P3P last week and it would not load the latest update and had to go down one then I had success getting the latest done.

Don't forget to unplug the drone from the PC you used to copy the bin to the SD card or the update will not start. Unplug it then reboot the drone. The light on the gimble will begin alternating red and green if it starts like it should.

Its the same card that is used for every update. Just delete everything off it and put the BIN file on the root directory. Just like every other time.

Camera goes solid green after gamble warms up, and the aft lights flash yellow really quickly. NO normal Da Da Da noise. Its not seeing the firmware. Its unzipped and on there as BIN file
Reformat the SD card once again or try another card. BTW, What P3 do you have. Be sure that there is no result.txt in the directory along with the bin file.

Have you tried using a card adapter and loading directly to the card from the computer instead of via usb cable to bird? I hate any more links to possibly corrupt a file.

That's EXACTLY the problem I'm having (see "Three drones, three failures" thread above). Same indicators you're getting. Is happening on three drones. Keep returning them and keep
having the same problem. Think I'm just going to return it and buy some whiskey. Very disappointed…

Have you tried using a card adapter and loading directly to the card from the computer instead of via usb cable to bird? I hate any more links to possibly corrupt a file.
Yes I've done it both ways. Going to try to downgrade the bird then upgrade again to see what happens. Just have not had time nor a good internet connection.

Ok for the new update 1.8 (never mattered previously) the bird needs to be done first because of the ssl package they used. Download 1.3 from DJI on a fresh USB and put it in the RC then force the update by holding c1+ c2+play+right shoulder click wheel and turn on the rc. The light should turn blue but there are some ive done where it gave no indication of starting at all and had to be left alone for a while being unsure if the force downgrade started. (That's for the p3p sorry if you have a p3s I don't know)

After the downgrade everything should boot up fine if this is the issue... in the future, make sure to do the bird firmware BEFORE clicking upgrade rc firmware in the go app because this problem has been reported to happen as a 1.8 upgrade issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie Pyro
Ok for the new update 1.8 (never mattered previously) the rc and bird needs to be done first because of the ssl package they used. Download 1.3 from DJI on a fresh USB and put it in the RC then force the update by holding c1+ c2+play+right shoulder click wheel and turn on the rc. The light should turn blue but there are some ive done where it gave no indication of starting at all and had to be left alone for a while being unsure if the force downgrade started. (That's for the p3p sorry if you have a p3s I don't know)

After the downgrade everything should boot up fine if this is the issue... in the future, make sure to do the bird firmware BEFORE clicking upgrade rc firmware in the go app because this problem has been reported to happen as a 1.8 upgrade issue.
Downloaded the 1.3 to a USB stick,
inserted into the RC
Held C1+C2+Play Button+Right Shoulder Click Wheel
Turned on the RC with all of those held (kinda hard!)
Turned on, beeped and the light stayed red?

Any other ideas on how to downgrade the RC using mac or iPhone?

It is hard yeah... try it a few times and leave it overnight maybe with the USB inside it. Call DJI and get their help doing it. When mine did it once it did the same thing (no indication if starting) and I gave up but was downgraded when I woke up the next day

DJI says the light should start blinking blue like a normal pair procedure but in my experience sometimes it doesn't ?

Edit: to avoid confusion. Force pair is the same button combination as force downgrade. I used the wrong term above.

Last edited:
Thanks will give it a shot!
I got nothing to loose at this point except a charge on the RC lol

After a successful downgrade and boot up you will get an update notification after connecting to wifi. Just re upgrade and it will work next time. If you can get it to downgrade. Call them and get help because if it fails they're gonna get you to send it to them anyway.

Oh and make sure it's a freshly formatted fat32 or exFat filesystem on the usb. I'm not sure if it can read anything else.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1