Phantom 3 Transmitter Battery Life?

Good point. The USB port is outputting 5v, not the full 8.5v from the RC battery... But, it's definitely not half the voltage... Especially when the RC battery isn't fully charged. Half charge would put it at around 7.5v.

Either way, my point is simply that Android devices will drain the RC battery faster. How much faster? Who knows... Describing it in seconds is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion. I would be surprised if an android device could even charge at all with only 500ma since the Pilot App is so CPU intensive.

Either way, my point is simply that Android devices will drain the RC battery faster. How much faster? Who knows... Describing it in seconds is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion. I would be surprised if an android device could even charge at all with only 500ma since the Pilot App is so CPU intensive.

That is a good point that I had not considered. I just ordered the NVIDIA Shield Tablet based on user feedback and the fact that some users have reported that the Apple devices shut down in heat.

OK, that is an inverter, supplies 110VAC only, meaning your math is off. You will have to use the OEM charging unit for the batteries. Not sure of the numbers for this one but the inverter in my MH draws 15AH with the DJI charger charging a battery. DC>AC via a inverter is not very efficient. You would be better off with a 300 watt inverter that plugs into the accessory port in your car. Doesn't make sense to go DC>AC>DC again, lots of loss.

I'm not sure I see your point, even if you plug an inverter into your car's outlet you would be doing the same thing DC from your car, inverting to AC in the inverter, then letting the transformer in the DJI powersupply convert back to DC for the battery. In either scenario, until DJI releases a car charger, if they ever do, this will always be a less efficient process than I currently use with my P2 and cig lighter charger. All I will be doing is offloading the battery storage from my car's battery to the UPS which is important to me since these batteries could drain my car's battery faster and as you mentioned now the charging process is even less efficient since a DC inverter is necessary.

This product is a 51AH rechargeable AGM battery connected to an 1800 watt inverter.
So you are still dealing with a DC inverter - just not powering it from your car's 12V system.
How many batteries are you planning to run?

I get that, I was slightly oversimplifying the fact that I would not have to lug around an external DC inverter or shorten the life of my car's battery. I plan on getting 6 DJI batteries, combining that with the stored charging capacity of a UPS or some other power pack with my goal being to not have to use my car's battery or lug around a separate inverter. Basically for long days I will start out with 6 fully charged batteries and hopefully have enough UPS or PowerPack charging capacity to charge a 60% discharged P3 battery at least 8x.

I gotta throw this in... What's all the talk about iOS devices won't charge from the RC? My iPhone 6 does. Just tried it to make sure. It's no iPad, but it's an iOS device. I was using a Note 8 (which sucked) and it would not charge. [emoji16] iPad mini 2 should be here on Wednesday.

I gotta throw this in... What's all the talk about iOS devices won't charge from the RC? My iPhone 6 does. Just tried it to make sure. It's no iPad, but it's an iOS device. I was using a Note 8 (which sucked) and it would not charge. [emoji16] iPad mini 2 should be here on Wednesday.

Are you sure? I read somewhere that iOS has yet to support that feature.

Nope. Plain old iPhone 6. iOS 8.2. P3P has the original firmware in it (whatever it came with a few weeks ago).

Has anyone else noticed if their iPhone behaves this way? Mine definitely does not, it just guzzles through the battery. Maybe 20% per flight with the screen at full brightness. I would actually be a little concerned about it trying to charge when it's so warm, even in the shade.

I also have an iPhone 6. Controller does not charge the phone. When you first connect the phone, it vibrates and indicates it is charging (with the charging battery icon). However, within a few seconds, the charging indicator shuts off. It doesn't continue to charge during flight.

Reactions: silverstoned83
I hate admitting when I'm wrong. I lose a piece of my soul each time. But, like TAZ, when I first connect the iPhone it shows charging for about 5 seconds, then stops. Sorry for misleading you.

Reactions: TAZ
500mAh is not enough power to allow the iPhone 6 to charge, the Apple charger is 1AH, the phone just switches to DATA mode when it doesn't see enough power to charge. Some other devices will also do this, I don't want the iPhone to charge from the controller in any case as it would just suck it dry.

500mAh is not enough power to allow the iPhone 6 to charge, the Apple charger is 1AH, the phone just switches to DATA mode when it doesn't see enough power to charge. Some other devices will also do this, I don't want the iPhone to charge from the controller in any case as it would just suck it dry.
So, I ordered the Android Shield, does that tablet drain the controller dry by charging when it is connected, or does it shut off the charging circuit like the iPhone?

I've gotten about five 15-18 minutes flights from the very first charge and I still have ALL the battery indictor lights "on". I am assuming this means 90%-100% capacity?? Is this correct? Unfortunately I did not follow the drain to 50% then recharge rule. :/

I've gotten about five 15-18 minutes flights from the very first charge and I still have ALL the battery indictor lights "on". I am assuming this means 90%-100% capacity?? Is this correct? Unfortunately I did not follow the drain to 50% then recharge rule. :/
Just let it continue to discharge on the next few flights until it is blinking the second light before you recharge, and if you are not going to be flying for a week or so-- leave it discharged.

Reactions: Mario_SB
Thanks for the tip! Gonna make sure I take care of all these batteries moving forward. I just learned the difference between lipo vs lion batteries. Li-polymer are lighter and can provide very high currents, but they don't have too long cycle life, they have to be used with very big care, and they're not very safe. Lithium-Ions, on the other hand, can't provide so much current and are heavier (for same stored energy), but they are much safer. Makes sense.

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20