Phantom 3 Timelapse

time.jpg

I'd really suggest the armchair experts actually try microsoft hyperlapse pro then come back and explain why anyone would build a flying timelapse from stills :)

I'd really suggest the armchair experts actually try microsoft hyperlapse pro then come back and explain why anyone would build a flying timelapse from stills :)
I've tried MS Hyperlapse and it works quite well.

For me personally, I've been a long time still shooter and have very good photo editing skills, so I can easily choose one photo in the TL sequence, edit it the way I like, then sync that edit to all the other photos. Video editing is new to me, so it would take me longer to edit my video to a similar level before importing into MS HL. That mindset might change as my video editing skills get better. It's nice that you can do it both ways.

Timelaps and a sped up video are really two different things. They are done two different ways and the results look completely different. Sped up video is smooth and fast. Timelaps is slow and jerky. Both have a different "feel".

The duration of any filming is _always_ limited to the flight time of the drone. If photos were allowed at an interval longer then 10 seconds the video would still allow for the same duration to be captured.. the video would just be more smooth but longer. Again, the time capture is still _exactly_ the same. Let me explain this a different way to be more clear. If you want to capture with time lapse you will only _ever_ get 18-22 minutes of real time out of a flight. Changing the duration of the shots will only serve to give a smoother and longer view of that 18-22 minutes. The mistake being made is that it does not matter how long you can set the duration between photos... it's the 18-22 minutes of coverage that is not a long time. A frame every 10 seconds is probably as slow as you want to go to cover a short time frame of 22 minutes.

Bringing up this question/subject makes me interesting in testing this feature. A drone is not really the best platform for timelaps due to the limited time of flight. it would be interesting to see some examples of what can be done. Something like a long train might be interesting.
I can tell you what I'm trying to film. I'm trying to catch a florida sunset so I think going out at say 530 pm and waiting 10 minutes to 540 pm. let the drone fly and the sun sets at 554 pm. 14 minutes. I can easily do it on my ipad. The problem is that the dji go app will not let me transfer the files to the dji go app. as it is in 4k from the ipad appearantly.

I couldn't find that this has been posted here yet: But through Autoflightlogic autopilot using their "continuous Photos" selection, they allow intervals of 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 30 second shots at the camera settings you choose. I understand the options of speeding up or slowing down existing video footage but people's imagination can be really creative like this.....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: AAPhoto
I tried stitching photos with manual 5 photo bursts over 15-20 mins and it didn't turn out very well. I then tried Microsoft hyperlapse and was pleased with the results. It took 1/20th the time and turned out way nicer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm still confused. So example. How are you using hyper lapse with images from the drone. This is blowing me a way. Or are you inserting images from the drone in the hyper lapse app. Not sure. Maybe I need a professional version or something. This is like rocket science for me. Just not enough experience I guess

It isn't image files - it is video - sorry for the confusion. I tried the image files and tried stitching and stabilizing in premiere and fcp. Looked terrible. So went back out, shot some videos, loaded into hyperlapse. Then chopped up in fcp and published.

If Autoflight Logic can do 2,3,4 sec raw stills- why can't DJI go do this? If the hardware is capable of this, it must be a software constraint.
What's up with DJI limiting us to 10 sec per raw shot? It is frustrating when doing pans for stitching & 3 shot brackets as well.

I tried stitching photos with manual 5 photo bursts over 15-20 mins and it didn't turn out very well. I then tried Microsoft hyperlapse and was pleased with the results. It took 1/20th the time and turned out way nicer.

Very cool video but do you really need 40 seconds of boring intro come on!!

Reactions: Brent10
Been doing this for years.... the easiest and best method I have found is to use
Quicktime Player " PRO " works with Apple and Microsoft Computers.... also serves as a good platform for playing back your Phantom movies....

I'll explain; because stills are higher resolution, especially if you dont have the 4K camera, which I dont. You can use the extra resolution to stabilize the shots as your phantom will inevitably move a bit throughout the timelapse.

BTW, the reason I want a shorter interval is not for time lapse video's, but to do photogrammetry. I could extract stills from the video and use that, but photo's are better quality than video frames, less compression artifacts and higher resolution in my case; and I need every bit of still quality I can get. So write me down as another user that would really love to see a shorter interval.

I'll explain; because stills are higher resolution, especially if you dont have the 4K camera, which I dont. You can use the extra resolution to stabilize the shots as your phantom will inevitably move a bit throughout the timelapse.

BTW, the reason I want a shorter interval is not for time lapse video's, but to do photogrammetry. I could extract stills from the video and use that, but photo's are better quality than video frames, less compression artifacts and higher resolution in my case; and I need every bit of still quality I can get. So write me down as another user that would really love to see a shorter interval.

You will really like the new release of AutoPilot then....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers