Phantom 3 Timelapse

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a timelapse with the Phantom 3? The minimum interval is 5s, and that seems to be a bit of a stretch with a 20 min battery life, but I 'd like to know if anyone has attempted?

Hold down the shutter when in camera mode (not the shutter button on the controller, but on your display--controller doesn't work the same). You've got many options including bracketing, time-lapse, burst...

Hold the shutter button on the screen down for a few seconds.

*edit* I need to be quicker on the keys :)

Hold the shutter button on the screen down for a few seconds.

*edit* I need to be quicker on the keys :)
How do you get the "info" at the bottom of your Post.

I did a regular recording and then put it in a video editor and sped it up 16 times... same smell

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: MoOriginal
How do you get the "info" at the bottom of your Post.

Reactions: clkilljoy
I did a regular recording and then put it in a video editor and sped it up 16 times... same smell

More CPU intensive speeding up video vs mashing together 5 second stills. But does give a smoother end result. And 5 second stills on a 20 minute hover won't accomplish much.

Although I wonder if someone had the skill and patience to time lapse while left stick panning verrrry slow. Like the egg timer time lapse videos. Lol. That'd be fun to watch....maybe I'll try it.

I'm trying to figure out exactly a way to do time lapse on my standard p3. I know I can do it on my Ipad and then let the phantom record the items on the ipad. but I was hoping to understand the real way to do it on the phantom. When you say hold down the shutter. do you mean on my iPhone? also on the remote controller. I'm not sure of the Button on the left of the throttle. was it does. I know the button on the right changes all into intelligent flight mode. but on the left. Any help for a newbie would be appreciated. I think I will get this video on my ipad first. please help anyone.

I'm trying to figure out exactly a way to do time lapse on my standard p3. I know I can do it on my Ipad and then let the phantom record the items on the ipad. but I was hoping to understand the real way to do it on the phantom. When you say hold down the shutter. do you mean on my iPhone? also on the remote controller. I'm not sure of the Button on the left of the throttle. was it does. I know the button on the right changes all into intelligent flight mode. but on the left. Any help for a newbie would be appreciated. I think I will get this video on my ipad first. please help anyone.
DJI moved the camera settings menu - it used to be that you hold the shutter button on your phone / tablet (in the Go app) but now there is a Menu button. The time lapse settings are in there. You can record a little faster using jpeg instead of raw files. The images are recorded to the SD card, then you can download them to your computer to post process and put the time lapse together.

Welcome to the forum Tony. Timelapse with photos on the P3 is not practical anymore. They bumped the shortest time between photos up to 10 seconds. With one every 10s, 15 minutes of flying would give you only 90 images to work with yielding 4 secs of video at 24 frames per sec. At 10 frames per sec only 9 seconds of video.

With a gap of 10 seconds between the images too much time has past not making a good time lapse anyway. Until a 3rd party app adds this feature the only thing you can do is speed up the video which in my opinion makes a crappy timelapse as well.

There is a 3rd party app for mapping that takes a picture every 2 seconds and clearly said on their site that this is the shortest time span the could squeeze out of the phantom. I would really like to see a 3rd party app that adds a 1 ever 2s option.

Timelapse would be much easier just speeding up video than assembling 2sec stills, microsoft hyperlapse pro works amazingly for quad video, or run 8x pass then stabilize then speed up 2-4x to finish depending on footage.

Another good reason for keeping my P2Z I have a hero 4. The timelapse and night lapse settings are awesome

Timelaps and a sped up video are really two different things. They are done two different ways and the results look completely different. Sped up video is smooth and fast. Timelaps is slow and jerky. Both have a different "feel".

The duration of any filming is _always_ limited to the flight time of the drone. If photos were allowed at an interval longer then 10 seconds the video would still allow for the same duration to be captured.. the video would just be more smooth but longer. Again, the time capture is still _exactly_ the same. Let me explain this a different way to be more clear. If you want to capture with time lapse you will only _ever_ get 18-22 minutes of real time out of a flight. Changing the duration of the shots will only serve to give a smoother and longer view of that 18-22 minutes. The mistake being made is that it does not matter how long you can set the duration between photos... it's the 18-22 minutes of coverage that is not a long time. A frame every 10 seconds is probably as slow as you want to go to cover a short time frame of 22 minutes.

Bringing up this question/subject makes me interesting in testing this feature. A drone is not really the best platform for timelaps due to the limited time of flight. it would be interesting to see some examples of what can be done. Something like a long train might be interesting.

Excellent idea instead of all the processing in CC or Lightroom

Timelaps and a sped up video are really two different things. They are done two different ways and the results look completely different. Sped up video is smooth and fast. Timelaps is slow and jerky. Both have a different "feel".

The duration of any filming is _always_ limited to the flight time of the drone. If photos were allowed at an interval longer then 10 seconds the video would still allow for the same duration to be captured.. the video would just be more smooth but longer. Again, the time capture is still _exactly_ the same. Let me explain this a different way to be more clear. If you want to capture with time lapse you will only _ever_ get 18-22 minutes of real time out of a flight. Changing the duration of the shots will only serve to give a smoother and longer view of that 18-22 minutes. The mistake being made is that it does not matter how long you can set the duration between photos... it's the 18-22 minutes of coverage that is not a long time. A frame every 10 seconds is probably as slow as you want to go to cover a short time frame of 22 minutes.

Bringing up this question/subject makes me interesting in testing this feature. A drone is not really the best platform for timelaps due to the limited time of flight. it would be interesting to see some examples of what can be done. Something like a long train might be interesting.
point well made

Very true, you are only "compressing" the flight time down to maybe a ten second clip. For most TL films, you probably want to use 10 seconds or less per segment and splice multiple segments together to tell a story, so you can use the P3 to do that, though it's certainly not an ideal platform.

I'm pretty sure you can do 5 second intervals when in jpeg mode because the files are smaller each than RAW. While the image quality might not be as good, it may allow you to capture a 10 second sequence and still have a little time for launch and retrieval.

I'm planning on trying it out so I can add some aerial clips to my ground TLs to give an added dimension.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers