Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

Well the tests I did yesterday did not get me anywhere, everything looks good in the remote. Decided not to mess with the connector from the antenna that goes into the TX board since it looked good and was glued in place. I really wanted to pull it and try my other remote antenna on it. I don't even know if it is the same. Testing the Phantom at about 80' ?. I could easily throw a rock that far.

It set it up tied it down with a string in case it took off, the antenna on the remote seem to have the best signal at 90 degrees to my left. But watching the signals levels it just keeps jumping way to much.

I can have full signal on DJI GO, move my hand behind the remote and displays "weak remote controller", "lost remote controller".

I had no problem in removing the crimp, I removed some of the silicone paste, and it popped straight off. I'm contemplating buying a replacement antenna and replacing my damaged one.
Would it be as straight forward as that?

I would think so, your picture made my decide to tear mine apart.
I am not going any farther inside the remote due to warranty issues.

Much needed rain is here.
But it is going to keep me from another look even on foot. If my P3 worked I would be up there flying between rain storms.

If anybody gives a click, here is some videos I did without really trying.

Rod Pad

BTW,
YouTube just annoys me.

I have more I can upload, just not that important right now.
Yes I' am the ugly old guy with the beard, looks like I was having fun.
That's why my wife said go ahead buy another, your having fun.

If I could have searched today, this would be my focus.

45°34'15.69"N, 121°46'35.29"W

Last edited:
Ive contacted DJI a few days ago regarding this problem but all I've had is automated response so far. .
In the U.S. Unless you talk to somebody I the phone nothing will happen. If that has changed somebody correct me.

I had no problem in removing the crimp, I removed some of the silicone paste, and it popped straight off. I'm contemplating buying a replacement antenna and replacing my damaged one.
Would it be as straight forward as that?

So what did you come up with, I have decided it is in the remote but don't want to go to the step of removing the glue.

Spent way to much time on this hobby.

Went to do my last thinkable test.

I get a notice of upgrade,

Every thing went with no errors.

Now Asus Tablet Displays

App 2.0.0
Firmware : 1.1.30

Still seems to work the same, tested my last thoughts, the update did nothing for me. No interest into trying a fly.

Hi RodPad,
I couldn't get the antenna re-attached in the end, so I went the route of sending it back to DJI which was surprisingly trouble free. Got an email confirming a UPS shipping label. Sent it away and received a new replacement phantom all within a week.

That's Great,
Only thing I have got done this week was called three times on Wednesday. Can't even get into a hold query.

That's Great,
Only thing I have got done this week was called three times on Wednesday. Can't even get into a hold query.

They where initially slow to reply on the emails, but then I got referred to a DJI European supplier based in Holland. Once they took over, it was all very simple no questions asked straight swap.
Which I was very surprised by as I'd clearly open the RC unit and had an attempted fix before sending back.

Stupid question, in the photo of the opened up transmitter, shouldn't there be two wires to the antenna?

Also, does a P3s still use the same compass calibration steps?

Matthew

Stupid question, in the photo of the opened up transmitter, shouldn't there be two wires to the antenna?

Matthew
Antenna that he shows out is 5.8 and has only 1 cable. 2.4 has 2 and the antennas are in post# 16 and are the green boards ya see in the top of the TX .

Also, does a P3s still use the same compass calibration steps?

Matthew

One Antenna, One Cable, what did you expect? (Just kidding)

Yes, the P3s is the same as calibrating the mirror compass on a GMC Yukon. The second step, tipping the Hood down and doing a 360 degree spin is very dangerous.

Hi,

I know of one with just the same issue BUT THE WIRING IS FINE AND CONNECTED.... Brand NEW straight from box we only got this last week - updated to new firmware as it requested on app screen, upgraded all perfectly fine, we re-calibrated compass now it only has 20 to 40meter "RC" range - everything works beautifully just we don't have no range !!!! so its on its way back to supplier for a replacement. Video range works perfect at all times BTW. The app shows RC signal warning in Red at the top of screen, video works fine I can see from the camera, app works fine, just RTH switches in and the drone fly's home and lands. So we don't really know if this was a fault in the drone or a fault in the software, as another friend updated his no issues and has superb range!!! - A mistery...

Attachments

• WP_20150912_002.jpg
    WP_20150912_002.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 541
  • WP_20150912_005.jpg
    WP_20150912_005.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 548
Thanks for the reply,
So you never seen it work without the problem, because you had to install the current updates right out of the box?

... So you never seen it work without the problem, because you had to install the current updates right out of the box?
There seem to be mixed reports as to identifying and correcting the 5.8ghz control signal.

Lets hope its not hardware like bad RF cables or worst yet, bad 5.8ghz transmitter modules (the internal modules are now a surface mount soldered item.)

Nope never worked correctly straight from the box... :(

Thanks Garrock and Simon,
I finely got through and talked to somebody today. Started with hold music for exactly 15 mins and was disconnected.
Called back again as soon as I pressed 3 somebody answered. He talked me into trying with an Apple device which I don't have, I have three of coarse that worked fine on a Phantom 2. (Lucky or unlucky I have a Asus tablet to get as far as I have). Testing in airplane mode, and calibrating the compass.

I know this all sounds generic, but he had points on all.

Battling this problem I can't remember what I have done and not.

My main concern was getting somebody I the phone again. He said it should be getting better, they have started 4-5 new people this week and 4-5 next week.

Ours was using an "apple" device and it didnt make any difference

Well the replacement P3S arrived ......we updated it and set it up....... and it works PERFECT!! - 500m range :) :)

Thanks for reply.

I finally hooked up with a neighbor that has Iphone 6s and Ipad Air 2?

Iphone didn't connect but the pad did. The pad sure looked nice, It did do anything with firmware I was hoping it might try to. Anyways no better. It will be traveling by ground and not by air.

I did make a WindSurfer antenna a couple weeks ago, it definitely
made a difference but didn't help on identify which one is the problem. I actually think it is in the Aircraft.

Update Sep 21st: It will be on its way tomorrow, they were at 8 weeks, they are about 4 now.

Update:Sep 24th: They are emailing return shipping labels, does it mean we will get free shipping both directions? Much better way to keep your RMA info connected to your package!. Don't have to pay for insurance, Fedex please destroy my package before DJI receives it!
Instead of Zendesk you now use, Sign into : DJI Technology.
Looks better!

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Im new to DJI's products. Just got a P3S. Came from a Cheerson CX20.
Tried flying mine on a basketball court (the only open area where i live) and has only 30meters of range before the signal gets weak and triggers RTH.

Not sure if the mobile device i used may have affected the signal performance (i used a Zenfone 2) but was on airplane mode to minimize interference though. Another thing that may have affected are the houses nearby that mostly has their own wifi systems in place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers