Phantom 3 Std. Bad motor causing high pitched 'whistle' sound/ Normal?

The noise is in one motor only on mine and it defiantly wasn't there befor I flipped it .I thought I was imagining it at first but if you hold the P3 while running and load each motor up by tilting it one motor down at a time you can tell one is definatly different .Just be careful it doesn't carry you off (see walking the dog with drone )

Reactions: Squirrel!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
Gonna swap out another motor. Just did a quick test and by golly, the whistling sound has diminished greatly. Still some there but not nearly as prevalent as with the bad motor.

Mine also has done that since I opened it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think I have a noise like that it's really hard to tell if it's ok or an issue. But I'm at 116 flights and 186mls with no change. So who knows

Since mine has done it forever and no problems, and many here have said this happens, and I have seen plenty videos of the phantom 3 making the same sound, could it be assumed the whistle is just the normal sound of the motor bearings?

Since mine has done it forever and no problems, and many here have said this happens, and I have seen plenty videos of the phantom 3 making the same sound, could it be assumed the whistle is just the normal sound of the motor bearings?

I hope not. As I said though, with replacing the one faulty motor I had, the whistle has significantly decreased.

I hope not. As I said though, with replacing the one faulty motor I had, the whistle has significantly decreased.
I really doubt every bird I hear with a whistle has a bad motor, but maybe just a motor with a louder whistle could indicate a problem?

I can confirm that may P3S has some whistle also. And it's almost new, I had only 3 flights with it. So I guess if it's not something really loud and exclusive, it should be fine.

Minne sounds the same, I am unsure if it has done it from the beginning. 5 hours, 32 flights. I have had 2 flip overs on landing. Did CSC in the beginning (foolish of me I know). One prop broke other then that nothing damaged. My thoughts is that sound might have something to do with that but I don't think so. I will continue flying and just check if sound is increasing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So i just noticed mine whistle only when i have the external batteries on there.... I've never heard it make the whistle sound before this

Interesting. What else is interesting is it is ONLY on The Phantom 3 have I heard it.

Meaning every other drone video I see that as sound, it just sounds like a quad, none of this shrill whistling crap like the P3 has.

How did you isolate the bad motor to determine which one it was?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm reasonably certain mine has had the whistle since new and I now have over 20 hours and 300,000 feet and it flys steady. I have carbon fiber props and try to gently stop as it seems so much more responsive than it did with the soft OEM props.

I changed mine and whistle is gone.

I popped the shell enough to get at the lower bearing, and put one drop of Mobil 1 on lower and upper bearings. Worked that in and no more noise.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squirrel!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31