Phantom 3 Std. Bad motor causing high pitched 'whistle' sound/ Normal?

Reaction score
I posted a video here awhile ago (can't find the thread now) and asked if the high pitched 'whistle' sound was 'normal' or not. I got one guy that said his does the same and others ignored it, meaning (I guess) that theirs doesn't make the same noise.

Anyhoot, it turns out that I do have a bad motor (bearing). Just going to replace it as I couldn't ship it back for the $13 I paid for the motor. Not to mention DJI would likely charge me for the repair anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Nice lawn! Thanks for posting
Thanks! Here's a better lawn pic... ;)

4 (Custom).JPG

I posted a video here awhile ago (can't find the thread now) and asked if the high pitched 'whistle' sound was 'normal' or not. I got one guy that said his does the same and others ignored it, meaning (I guess) that theirs doesn't make the same noise.

Anyhoot, it turns out that I do have a bad motor (bearing). Just going to replace it as I couldn't ship it back for the $13 I paid for the motor. Not to mention DJI would likely charge me for the repair anyway.

I posted a short time ago asking the same question ,although mine only did it after I flipped over on the ground .I didn't get a reply either .Looked at footage of how to replace it .Getting the shell apart isn't easy but the main decision seems to be a choice between re soldering to the board or cutting the wires and soldering to them. I favor the latter .Mine ran smooth initially so yours should be I assume..

Reactions: Squirrel!
I forgot to say I determined which motor it was by getting my son to increase the speed while I tilted the P3 to each of the four sides . Spinning them by hand revealed little. You may have done this sort of test

I concur...I plan on splicing the wires. Hell, I was a splicer for 30 years as a lineman, I think I should be able to handle 3 motor wires. Will also be using shrink boot over the splice.

My motor has lateral movement, slight as it is.

You might also consider something like this (I saw somebody use something like this to connect his uav motor wires on a video a while back).

L3-Wire-Connectors-insulated-mech-splice-1.jpg

I don't care for those. The set screws have a nasty habit of loosening up:confused:...but thanks for the suggestion!:cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I don't care for those. The set screws have a nasty habit of loosening up:confused:...but thanks for the suggestion!:cool:
Apparently the wires have a coating that has to be removed with something like wet and dry sandpaper before soldering also

The replacement:
DSCN8117.JPG
DSCN8116.JPG

I have this kind of sound since the first day I got the p3s, there is no problem with it

I have this kind of sound since the first day I got the p3s, there is no problem with it
I have had this sound since the opening of the box as well. It is caused by a bad motor bearing. Close to 200 flights and over 60 miles of flying, I'm not going to wait for it to stop mid-air.

I have had this sound since the opening of the box as well. It is caused by a bad motor bearing. Close to 200 flights and over 60 miles of flying, I'm not going to wait for it to stop mid-air.
I thought brushless motor not going to have this kind of bearing problem

Brushless or not, has nothing to do with the bearings.The motor still runs. I can still fly it. But the whistle has gotten progressively louder than when the video was made. As has the stability issue.

When I made the video, I set the P3S to hover and I went back inside to get the camera. It stayed in place as it should have. It won't do that now.My only conclusion is that the motor, with lateral play, plays a huge role.

Can you keep us posted? Mine does that as well but I think it's normal. I sent a video in to drone nerds and they said that's the noise it makes. My friend has a p3s and his made the same noise and I've seen quite a few videos with the same noise. The whistling. I to thought that it wasn't normal and got a little panicking and started asking around and that's when I saw other videos of people posting vibration videos and in all of them I hear the same whistle. I'm curious though if it stops when you change the motor.

Here is a you tube link of mine that I sent to drone nerds.

I wonder if they make the bearing noise with the props removed?
o_OWonder no more! ;) No, they don't make the whistle noise with the props removed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers