Phantom 3 Standard vs Advanced

Okay thank you
I think I'll go for the advanced since There are houses so wifi around me.
You should go with the Advanced since Lightbridge alone is worth the $ difference. It's a lot more stable in urban areas full of Wifi signals.
So the Lightbridge is not disturbed by wifi signals ?

For GPS, it's not a big difference. I used to get 12-13 satellites with Standard and I now get 13-16 with P3P. So you'll always get more than enough before takeoff with either one.
Don't the clouds sometimes block the Gps signal ? And only 1-3 Gps more with Glonass ? I Tought I woukd almost dobble the number of Gps.

Okay thank you
I think I'll go for the advanced since There are houses so wifi around me.

So the Lightbridge is not disturbed by wifi signals ?

Don't the clouds sometimes block the Gps signal ? And only 1-3 Gps more with Glonass ? I Tought I woukd almost dobble the number of Gps.
For me, it is not disturbed as much when flying in urban areas compared to P3S, which is worst. Clouds do not affect GPS signal as I understand it. The most I have got is 16 satellites where I usually fly. Some forum members have reported 18; not sure if any got more than this number.

For me, it is not disturbed as much when flying in urban areas compared to P3S, which is worst. Clouds do not affect GPS signal as I understand it. The most I have got is 16 satellites where I usually fly. Some forum members have reported 18; not sure if any got more than this number.
Ok I'll try to convince my parents that it's really a good choice for me to spend 900€ for what probably looks for them like a toy.. A big one, but a toy...

Ok I'll try to convince my parents that it's really a good choice for me to spend 900€ for what probably looks for them like a toy.. A big one, but a toy...
No doubt:) I did not know it costs that much in Europe. Good luck! Hope you'll get it soon and have fun with it.

Not quite true. Clouds (water vapor and dust) does attenuate the RF signals of the GPS/GLOWNAS systems. Those systems were designed for global navigation on a globe that has clouds most of the time. The systems were designed with that in mind with enough power and duality to compensate for any clouds. Clouds (or not) shouldn't affect your bird at all.

Hands down go with the Advance or even the Pro, additionally you would be getting the Professional at essentially half off if you decide to go that route. At one point they were as much as the new Phantom 4, but now I have seen them for 700.00, shop around and you will find a good price. Good Luck and ALWAYS DO PREFLIGHT TEST! The smallest crack in a prop can spell disaster, ask anyone and they will all agree.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: microraptor
Maybe you know this already, but maybe others do not and may find this rudimentary GNSS explanation helpful/interesting.
To get a position fix, what is being measured is the time it takes for a particular part of a coded radio signal to arrive from space, in medium earth orbit about 20,000 km away in space. Once you have the travel time from the satellite you have distance from it to the receiver since you know the precise speed of radio waves. Once you have the distance of three sats (4 is better), you can triangulate where those 3D distances intersect using good 'ol high school Pythagorus and... poof... you know where you are on the surface of the earth. I'm simplifying this of course... There is some adjustments calculus going on too.
The main problem is this: if there is the slightest error in measuring the arrival time then the calculated distance is way, way, way off. Since the radio waves are traveling at the speed of light, then millisecond errors in timing errors mean many meters of error (I'm too lazy to do the math tonight). This is why there are extremely accurate, expensive and reliable atomic clocks on each satellite... very precise stuff. So the main causes of position errors are:
- refraction of radio waves coming through the earth's ionosphere, giving a delayed timing error (now modeled well though)
- bad satellite geometry - many sats spread out over the sky from horizon to horizon is waaaay better then getting a position fix in an urban canyon or in the mountains where you have limited sky. GNSS radio waves do not travel through buildings or mountains very well at all.
- radio signals bouncing around at the earth's surface and being "delayed" at the receiver end (phantom)... more timing errors. This is called "multipathing" and it is worse in cities where we have lots of hard, reflective surfaces, windows, cars, etc. Also on water. Yes, there is probably some minor error when traveling through clouds but this is also modeled pretty well and corrected. I wouldn't worry about clouds.
Bottom line: the more sats the better, so GPS and GLOSSNAS working together not only give you more satellites, they are likely giving you better satellite geometry then when they are used as an individual system. So a P3 standard (no GLONASS), operating in an urban environment is at a distinct disadvantage to a P3A, P3P, P4 when it comes to knowing where it is, especially if you are navigating in confined spots. Of course, I'm only referring to outdoors... All bets are off indoors since the signals are so weak the position calculations are quite bad, if at all possible. But this is where the visual positioning system takes over on the P3P, P3A and P4.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hands down go with the Advance or even the Pro, additionally you would be getting the Professional at essentially half off if you decide to go that route. At one point they were as much as the new Phantom 4, but now I have seen them for 700.00, shop around and you will find a good price.
Yeah, but the advanced is already expensive enough for me (900€ in France)
I know there are some American shops where its a lot cheaper but whith the custom duties it is the same or even a bigger price than in France
Do you think that the price of the Phantoms 3 will low with the new Phantom 4 ?

Maybe you know this already, but maybe others do not and may find this rudimentary GNSS explanation helpful/interesting.
To get a position fix, what is being measured is the time it takes for a particular part of a coded radio signal to arrive from space, in medium earth orbit about 20,000 km away in space. Once you have the travel time from the satellite you have distance from it to the receiver since you know the precise speed of radio waves. Once you have the distance of three sats (4 is better), you can triangulate where those 3D distances intersect using good 'ol high school Pythagorus and... poof... you know where you are on the surface of the earth. I'm simplifying this of course... There is some adjustments calculus going on too.
The main problem is this: if there is the slightest error in measuring the arrival time then the calculated distance is way, way, way off. Since the radio waves are traveling at the speed of light, then millisecond errors in timing errors mean many meters of error (I'm too lazy to do the math tonight). This is why there are extremely accurate, expensive and reliable atomic clocks on each satellite... very precise stuff. So the main causes of position errors are:
- refraction of radio waves coming through the earth's ionosphere, giving a delayed timing error (now modeled well though)
- bad satellite geometry - many sats spread out over the sky from horizon to horizon is waaaay better then getting a position fix in an urban canyon or in the mountains where you have limited sky. GNSS radio waves do not travel through buildings or mountains very well at all.
- radio signals bouncing around at the earth's surface and being "delayed" at the receiver end (phantom)... more timing errors. This is called "multipathing" and it is worse in cities where we have lots of hard, reflective surfaces, windows, cars, etc. Also on water. Yes, there is probably some minor error when traveling through clouds but this is also modeled pretty well and corrected. I wouldn't worry about clouds.
Bottom line: the more sats the better, so GPS and GLOSSNAS working together not only give you more satellites, they are likely giving you better satellite geometry then when they are used as an individual system. So a P3 standard (no GLONASS), operating in an urban environment is at a distinct disadvantage to a P3A, P3P, P4 when it comes to knowing where it is, especially if you are navigating in confined spots. Of course, I'm only referring to outdoors... All bets are off indoors since the signals are so weak the position calculations are quite bad, if at all possible. But this is where the visual positioning system takes over on the P3P, P3A and P4.
Hope this helps.
Thanks CafeRacer, it conforts me that the advanced should be more secure. I prefer spending 900€ for something and keeping it, than spending 600€ for something that I'm losing or breaking... :D

Thanks CafeRacer, it conforts me that the advanced should be more secure. I prefer spending 900€ for something and keeping it, than spending 600€ for something that I'm losing or breaking... :D
I don't think you will more likely to lose or break a P3S than a P3P/P3A, more likely due to user error to cause the losing and breaking. However having said that, if you can afford the P3A, definitely choose it over the P3S.

Reactions: Roverggm
I don't think you will more likely to lose or break a P3S than a P3P/P3A, more likely due to user error to cause the losing and breaking. However having said that, if you can afford the P3A, definitely choose it over the P3S.
By the way, where can I do the calibrating of compass ? I read I had to do it far from electromagnetic interference.
Can I do it in my garden ? What us "far" from the house ?

By the way, where can I do the calibrating of compass ? I read I had to do it far from electromagnetic interference.
Can I do it in my garden ? What us "far" from the house ?
As long as your garden is not surrounded by tall metal fences (assuming your garden is not big, say 20 feet x 20 feet area), then you should be fine.

No there isn't any metal fence. There's no problem with the house ?
And do you think that the prices on previous series like Phantoms 3 are going to be lowed with the arrival of the Phantom 4 ?

Last edited:
No there isn't any metal fence. There's no problem with the house ?
And do you think that the prices on previous series like Phantoms 3 are going to be lowed with the arrival of the Phantom 4 ?

10-20 meters is sufficient but the farther the better.

As for pricing, yes they are going to drop in price. Ebay already has P3Ps listed at $799 (us). If you are thinking of waiting for price to fall, well, you may want to re-think. Price on all electronics fall as time goes on, its the nature of the beast. Prices will fall on cell phones. On TVs. On computers. On watches. In the mean time what are you doing? Twiddling your thumbs or flying? I just bought two Phantoms recently, P3A and a P3P. I knew the P4 was likely soon. The price drops at the time and the CES coming were pretty glaring indicators. Am I sorry? No. I have had several months of fun flying. I like my P3's and have no desire to drop them and buy a P4.

Up to you whether to wait. I personally don't think the P4 is dropping price very soon and that will drive P3 prices down. They need to recoup the R&D costs first on the P4. Then, well, maybe, depends on what the market and economy is doing at that time. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen this year.

I didn't understand everything very well :D :
So you don't think the prices are going to be cut down this year ? The P4 has to be cheaper before that the P3 prices low ? Isn't the P3 going to be cheaper just because of the entrance of the P4 ?
What happened to the P2 prices when the P3 entered the market?

Price on all electronics fall as time goes on, its the nature of the beast. Prices will fall on cell phones. On TVs. On computers. On watches. In the mean time what are you doing? Twiddling your thumbs or flying? I just bought two Phantoms recently, P3A and a P3P. I knew the P4 was likely soon. The price drops at the time and the CES coming were pretty glaring indicators. Am I sorry? No. I have had several months of fun flying.
Oh yes I've just understood this part. What you meant is that if I always wait for the prices to low, I will wait a long time, I agree. If you actually think that the prices won't move until 2017, then I'm going to buy it when I can

I don't have a crystal ball any more than others around here. But...

Given assumption:
DJI wants to push their P4 as their consumer flagship product.

My predictions and observations:
1. If they lower the price on P3's much more then that will drive sales of P3's up and hurt sales on P4's
2. If people buy P3's then they are less likely to buy a P4 at its current price forcing DJI to lower P4 prices
3. DJI wants to keep the P4 price high to have higher profit margin to recover R&D costs and gain capitol.

If that holds true, then its not likely that DJI will lower P3 prices much more. I don't believe they will significantly lower P4 prices yet. If they lower the P4 prices now that will indicate they over-priced it in the first place and show weakness in DJI's market strategy.

Thats my take on this. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong.

Yeah, I know we can't predict any change, but what you said appears quite reasonable.
I don't think taht i can wait for months.... I will buy it soon.

I thought the advance had the same sensor for imagery as the pro? Doesn't the pro have the Sony camera sensor and standard have Panasonic?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1