Phantom 3 Standard vs Advanced

Wise decision. I bought mine off Amazon and sold it later for a small profit since they are more expensive here lol. the Advanced is a Merc while the Standard is a Hyundai

P3A is Really Good love it. Been up 400m the view from up there is amazing especially if you're in a valley.
GPS is excellent never not had service. I've forgot my rage but I mainly fly from and elevated position. Worth the extra $ HD looks great when you put it in movie together & viewing on HD Tv.
Sadly I have been able to source a decent pair of FPV glasses or goggles I've asked DJI but they don't recommend any as they don't supply them [emoji17]

With the price drop on the P3S, is the extra $300 worth it to upgrade to the P3A? I don't plan on flying out of sight and don't plan on anything higher than 400ft. Is lightbridge worth it? I'll be using this primarily for recreational use.
Lightbridge alone is a $1300.00 add on to the standard, you do the math.☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Like someone else I think quoted, the only reason I would NOT get a Pro/Adv. Would be the money side. If you can't, you can't....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: solitude127
I have owned a Standard for about 3 weeks now. However, I just returned it and upgraded to the Advanced.

The Standard is awesome. However, I found that the wifi sometime limits the range and can't give me what I need to get the shots I want. As a photographer I also want to be able to use glass ND filters which you cannot do on the Standard. Finally, I like that there are camera controls on the remote for changing, exposure, etc.

So today my new advanced will be delivered and the Standard gets shipped back.

Now, if you just can't swing the extra $300 (which was a tough decision for me), the Standard is quite capable of doing many things and giving you some amazing video.

Ive had my Standard for about 3 weeks too. And whilst I don't fly too far away usually, I might like the idea of the option should I choose it. HOWEVER I picked mine up in a sale for $550.....so an extra $450 is a lot to upgrade! Almost twice the price. Is it really worth it for THAT much.
Also, anyone know if you can return it if its slightly damaged? (I also changed the stickers, AND wrote my phone number on it incase it got lost)

Ive had my Standard for about 3 weeks too. And whilst I don't fly too far away usually, I might like the idea of the option should I choose it. anyone know if you can return it if its slightly damaged? (I also changed the stickers, AND wrote my phone number on it incase it got lost)
So, you unboxed it, flew it, modified it, and damaged it... and, you now want to return it? Wow. This sounds like a horrible idea.

Maybe you should sell it as used?

Reactions: Reed L
So, you unboxed it, flew it, modified it, and damaged it... and, you now want to return it? Wow. This sounds like a horrible idea.

Maybe you should sell it as used?
Yeah I know, but after reading a lot of these forums, seems a lot of people are flying them around, and then returning. I can't be the only who has changed the stickers, then thought about returning? However, to be honest, after reading around, for the extra money, I can't see much of a need to upgrade with the stuff Im doing at the moment... I think I'll start saving the pennies for a future model, or Inspire

seems a lot of people are flying them around, and then returning
Some people do all kinds of unethical things.

Some people do all kinds of unethical things.

Fair enough. I'm from the UK, and they would never let you return stuff like that, but I have noticed since moving to the states, that things are VERY much different over here with returns and complaints! I didn't even contemplate it until reading through forums here!

I'm from the UK, and they would never let you return stuff like that
I don't think this knowingly happens in the US either. People who return modified and/or damaged items know they are doing something wrong. The person receiving the return (e.g. Amazon) sometimes does not know though, so the returner gets away with it. And, then some other unfortunate soul receives the returned item as a new item or the seller gets the item back and has to take a loss.

Reactions: atj24
I don't think this knowingly happens in the US either. People who return modified and/or damaged items know they are doing something wrong. The person receiving the return (e.g. Amazon) sometimes does not know though, so the returner gets away with it. And, then some other unfortunate soul receives the returned item as a new item or the seller gets the item back and has to take a loss.
fair enough. thanks
i love the video and photos which is what its all about really. just trying to figure out about range exenteders now after my episode of dropped video today, which i think you already helped with. I'm gunna take it out and fly it later, see what my max distance is doing everything in your guide. wish me luck that I get it back ,and it doesn't end up full of water or sand, as the beach is the only place where I think Ill have a long enough distance to try a straight shot!

Go for Advanced. Im a standard user for a month, and if i could i would travel back in time and order advanced.

When I ordered my P3P on cyber Monday it was only about $70 more than the P3A. No brainer if that deal comes along again.

Hi !
I'm planning to buy a phantom 3, and as you may have guessed, i don't know if I'd better choose the sandard or the advanced. Whats does actually brings more the Glonass ? To be sure that you will get more than 6 Gps, so the Home Point will be saved ? And is the Lightbride less powerful when used close to domestics wifi ?
(sorry if there are mistakes, I'm french ;-) )
Thank you for your help

Hi !
I'm planning to buy a phantom 3, and as you may have guessed, i don't know if I'd better choose the sandard or the advanced. Whats does actually brings more the Glonass ? To be sure that you will get more than 6 Gps, so the Home Point will be saved ? And is the Lightbride less powerful when used close to domestics wifi ?
(sorry if there are mistakes, I'm french ;-) )
Thank you for your help
You should go with the Advanced since Lightbridge alone is worth the $ difference. It's a lot more stable in urban areas full of Wifi signals. In addition, the remote is a lot nicer with additional buttons so you don't need to use the on-screen buttons. And if you want to fly far away, it's 5 times further than the Standard (5km vs. 1km). You'll be happy with the Advanced.

For GPS, it's not a big difference. I used to get 12-13 satellites with Standard and I now get 13-16 with P3P. So you'll always get more than enough before takeoff with either one.

Last edited:
It's more like the difference between 3840x2160p (P3P) and 2704 x 1520p (P3A) isn't worth $260.

Especially given the relatively low bit-rate of the "4K" video itself.

I shoot pretty much exclusively in 4K on my P3P and have the requisite gear to both edit and view 4K.
And personally, I would have traded the (almost) price of 2 batteries for the slightly downgraded video size.

Photos are exactly the same on each as well.
If you are making a decision based on cost.. the advanced is the best buy.

If you want the absolute best video get the pro or the P4.

Additionally, video resolution isn't the only difference between the advanced and the pro do a little research before you make the choice.

If you are making a decision based on cost.. the advanced is the best buy.

If you want the absolute best video get the pro or the P4.

Additionally, video resolution isn't the only difference between the advanced and the pro do a little research before you make the choice.

Well, the only other difference is the Lightbridge bitrate, and the charger. No additional research required.

All differences:

- 2.7K vs 4K video
- Lightbridge bitrate
- Charger wattage

Oh, and gold stickers. Thats really it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20