Phantom 3 standard slow motion??

I don't own a standard, but...

The easiest way to achieve slow motion is to shoot your video at 60fps and then process it (at least the parts where you want slo-mo) for 30fps. Your standard most likely won't allow you to shoot at 120fps. There are a number of GoPro cameras available now that will shot at 120fps. When you process and slow it down in the processing, you can get some really slow motion.

Unfortunately, even with something like a GoPro that can shoot 120fps, you're not going to see the kind of slow motion you see on ESPN, where you can see the baseball turning so slowly you can pick out the stitches. Those cameras are shooting at a rate that you and I probably can't afford!

Art - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL

Cool. I guess I'll have to start learning the different features. Thanks for the response!

Even Movie Maker - free with Windows can slow or speed up video when processing.

Nigel

I think the highest frame rate a P3S can do is 60fps at 720p? So you could half the speed of that and keep it at a smooth 30fps, but the quality compared to the 1080p or 2.7k footage would obviously be worse.

60fps at 1080p is possible
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some old combinations of firmware and DJI GO / Litchi allowed 48 & 60fps at 1080p, and I remember people saying that this video modes were even listed on some official documentation, but the P3S currently supports only the following modes:
  • 2.7K: 2704 x1520p 24/25/30 (29.97)
  • FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30
  • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
As for the OP question, you can slow-down any video in post-processing, but - as others as said - the best results are achieved when you start from a source at a high framerate. For example, if you have a clip at 60fps and you're producing a 30fps video, that clip can be slowed down 50% and still look good (30/60=0.5) as no frame will need to be duplicated. With source at 120fps and target at 30, you can go as low as 25% (30/120=0.25).
On the P3S, your choices are limited: record at 30fps (2.7K or 1080p) and have good resolution but minimal ability to do slow-motion (you can still try, but at some points movements will look jerky as each frame will be duplicated too many times), or record at 60fps (720p) and accept mediocre resolution but smooth movements down to 50% speed.

Lastly, keep in mind that if you shoot at 60fps, the camera has maximum 1/60s to capture each frame. If there is not enough light (i.e. dusk, dawn, cloudy), the P3S will start bumping up the ISO in order to stay below 1/60s, and video quality will degrade. In other words, for high framerates, you need plenty of light.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsm1847

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic