Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom 3 Standard Range

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by NickCopter, Jan 29, 2016.

1. NickCopter

Hey all,

haven't been paying attention to the quadcopter world since I sold my P3A back in July or so.

I have a family vacation coming up soon (May) and am looking to purchase another Phantom 3, and the Standard version looks so good with its sub $500 price range on eBay.

However, one of my favorite things before was pushing my P3 to see how far I could go (max was 3.5 miles each way, see sig for video).

I've done some looking around and haven't really seen much about the P3S range. What can I expect out of the box? Does anyone (FPVLR, etc) have P3S antennas out yet? What do they increase the range to and how much do they cost?

I'll be doing my own research shortly, but in my experience it was always faster to post on the forums and get a response.

Cheers

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

DJI has a good comparison of specs between the various Phantom 3 models here.

NickCopter likes this.
  3. NickCopter

Thanks for the quick reply! but I don't think that's accurate. They're claiming 3.1 miles out of the box for the P3A. Is that actually true nowadays? I think I remember getting 1.5 mi max stock with the P3A.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

They do mention that's unobstructed and in a location with no interference. YMMV.

#4 msinger, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    NickCopter likes this.
  5. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Standards have a decent range and are well worth the money for the nice package you get. If you need to go further FPVLR and DBS make antenna kits. There are many threads found here about both... DBS seems to be the most popular. My Standard is stock and I have gone out to 4000' so far. Another member here went 6666' stock then others claim only 1000'. I suppose on where you are flying and your flight experience.
    Also, P3S SDK is out so third party apps are in beta now.

dirkclod and NickCopter like this.
  6. msinger

Approved Vendor

Litchi released a version that's compatible with the P3S/P34K today.

7. NickCopter

Thanks TJ! Tested numbers are exactly what I was looking for.

I'm having trouble finding youtube videos of people going for range tests with the P3S. But if you search for the P3A/P there are an abundance. I wonder why that is.

8. RodPad

One thought is the P3A/P came out a few months before the Standard.

NickCopter likes this.
  9. Sabalon

I didn't upload a video, but today I did 3000' at 390' altitude. Towards the end, there were a few trees acting as obstructions. I'm going to try to do a longer test tomorrow if timing works out. I can get about 2000' on a good day with a little bit of interference. Don't know how well the P3A would work with similar interference, but 2000' is scary enough (for now).

But that 3000' is roughly what DJI says on their site for distance (1000m)

jointeffort and NickCopter like this.
  10. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dirkclod is going out over 16,000' with DBS *and bird side dipoles. I believe he was getting 14,000 with just the TX and a DBS panel.
    He'll be along to correct my numbers sooner or later. :D

The FPVLR kit is relatively new to the market so there are less reports on them. It seems the FPVLR is more 'directional' so more aiming is required and it has a higher price tag. The jury is still out on the FPVLR until there are more unbiased reviews.

dirkclod likes this.
  11. Sabalon

A video of me going for a range test - albeit with just a standard setup. I warn you it's boring.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Squirrel! likes this.
  12. The Suburban Hippie

Easily 3000 feet at 400 Feet altitude. If trees are in between me and the drone signal can drop out pretty quick...

Squirrel! likes this.
  13. neilc

I got 3228' today ( with HX LINK mod ) and returned manually, no rth.

14. Tony Cowan

I'm gonna push it later. Last week I got 7400 with just standard. No mods. Will try 8000 since so nice today. And taking her up high too.

Squirrel! likes this.
  15. Kenneth Marsola

Do yourself a big favor, DON'T buy the Standard, especially after owning a P3 Advanced.
    You will be sorely disappointed in the range

Squirrel! likes this.
  16. mandalay

I agree. I just tested out a new P3P and it went 12000 ft with stock. I initiated RTH since I was chickened out even though both signals were still full bars; I could have gone further. Lightbridge technology is amazing. At the same place, I was able to reach ~5000 ft with DBS panel on a P3S. The P3A is now only $300 more than P3S so I think it's worth it for the Lightbridge and better remote controller. If you want range, P3A/P is the way to go without any modification.

17. katzmix

I just hooked up the Aztec and only got an extra 200 feet. I tried 3 times one flight at 300 feet high. Use to get 1700 and now 1960. Will try again

18. Tony Cowan

I would be more worried if something being wrong if that is all you got. I got 7400 on standard. I can't imagine if I had it modded. But I do agree if distance is your thing then go for pro. But I didn't buy based on distance. If I need to fly 5 miles to get video. Will just drive over there. No matter if the thing can go 10 miles your battery will never hold up not matter the actual range. Unless you do like that guy that went 33k one way with a triple battery mod.

19. JamesG2571

I flew my P3s yesterday with a homemade windsurfer and got 881.9m out of it. total flight of 1763.8m
    upload_2016-3-4_9-29-44.png
    also that was with the CE mode as I'm in the UK! I think its great for the money :)

20. Hali_Photography

Got up to 6500 ft yesterday stock. Lost signal at the end thoigh and had to RTH