Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

Hello!

It doesn't contain that but I'm grateful for your concern - it could have been an issue ;)
(Have to admit though that the solution with the RC patching the drone via telnet is a more elegant solution than having (a simpler) watchlog.sh on both sides)

Next step is increasing the power on 5.8G - 1.4Km isn't enough - reaching for the stars
Happy flying to you too :)

//Per
I come to think that having script on the both sides is better way(because it is simpler) after your reply. I always tend to drift between minimal resource usage and simpler firmer way, but always end with occam's razor rule.

I saw 11km max range record with P3S somewhere here with terminator antenna mod, you will be needed of battery mod too before departure to the star... :)

(Sorry for a quick barge in)

Regarding this video latency, did you get any response in this matter? I also noticed a bit of this delay starting at apprx. 1200m. Think I've seen some thread discussing the limits of the Wifi protocol but also that the P3S handled that. Don't know for a fact though...

//Per
I was curious about source of the video delay too. Standard wifi does not range well, because the protocol(TCP, end-to-end) implies ACK response. Lightbridge-like protocols does one-way travel, like wifi broadcast transmission, so if the signal gets stronger, it flies further without delay. However standard wifi waits for ACK before sending next packet to the destination, requiring packets to do round-trip, if the ACK packet dropped by some reason, network link speed also drop. Much time is needed to regain the link speed to the normal, because the wifi network is cautious about increasing speed. This is thought to be main culprit for lack introduced over the 1km range.
Yes, it would be good to have discussion thread about the protocol. It seems p3s tries to handle that part, in the end of rcS file there's setting for that, but the effect would be questionable.

Last edited:
Yesterday i made 3 test flights with the 70/70 mode, Had about 750m and video/signal gone till the craft came about 50m.. newer able to get the signal back. at about 50m signal came, and i landed the craft.

This means we need to improve 5.8ghz. Lets work on it.

Reactions: pooch4
I was curious about source of the video delay too. Standard wifi does not range well, because the protocol(TCP, end-to-end) implies ACK response. Lightbridge-like protocols does one-way travel, like wifi broadcast transmission, so if the signal gets stronger, it flies further without delay. However standard wifi waits for ACK before sending next packet to the destination, requiring packets to do round-trip, if the ACK packet dropped by some reason, network link speed also drop. Much time is needed to regain the link speed to the normal, because the wifi network is cautious about increasing speed. This is thought to be main culprit for lack introduced over the 1km range.
Yes, it would be good to have discussion thread about the protocol. It seems p3s tries to handle that part, in the end of rcS file there's setting for that, but the effect would be questionable.
If not already logged it could be interesting to keep track of link speeds during longer flights and log them to a file.
The signal scores logged by DJI GO is only for 5.8 control or?

Yesterday i made 3 test flights with the 70/70 mode, Had about 750m and video/signal gone till the craft came about 50m.. newer able to get the signal back. at about 50m signal came, and i landed the craft.

This means we need to improve 5.8ghz. Lets work on it.

try another channel, you should got 1KM with easy like me

Attachments

• saturday_nite.png
    saturday_nite.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 470
Hello!

It doesn't contain that but I'm grateful for your concern - it could have been an issue ;)
(Have to admit though that the solution with the RC patching the drone via telnet is a more elegant solution than having (a simpler) watchlog.sh on both sides)

Next step is increasing the power on 5.8G - 1.4Km isn't enough - reaching for the stars
Happy flying to you too :)

//Per
Code:
#Date : 16/07/2016
#Version 2.1

clear

iw reg set US
iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 2700

echo ""
echo "Patch Completed, Enjoy."
echo "======================="

while :
do
  msg=`iw reg get`
    echo "$msg" | grep "US"
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo "Current country set: $msg"
    echo "Changing regulatory domain to US"
      iw reg set US
  fi 
    sleep 10
done

This was the script you use??
on booth side, correct?

It runs at boot, setting reg and 27dbm
after that it watch for some change in reg in periods of 10 seconds
and if he finds a change in reg it change again to US and 27dbm

is this correct?

Code:
#Date : 16/07/2016
#Version 2.1

clear

iw reg set US

echo ""
echo "Patch Completed, Enjoy."
echo "======================="

while :
do
  msg=`iw reg get`
    echo "$msg" | grep "US"
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]
    then
    echo "Current country set: $msg"
    echo "Changing regulatory domain to US"
      iw reg set US
  fi
    sleep 10
done

This was the script you use??
on booth side, correct?

It runs at boot, setting reg and 27dbm
after that it watch for some change in reg in periods of 10 seconds
and if he finds a change in reg it change again to US and 27dbm

is this correct?
Yes correct.

//Per

some say that the problem with fixing 27dbm was only in the drone with dji when fixing GPS and ...RC would still hold 27dbm, right?

So:
why the scrip on the RC don't have just have 2 lines "iw reg set US" and "iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 2700" taking out the while loop
On the drone would still have the loop

Isn't better to have the loop in the craft rather then the RC has to telnet to drone (many meters away) every 10 seconds?

Last edited:
Just applied PapaTita's script to go from CE mode to FCC. Cant wait to test it later on and see the results. Patch worked like a charm, iwinfo showed Tx-Power: 27 dBm Link Quality: 70/70 and everything was connecting (Drone - RC - Smartphone App) while bird is stationery.

With my custom antennae setup (2 x 2.4GHz 7dBi High-gain Omni-directional Antennas)
20160713_143454.jpg

I was able to reach 1080m with solid video on urban area @ CE mode 17db.... On rural area same distance since I was flying over the sea at night and did not want to push more than 1000-1100meters....

I will try to perform test on urban and rural again @ 27db and report back. Thank you all guys for your contribution and knowledge!

Reactions: sinxa and jeganx
Hallo Hexagon, did you do any changes on the drone? Or only run PapaTitas app? Without any manual change on your own? Thank you!

Sorry, late to respond.

I've tried to learn watchlog.sh file (last update from Argonaise), there is some error appears so some points I did not used.

Let me show how DJIUpdate application works, there are four main file that are downloaded, namely telnet.sh, djiled.sh, scan.sh and watchlog.sh, these files can be changed later as needed (but please be careful):

After DJIUpdate run and connected to wifi:

1. STEP 1
Copy [localdir]/telnet.sh to controller as /sbin/djiled.sh
Copy [localdir]/watchlog.sh to controller as /sbin/watchlog.sh

Restart controller and drones, reconnecting:

2. STEP 2
CHMOD 775 /sbin/watchlog.sh
Copy [localdir]/djiled.sh to controller as /sbin/djiled.sh
Copy [localdir]/telnet.sh to drone as /sbin/djiled.sh

Done.

If using Scan Channel

2. STEP 2
CHMOD 775 /sbin/watchlog.sh
Copy [localdir]/scan.sh to controller as /sbin/djiled.sh
Copy [localdir]/telnet.sh to drones as /sbin/djiled.sh

Application will be revised if there is another way that more efficient.
YouTube Link: Quick Update to 27 dBm (CE to FCC) DJI Phantom 3 Standard.

Thank you for your advice

Reactions: hexagon
Hallo Hexagon, did you do any changes on the drone? Or only run PapaTitas app? Without any manual change on your own? Thank you!

Hello Andi, no I only run PapaTita's patch, no manual change to drone. Only hardware change to RC with new antennas which gave me the opportunity to fly @ 1000m on CE mode. Cant wait to try my setup @ 27db....

Do I need to patch drone too? or is it patched automatically via telnet from the RC side to go 27db?

Hi PapaTitas, Thank you very much for your detailed explanation on your app!!! Do I understand correctly, that Telnet is activated on the drone trough coping the telnet.sh to the drone. By means that no manfully activating from telnet needed in "rcS" file on the drone?

Hi PapaTitas, Thank you very much for your detailed explanation on your app!!! Do I understand correctly, that Telnet is activated on the drone trough coping the telnet.sh to the drone. By means that no manfully activating from telnet needed in "rcS" file on the drone?

yes 1st thing is to update the rcS file in order to enable the telnet.

Next week I will test on my Drone as I didn't had time this week

Hi PapaTita, now I fully understood!!! Thank you very much for your time and the explanation of your app!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik