Phantom 3 Standard range issue

Reaction score
Hi all...Phantom newbie UK flyer here. Having an issue with my P3S. Brought it a week ago and once unboxed and connected up it did a firmware update. Not sure what has happened but I can fly it away from me 600 feet plus with no issues at all, but as soon as it goes 100+ feet up I lose video feed and the ability to take photos etc as the app screen goes grey. It prompts me to RTH due to signal loss, but I'm still able to fully control the bird and can continue in any direction or manually fly it back to me. The video feed comes back when it gets closer to me (30-50 foot up). My app shows plenty of wifi signal etc but lose all video and can't get the really pretty, high altitude pics I was wanting. I've even tried a parabolic reflector, but that makes no difference at all to the signal issue.
I'm flying in an open field (6acres) with no houses within 150 metres of me. Ive checked all the settings and have my flight limits set at 500m. I've looked into manually rolling back the firmware but can only do this one version back, and from what I've read, this issue happened with the previous firmware update. Just wondering if any other P3S owners are experiencing this and if anyone has managed to fix it??

I have considered taking it back and paying the extra £250 to get the Advanced, but the store have said unless there is a fault that they can see for themselves after testing, that I can't swop it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Update:---Rolled back the firmware one version (see forums for Manual firmware downgrade). I'm now getting 300+ foot altitude with good video feed and pushed the bird out 800 foot from me...again with perfect video.

What was the original firmware and what is it now?

Don't know what version it was out of the box, but on first link up, it downloaded the most recent firmware upgrade (1.6.??). I went via the DJI archive webpage, downloaded the 1.5 firmware (apparently you can only go back 1 update, otherwise I'd have gone 1.4) deleted the .bin file on the SD card, put the 1.5 on the SD and put it in the bird. Fired up controller, linked app then turned in the Phantom. It downgraded to 1.5 (there is an annoying banner now saying new firmware available). I then took it out in the field and was getting 300+ feet altitude with full video. It did break up a bit after that so I chickened out....plus couldn't see it. Also as I'm in the uk...not sure if CE limits it to 400 foot anyway. Distance from me also seemed to increase. 850 feet no problem. I started flying over houses then so turned back. I was using my parabolic extender at 800 feet though. But the altitude was just the stock controller without the extender. I guess it's not the 1600 feet people are claiming, but it's a massive improvement on 100 feet I had earlier today!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl