Phantom 3 standard poor performance

Reaction score
I've had my P3S for a few weeks now, I have managed to get a fair amount of flight time and have flown in many different areas. However, no matter where I take it it will never get further than 250m now, I managed 350 on my second flight but have never managed that since. I must say I am extremely disappointed in it's performance, I can't even get half of DJI's advertised distance. I have asked previous questions on this forums and received advice on obtaining optimal distance and none of it seems to have helped.
This seems to be quite a common problem in the 3 standard, I just wish I could go back a few weeks and pick up the Advanced instead.

What is your firmware version? Describe the area you are flying in (i.e typical suburban neighborhood, mile and miles of open flat fields). What altitude are you flying?

My p3s with windsurfer on a very long open field I get 1200m+ before I decided that was enought. Without the surfer, same place, 900M before I started getting connection errors. My "normal" flying place has trees, hills and buildings but at an altitude of 60m I can go out 700m before I get connection issues. all of this with the latest FW 1.7.n (as well as FW 1.5.n) Before that I had FW 1.6.n and started losing connection at 300-400m

I'm on the latest firmware, unsure what number.
I've only been flying on mountains / fields, with no masts or antennas anywhere near me.
I have bought a Skyreat signal extender so I will give that a go.

My main issue I run into is "weak transmission signal" followed by "signal lost" and these will only last about 2 seconds before returning to full signal but they will keep losing signal every 10-15 seconds and it doesn't stop.

Hhhhm.. What version of the dji-go app are you using and on what device? I had problems with v3.1 on ipad and/or iphone. Similar problems on android but i rolled back to v2.9.1. havent seen any problems since.

Curious, can you still control the drone during those errors or does it do a RTH?

Edit: Just saw you stated "Signal lost" error. My probelem I described above never lost the signal comlpletely.

Last edited:
Bottom line: what you describe is not normal. Can you find a large open field to fly in and see if you get the same results?? If so, I would talk to dji support.

Hhhhm.. What version of the dji-go app are you using and on what device? I had problems with v3.1 on ipad and/or iphone. Similar problems on android but i rolled back to v2.9.1. havent seen any problems since.

Curious, can you still control the drone during those errors or does it do a RTH?

Edit: Just saw you stated "Signal lost" error. My probelem I described above never lost the signal comlpletely.
I am using the newest version available for Android. When the errors occur I can still love the drone but the video feed will be choppy. When signal lost I can't control but it will regain within a second or two so rth doesn't kick in. Maybe I'll have to talk to dji about this.
Thanks

Hello Ellis
I am also a phantom 3 standart user, i live in the EU, Portugal, and The best i've got was around 900 meters distance, 350 altitude.
With a simple 3d printed winsurfer directional antenna "amplifier", i was able to get around 1200 meters.
Running the latest fw 1.7.90.

Cheers

Sent from my Y635-L21 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello Ellis
I am also a phantom 3 standart user, i live in the EU, Portugal, and The best i've got was around 900 meters distance, 350 altitude.
With a simple 3d printed winsurfer directional antenna "amplifier", i was able to get around 1200 meters.
Running the latest fw 1.7.90.

Cheers

Sent from my Y635-L21 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Hi,
I was I could get half that range haha,
I have bought a Skyreat range extender and I will try that.
If that doesn't help I think I will need to contact DJI support.

Reactions: vekthor
Hi again :)

That "fantastic range" varies dramatically. It was the best i could get in an open field i usually fly.
If i take it to the sky in an RF/WIFI/3G/4G/etc infested area (ex: in the city)... well... the range numbers are quite different. :)

cheers

I've had my P3S for a few weeks now, I have managed to get a fair amount of flight time and have flown in many different areas. However, no matter where I take it it will never get further than 250m now, I managed 350 on my second flight but have never managed that since. I must say I am extremely disappointed in it's performance, I can't even get half of DJI's advertised distance. I have asked previous questions on this forums and received advice on obtaining optimal distance and none of it seems to have helped.
This seems to be quite a common problem in the 3 standard, I just wish I could go back a few weeks and pick up the Advanced instead.

This just means that it's time to tinker. There are tons of range extenders available so you just need to get your hands dirty with a DBS or something similar.

My P3 which I got second hand only had a 60 meter range. I was of course disappointed in this but impressed for sure in what the Phantom is capable of, overall.

I did a simple antenna upgrade which has seemed to make a huge difference but I may cave in and do the DBS mod, myself.

I've noticed with mine that when I use the Dji app I have that same problem but when I use litchi the problem isn't there. Do you have a android device? You can easily get the app without paying just to try it out and if you like it maybe take the plunge and buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've noticed with mine that when I use the Dji app I have that same problem but when I use litchi the problem isn't there. Do you have a android device? You can easily get the app without paying just to try it out and if you like it maybe take the plunge and buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PhantomPilots mobile app
I've heard good things about Litchi, I guess it wouldn't harm to try

This just means that it's time to tinker. There are tons of range extenders available so you just need to get your hands dirty with a DBS or something similar.

My P3 which I got second hand only had a 60 meter range. I was of course disappointed in this but impressed for sure in what the Phantom is capable of, overall.

I did a simple antenna upgrade which has seemed to make a huge difference but I may cave in and do the DBS mod, myself.
I literally installed the Argtek mod today, I'm excited to take it out to give it a go.

@Ellis Hughes

Should have keep updating your first thread, Now everybody is trying to tell you what you have already been told.

To the others.
Lost signal before max 500m

So, the Standard should perform whats on the box in clear air, chances are spending time and money on mods is not going to fix it.
I would like somebody to prove me wrong.

Rod

I literally installed the Argtek mod today, I'm excited to take it out to give it a go.

Cool! I'm curious to see how it effects your range.

Im gunna test out my antenna upgrade this weekend and if its no good, Im going to order the DBS mod for mine

@Ellis Hughes

So on one thread you said "However once I cancelled RTH"
We are assuming it did a RTH automatically.

On this thread you said "My main issue I run into is "weak transmission signal" followed by "signal lost" and these will only last about 2 seconds before returning to full signal but they will keep losing signal every 10-15 seconds and it doesn't stop."
I'm assuming you think or know RTH is going to activate?

On this thread you said "but the video feed will be choppy." Live video?
Usually signal problems are not both Video / Remote control problems together.
Same thread "When signal lost I can't control but it will regain within a second or two so rth doesn't kick in."
RTH is not kicking in, or you think it will eventually?
Do you loose your telemetry?
When you play back your flight logs, are they every split in more than one?

Rod :)

I flew my p3s 2400 ft. out of the box. it was across a lake in a rural area. very pleased with the distance , altitude was around 250 ft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie