Phantom 3 Standard Motor not working out of the box

Reaction score
Hey there all,

So I recently got my phantom 3 (finally!) and took it out for its first flight today. However when I tried to take off, the phantom instantly crashed to the ground and I noticed that one of the propellers weren't spinning. Luckily I was next to a bush so it landed without any damage. I made sure the propeller wasn't too tight on or too loose but still it wouldn't spin. I took propellers off and gave the motor a bit of a wiggle, and after conducting numerous other poking and prodding I decided the motor was screwed.

I did some search to see if I could find a fault and the majority of answers were that the motor was busted. However when I flipped the drone over, I noticed a wire missing from the legs of the drone into the arms of it. Can be seen in this picture: . I checked all the other arms and they appear to have a wire like in this photo: . Could this be the reason for the fault or is it not related at all?

Thanks in advance.

If it was a brand new phantom, I suggest to get it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey there all,

So I recently got my phantom 3 (finally!) and took it out for its first flight today. However when I tried to take off, the phantom instantly crashed to the ground and I noticed that one of the propellers weren't spinning. Luckily I was next to a bush so it landed without any damage. I made sure the propeller wasn't too tight on or too loose but still it wouldn't spin. I took propellers off and gave the motor a bit of a wiggle, and after conducting numerous other poking and prodding I decided the motor was screwed.

I did some search to see if I could find a fault and the majority of answers were that the motor was busted. However when I flipped the drone over, I noticed a wire missing from the legs of the drone into the arms of it. Can be seen in this picture: . I checked all the other arms and they appear to have a wire like in this photo: . Could this be the reason for the fault or is it not related at all?

Thanks in advance.
The wire is the [compass] antenna. Only one per bird. You might have a bad motor or bad ESC.

Last edited:
Hey there all,

Thanks in advance.
There are only 2 transmission antennas and one compass cable that go to the landing gear. One leg of the landing gear contains no antenna.
Does the motor in question turn freely? Or does it lock up or seem to bind?
In my experience with repairing Phantoms is due to motor lock. This is caused by a small piece of magnet breaking off and getting jammed between the rotor and the other outer magnets of the motor. You can use compressed air to blast out the particle if you have the means to do so. If the motor turns freely, then most likely you have a defective motor and or esc. At that point I would suggest you return for a replacement.
Good luck..,, BB..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj