Phantom 3 Standard iPhone 6 Plus Battery Drain Issue

Reaction score
I am having a serious problem when flying my new Phantom 3 Standard. Everytime I fly, my phone battery seems to drain and an incredible rate. For example, I had 66% on my iPhone 6 Plus battery and after 5 minutes of flying, my phone notified me that it had 5% battery left and a few seconds later it shut down. When I arrived back at my home and plugged it into the charger it immediately booted up and in the top right hand corner said it had 58%. There is absolutely no way that it can charge 58% in literally a few seconds. That leads me to thinking that something is tricking my phone to think that it has no battery left. It's getting very annoying! I also tried taking a power bank with me and charge it while I'm flying my drone, but that doesn't help and my phone still just shuts down. I have even borrowed another phone (Android) from a friend of mine and when I connect that phone to the wifi and open the DJI Go app then it says that it's not connected. Anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Thanks in advance!

Replace the cable connecting RC to the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had a similar problem which occurred when flying in cold weather. Not sure if cold is a factor for your case, but now I know to keep the I-device warm before flight.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Slackware
Have you tried putting it in aircraft mode? what version app, 3.1.1? My 5s eats about 15-20% for the entire flight, so it is driving the phones cpu hard.
Check the hardware acceleration switch also. If on, try turning it off for a flight to see if it makes a difference. Try a flight with no recording as well. i.e. eliminate every possible option that is eating the battery level readings.
Only thing I can see to stop android connection is you changed the password, and entered it wrong. I'll have to load it on wifes galaxy and see what it does.

I had the exact problem on my iPhone 6 as well when flying my p3s. I'm using my iPad2 mini now, and everything is working fine. Good luck, and fly safe[emoji106][emoji41]

Download the Battery Life app to check the condition of your phone battery.

The problem is with your IPhone battery at end of life and the cold. Go outside in the same conditions and use your phone to browse the web, apps, and you will see the same result.

You need a new battery. Order one from Amazon and see YouTube videos on how to replace it. Problem solved from personal experience!

I am having a serious problem when flying my new Phantom 3 Standard. Everytime I fly, my phone battery seems to drain and an incredible rate. For example, I had 66% on my iPhone 6 Plus battery and after 5 minutes of flying, my phone notified me that it had 5% battery left and a few seconds later it shut down. When I arrived back at my home and plugged it into the charger it immediately booted up and in the top right hand corner said it had 58%. There is absolutely no way that it can charge 58% in literally a few seconds. That leads me to thinking that something is tricking my phone to think that it has no battery left. It's getting very annoying! I also tried taking a power bank with me and charge it while I'm flying my drone, but that doesn't help and my phone still just shuts down. I have even borrowed another phone (Android) from a friend of mine and when I connect that phone to the wifi and open the DJI Go app then it says that it's not connected. Anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Thanks in advance!

William, this is a bug in the iPhone. I had the same issue with mine. The only fix is to put a battery pack on your phone, turn it on before flight, and the go. Just watch out for interference. I now only use my iPad Air2 with cellular. No issues.

Same problem with cold weather flying. I'm looking at creating a sleeve for my phone and inserting a hand warmer into it to keep the phone warm.

I've been noticing it with my iPad Air 2 in the cold weather. Last flight the iPad shut off, so I switched mid-flight to my iPhone (in a case) and it also shut down while flying. With the iPad barely fitting in the holder without the case, so I might have to get creative.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Same isssue with P34k and iPhone 6S - I start at 100% and I'm down below 50% before my intelligent battery is out.

I took a previous iPhone in to the Apple Store with the same issue (Switzerland, winter, cold). The (probably simplified) way they explain it to me was that the battery percentage shown is a prediction based on current usage. The shut down occurs when the iPhone expects battery to run out in the very near future. However, that is based on the usage at the time of shut down. Heavy battery drain apps make the iPhone think it's going to be at 0% in seconds, and it will shut off. When you then plug it in to Charge, and it turns on without the heavy drain apps running, the "predicted" battery drain profile is very different, and the phone suddenly thinks it has a higher Charge.

Also, make sure there are no apps running in the background. My Galaxy S5 spent a lot of time searching the interweb without me knowing it was running.
Just close all apps and start the Go app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj