Phantom 3 Standard Interference

Reaction score
After upgrading to the newest firmware in Jan. 2017, I seem to get an error message reading "Strong Interference Detected, be cautious when flying long distances". I get this message in the city, in the country and in the mountains. I can't seem to escape it!

When the message appears, it pops up multiple times (usually 4 or 5) consecutively over the course of a couple seconds. This will continue for the remainder of the flight. Avg. distance for me so far is around 600m with a windsurfer attached. Is this a firmware issue or would upgrading my antenna help at all?

Thanks in advance.

You have plenty of company. Several people have reported similar symptoms after upgrading. Nobody has reported a good fix.

Glad to hear I'm not alone, I thought I was going crazy. I'm using an Iphone 5s (pretty old). Apparently the newest firmware was "optimized" for iPhone 7,7+, I'm wondering if anyone with newer phones or other tablets are experiencing the same issues.

Yep, my Phantom has been doing this since the day I got it about 3 weeks ago. I upgraded the firmware before my first flight, so I don't know if it would have done it before I upgraded or not. Either way, it doesn't matter where I am, this message pops up throughout my flights. Sometimes it is worse than other times, but I don't think I've had a flight anywhere yet where it didn't rear its ugly face. It's my understanding that this has nothing to do with the compass, so at least there's no worry of it causing strange behavior. Some pilots have noted shorter range with this firmware, others say it is about the same even though they get this message now, so I don't think it's clear whether the latest firmware actually degrades performance and/or has more actual interference. It could just be an over-reporting bug?

Yep, my Phantom has been doing this since the day I got it about 3 weeks ago. I upgraded the firmware before my first flight, so I don't know if it would have done it before I upgraded or not. Either way, it doesn't matter where I am, this message pops up throughout my flights. Sometimes it is worse than other times, but I don't think I've had a flight anywhere yet where it didn't rear its ugly face. It's my understanding that this has nothing to do with the compass, so at least there's no worry of it causing strange behavior. Some pilots have noted shorter range with this firmware, others say it is about the same even though they get this message now, so I don't think it's clear whether the latest firmware actually degrades performance and/or has more actual interference. It could just be an over-reporting bug?

This is good to know, this is exactly what happens to me. Hopefully, this will become a priority for the next firmware release... I will say my range has not been noticeably worse than before the update, I just can't stand how there is ALWAYS an error message when I'm flying, makes filming pretty tough.

Reactions: Travisimo
Thanks Rod! The weird part is when I'm literally in the middle of nowhere and it picks up wifi interference... super strange. After doing some more research it looks like the problem is indeed tied to iOS devices and not for androids...lucky for android users. Well hopefully they will have a new release soon that will fix the problem. Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Hey butts0989 I just today started to get this message like every 2 seconds no matter my height or distance. Not sure if DJI forced upgrade is causing this or my new iPad mini 4
Curious to see what happened

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Interesting, I just saw a firmware update before I took my bird for a flight, but obviously could not update the firmware in the middle of a field. After returning home and powering up to upgrade my firmware, the message disappeared! Anyone know how to manually download the newest firmware?

Hi, I made a post recently about this and wanted to share my experiences so far.

I to am plagued with constant interference messages when flying. I currently use a iPhone 6 running the latest dji go app.

Some things that I have tried and have been unsuccessful are.

-IMU calibration
-compass calibration
-transmitter calibration
-flight in airplane mode
-phone out of case
-ensuring no other phones/car keys in the vicinity of flight
- flight carried out away from built up area in clean line of sight

All of these things seem to make no difference.
Whilst I appreciate people's comments who say it is wifi interference surely we would ALL be having constant messages across all platforms if that was the case?
On further research it seems android have no issues. I plan to try the litchi app but I have to admit I am frustrated that the iOS dji has this bug

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: gvsukids
I'm on Android. I saw it the other night. Ignored it. Carried on with my business. Flew my bird from my house to a park about 2000 feet away to show off to my next door neighbor. Had zero problems.

Reactions: gvsukids
To clarify...

I went to the same parking lot, one week apart, in virtually the same weather conditions...

Same phone, iPhone 6, phone case, same battery, same truck, standing the same distance from it, flew over the same fields with the same jacket and same keys in my pocket... no difference whatsoever in any parameter I can identify.

The only thing that I can say with certainty that changed is the FW.

Last week's flight was issue free. This week's was plagued with non-stop notifications. Distracting, frustrating and unidentifiable.

To clarify...

I went to the same parking lot, one week apart, in virtually the same weather conditions...

Same phone, iPhone 6, phone case, same battery, same truck, standing the same distance from it, flew over the same fields with the same jacket and same keys in my pocket... no difference whatsoever in any parameter I can identify.

The only thing that I can say with certainty that changed is the FW.

Last week's flight was issue free. This week's was plagued with non-stop notifications. Distracting, frustrating and unidentifiable.

I couldn't agree more. I find it incredibly hard to shoot any video when my whole screen is plagued with error messages. Because the messages pop up so often, I sometimes miss "important" error messages that would be good to know. I really hope DJI has a good fix for this.

It's not just me then? I was actually looking at buying a android tablet because of this... but then the fly away issues arose. Come on dji?!?

Well that's enough confirmation for me. I don't know how they prefer to get feedback but I just emailed support with this complaint. If they don't know about it, they can't or won't fix it…

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl