Phantom 3 Standard Dropped Out of Sky - Help!

Yes,
@foxwithstocks upload your flight, compass error will come up while the Fantom is Falling. :eek:

Wouldn't your head by spinning also. :rolleyes:

;)

Rod

Even in atti, if you put left stick full back it wont fall of sky.... maybe it will land hard...

Its important to known if the motor stop spining or not in mid air...
Definitely will land hard. Tried it from just under a meter in elevation. Said much about the robust chassis and landing gear in my case.

Not being an engineer, I guess that means the IMU isn't as inertial as one might want it to be. :)

Reactions: Philltayl
Wouldn't it make sense for DJI to not allow CSC when the bird is in the air, surely allowing it would be a safety issue considering you could accidentally do it and it to fall 400 ft onto someone's head.

Wouldn't it make sense for DJI to not allow CSC when the bird is in the air
That's the whole idea behind the CSC. It allows you to kill the motors mid-flight in case of an emergency. Check out my CSC Safety if you're worried about accidentally performing that move mid-flight.

CSC was my first thought and you did indeed have both sticks back, which is just a nudge away from both sticks back and in, ie the same as how you arm the motors is how you disarm them.

However my impression, from reading your description, is that you just flew it into the ground.

GPS mode means the craft will hover in place if you give no input, but if it loses GPS lock then it will float around but still at the same height (because is using a barometer rather than GPS).

Setting "Don't change mode" means you cannot accidentally switch out of GPS mode but it doesn't stop if from potentially losing signal.

Now if you were to give it full stick down it would descend quite slowly. This is to prevent it falling into its own turbulence and tumbling over - but you ALSO pulled it fully backwards, so the "Descend slowly" thing doesn't apply - you dive-bombed the pavement, basically.

Now, if your inputs were to rescue it because it was already in trouble you could blame the drone, however rescuing it would be full left stick UP to prevent it falling. You gave it full stick down, so I'm sad to say I think the trouble was you, panicking because it was drifting and giving error messages.

That's just my blunt and honest opinion. I hope for your sake I'm wrong and it was a machine error that DJI will put right, but if I were you I'd be looking at how to raise funds for repairs.

Reactions: VictorBravo77
Wouldn't it make sense for DJI to not allow CSC when the bird is in the air, surely allowing it would be a safety issue considering you could accidentally do it and it to fall 400 ft onto someone's head.
NO, it's a safety issue. You need a way to completey kill the motors it any time, even at 400". Even if extremely rare what if you're about to fly into a low-flying plane or helicopter, or crash into a very tall building. Wouldn't it be better to crash your drone then have such an accident.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Philltayl
NO, it's a safety issue. You need a way to completey kill the motors it any time, even at 400". Even if extremely rare what if you're about to fly into a low-flying plane or helicopter, or crash into a very tall building. Wouldn't it be better to crash your drone then have such an accident.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Surely DJI could implement an immediate drop to 10 ft (or configurable) on a CSC in the air, at least that could potentially avoid any accident in the air and on the ground. Also prevents accidental activation by newcomers to the hobby.

Reactions: VictorBravo77
With the information we have been given, there is no evidence of a CSC. Until we see the flight log, I think , from the info given, this was a semi-controlled crash into the ground.. **** happens!!!!!

Hey folks! Apologies on not getting the data in quickly - busy few days out this way. DJI currently have the drone, and are looking into it. I'll pop the data up this morning for you all to have a look at. After reading everything that's been said though - it does sound like it was a stuff up on my end, which of course is tremendously embarrassing! The crash itself was more of an incredibly fast "swoop" than a straight drop, which a few of you have said could just be an incredibly hard landing after I lost gps and fell back to atti mode.

I'll leave you all to be the judges once I've posted the data, but it sounds like it was a costly c*ck up on my part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've uploaded what I think are the correct files to Healthy Drones. Is this what everyone was looking for? I can't really make any sense of the data though - the flight time doesn't line up with what I have in the DJI GO app, and the map looks kind of wonky. See what you can all find, but it doesn't really look right to me.

Flight Immediately Preceding Crash
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Crash Flight

Flight After Crash (no camera attached)

Hope that's what you're after!

The same thing happened to me this summer almost exactly like described...
Flying around minding my own on a clear summer day I was just about to land, when about 10-15 meters high at least one of the motors began "coughing" visibly and my Phantom3std came diving to the ground.
It striked the ground, ripping off the camera gimbal and about the same instance I was able to hit CSC and the phantom came to a rolling stop near me.

DJI Warranty covered it fully and generously changed all parts except the top cover, witch have my own "tunings" taped upon...
Warranty service should have no other options than to fix your drone, if there isn't any obvious reasons to suspect misuse (whitch I doubt in your case would be)...
Made a video of it too! (See 01:11 on this video below)
Your crash video should be found on your cameras memory card, but the filename can be different than others in there due to the camera snapping off.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've uploaded what I think are the correct files to Healthy Drones. Is this what everyone was looking for? I can't really make any sense of the data though - the flight time doesn't line up with what I have in the DJI GO app, and the map looks kind of wonky. See what you can all find, but it doesn't really look right to me.

Flight Immediately Preceding Crash

Crash Flight

Flight After Crash (no camera attached)

Hope that's what you're after!

Thanks, but yes not very much information from healthy drones, what we are referring to was the viewer that @msinger developed, on this post:
Phantom 3 Standard Dropped Out of Sky - Help!

Your results would look like this, post #34
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Once you get your results, copy and past that url, back on this thread.

Here is @msinger 's upload page.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Rod :)

The entire session started off with 87% battery - could that be the culprit? Surely they wouldn't make that much of a difference.

I did manage to get the drone up sans camera for one final flight afterwards to see how extensive the damage was, and the battery started that session at 68% - so no noticeable drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how long had the battery sat since last charge?
the one you say was at 87% at beginning of the flight

btw if you put the sd card back and if it is possible try to record short video and then stop the recordafter about 30 seconds. it may repair the flight video for use

nope it IS for EMERGENCY shut down, especially while in flight..

say it is flying uncontrolled because a prop hit a seagull in flight
you see it is heading towards a beach full of folks playing...

choice is:
CSC and drop it NOW
or
watch it hit into a crowd of folks.

I will drop mine in a heatbeat before I let it hit or damage others.

good luck and have fun flying!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers