PHANTOM 3 STANDARD + DBS MOD = 16000FT

Reaction score
First post here, but I wanted to share some good news. I installed my DBS mod yesterday and finally had time to go the beach today. I went to Santa Monica beach, because they aren't considered Los Angeles county and I believe flying a drone at night is till legal there.

I flew my bird 3 times over these seas.

Homemade Windsurfer = 6400ft
Stock = 6400ft (I was shocked that the windsurfer distance was the same.
DBS MOD = 16000ft.

My jaw dropped. My bird was a glittering star in the night sky. I went balls to the walls and let her RTH through a lost connection. The return home took a very long time. For about 3-4 minutes I felt I lost my drone and she sank, because I had no video reception. The nice things was that at 3000FT my reception was restored, but I had a weird bug. The video feed was at 0%, but my preview was perfect at 3000FT.

I will now purchase boosters for the DBS to see if I can take my DJI Standard farther.
I also have plans to add the FPVLR birdside antennas.

My city results were also interesting.

Stock = 400ft-500ft
Windsurfer = 1400ft-1500ft
DBS = 1800ft-2500ft

I will update as soon as I receive the boosters with hopefully another successful RTH

I took my bird out after the firmware update, but something interesting happened. At 71% a battery warning came on and it decided to come back home because of low power. I went 12300 ft and still have 5 bars on RC and 2-3 bars on video. I wish this warning didn't happen, because I was shooting to break my 16,000ft record.

I will try to take that warning message off and range test it again.

I'll post a screen shot of my max range.

I took my bird out after the firmware update, but something interesting happened. At 71% a battery warning came on and it decided to come back home because of low power. I went 12300 ft and still have 5 bars on RC and 2-3 bars on video. I wish this warning didn't happen, because I was shooting to break my 16,000ft record.

I will try to take that warning message off and range test it again.

I'll post a screen shot of my max range.
That's impressive but be careful. Make sure you have tailwind coming back and map out where you could land in case you can't make it back home due to battery. I had to do that just yesterday trying to go for 19,000 ft; thought I needed new underwear [emoji12]

That's impressive but be careful. Make sure you have tailwind coming back and map out where you could land in case you can't make it back home due to battery. I had to do that just yesterday trying to go for 19,000 ft; thought I needed new underwear [emoji12]
Wowwwww 19000ft. I have a new goal... how much battery did you have left?

Did the auto land engage?

which one is supposedly "better" the DBS mor the FPVLR mod. It looks like the FPVLR involves boosters and all sorts of crazy stuff where as DBS does not?

Wowwwww 19000ft. I have a new goal... how much battery did you have left?

Did the auto land engage?
I landed it myself ~2000 ft short from home point on the side of the road with 11% battery left. So I had to drive there to retrieve it. By the time I got there, the camera was still recording after looking at the footage. It was nerve-racking [emoji23]

which one is supposedly "better" the DBS mor the FPVLR mod. It looks like the FPVLR involves boosters and all sorts of crazy stuff where as DBS does not?
I like DBS more since it fits better in backpack or cases. But boosters are optional and you can add them for either antenna.

I landed it myself ~2000 ft short from home point on the side of the road with 11% battery left. So I had to drive there to retrieve it. By the time I got there, the camera was still recording after looking at the footage. It was nerve-racking [emoji23]

Yeahhh... I think I'll pass. I've been doing these over the ocean. So, I doubt I can swim 2000 ft to retrieve it.

I like DBS more since it fits better in backpack or cases. But boosters are optional and you can add them for either antenna.

I agree. They come off easy with the quick release. I am planning to add boosters to mine as well.

1st time posting and I've looked around this forum. How are people "testing" these long distances? There are a couple missions I've planned on autopilot but like to just fly out as far as I can (open field behind my house is 3-4000ft across) to get an idea of what my limitations are. I'm assuming I put it in atti mode and just go for it....but does the s1 rth switch still work once I lose signal?

1st time posting and I've looked around this forum. How are people "testing" these long distances? There are a couple missions I've planned on autopilot but like to just fly out as far as I can (open field behind my house is 3-4000ft across) to get an idea of what my limitations are. I'm assuming I put it in atti mode and just go for it....but does the s1 rth switch still work once I lose signal?

All my tests have been over the ocean. I've used GPS every time. Autopilot would test the distance it can go autonomously, but simply going straight in one direction and back to the home point is considered a remote control and video range test. That is that I am talking about I'm my post.

Everyone, please dont do as Ive done. Flying a drone at Santa Monica beach is illegal. I will no longer be doing these tests, but i will try to find another location to test at.

First post here, but I wanted to share some good news. I installed my DBS mod yesterday and finally had time to go the beach today. I went to Santa Monica beach, because they aren't considered Los Angeles county and I believe flying a drone at night is till legal there.

I flew my bird 3 times over these seas.

Homemade Windsurfer = 6400ft
Stock = 6400ft (I was shocked that the windsurfer distance was the same.
DBS MOD = 16000ft.

My jaw dropped. My bird was a glittering star in the night sky. I went balls to the walls and let her RTH through a lost connection. The return home took a very long time. For about 3-4 minutes I felt I lost my drone and she sank, because I had no video reception. The nice things was that at 3000FT my reception was restored, but I had a weird bug. The video feed was at 0%, but my preview was perfect at 3000FT.

I will now purchase boosters for the DBS to see if I can take my DJI Standard farther.
I also have plans to add the FPVLR birdside antennas.

My city results were also interesting.

Stock = 400ft-500ft
Windsurfer = 1400ft-1500ft
DBS = 1800ft-2500ft

I will update as soon as I receive the boosters with hopefully another successful RTH

First time posting I have a Phantom 3 standard, and just ordered the DBS controller mod, hoping it works well, what boosters did you order? I do not see any on their website. Thanks!

First time posting I have a Phantom 3 standard, and just ordered the DBS controller mod, hoping it works well, what boosters did you order? I do not see any on their website. Thanks!

I've added the DBS mod to my Phantom 3 Standard and I double the distance without any boosters. I went from 3100' to over 6200'. My suggestion would be to try the DBS mod without any boosters first, to see if you need them. You can always add boosters after the DBS mod is done.

Hey Wally I've had the DBS mod on for about a week now with no boosters, getting about the same numbers as you. Get a little over 6000 and video signal gets jumpy RC still usually good, may cut in and out very little. I'm just not pushing my new bird too hard yet lol want to enjoy it before it flies off into the sunset

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Wally Bird
With all respect, I do not get it. I don't get why you would fly in an area that is illegal ......and subsequently boast about it. I don't get why you would fly beyond line-of-sight which is unsafe and against FAA regulations. I don't get why you would risk many hundreds of dollars of investment by flying at such distances. What is with the long distance fetish???

Reactions: ItsFitz
It's like some little demon in my head trying to fly it as far away as possible and it just keeps coming back!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31