Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Yeah, he got called out by me for not playing nice (Yes, I did get in trouble, but live and learn) and looks like he got so flustered, he removed his posts.. Beats me, why someone would do that.. But whatever.

Ya, I was hoping to grab his pics too. Dataa is really helping me also, be nice to compare. Robie did his mod just like I'd like to do mine.

Yeah, he got called out by me for not playing nice (Yes, I did get in trouble, but live and learn) and looks like he got so flustered, he removed his posts.. Beats me, why someone would do that.. But whatever.
yes and ya gonna play nice or not play at all :)
Leave It alone o_O

trolling.jpg

Ya, I was hoping to grab his pics too. Dataa is really helping me also, be nice to compare. Robie did his mod just like I'd like to do mine.
Data's and rob's mod's are the same Scott . Only the length and placements of the 2.4 cables are different .

Yes I realize that.....just wanted to see Robie's pics for his SMA connectors again :). I should have saved them the first time.

Yes I realize that.....just wanted to see Robie's pics for his SMA connectors again :). I should have saved them the first time.

Scott, PM him.

Reactions: dirkclod
I"m sure there are others who have done or are doing the mod to their Transmitters who will post up pics and info. Lot of it out on the web also.

Hi guys, the most simply way to react long distance is the "Wind surf" but, this passive booster antenna have some few weaknesses. 1. it is not designed to take over the antenna's length, 2nd booster is positioned incorrectly, better position are to place it 90 degree CCW. After this, you will Obtain boost away signal, but why bay it, you do it by DIY.

Find some empty plastic bottle, for shampoo etc, device it in two similar parts, which put glue inside of this two part, mount some metal foil (similar two foil covering to your New Year chickens :)).

Bring some paper of thickness in top and bottom, then fragile antennas shape, use a glue gun sample the parts together and up you gone! REMEMBER: metal foil must be smooth surface, if not you lose some of the boost effect. Even made so with DIY, and it provides an increase distance from about 2950 ft. >> 10500 ft.! Everything depends on your position (your AGL) and your bird altitude. Good luck! de'73 LA2LOA (sign for radio amateurs, if not known ;) )

Yes, I'm a HAM operator user (initial sign LA2LOA-Norway), so my augmentation are correct. If Y don't like my sentence, keep away to give your mention, are my advice to U. (Are you eyes blended from my text information?) 73'de

yea what the heck, this is the first im reading about the MOD, get all exceited only to read the last two pages. Robie, throw em back up before someone else does and gets all the credit for it.

Ok Everyone, I wanted to give back here as I've received so much help. I completed my DBS01 mod on my P3S. Its not really a "tutorial" so to speak, but there are lots of pictures. You'll notice I had to modify the existing bracket that comes with the kit. I did order (2) of those U.FL to RP-SMA Female cables as well. Did you some short testing real quick in my sub yesterday, and its much better than stock! Going to the park later to see what max distance I have. As Dataa as mentioned previously, he was getting around 3959M max distance, I assume this was not in a populated area. So, good news to all there is hope for us P3S flyers with the DBS01 kit!

Any questions, feel free to ask away!

Attachments

• IMG_7514.JPG
    IMG_7514.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_7516.JPG
    IMG_7516.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 1,629
  • IMG_7517.JPG
    IMG_7517.JPG
    520.2 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_7519.JPG
    IMG_7519.JPG
    988.1 KB · Views: 743
  • IMG_7520.JPG
    IMG_7520.JPG
    614.5 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_7521.JPG
    IMG_7521.JPG
    506.6 KB · Views: 687
  • IMG_7522.JPG
    IMG_7522.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_7523.JPG
    IMG_7523.JPG
    749.6 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    734.8 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_7525.JPG
    IMG_7525.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 716
Reactions: Santiego
Sure thing. DBS01 was $98 (plus shipping), and those cables were around $6 from Amazon Prime.....not to mention I had to buy a hobby knife and a nice small set of needle nose pliers. A vice would be helpful when modifying that bracket, so would a drill press. That stamped steel bracket is tough to drill through. Do you know where to buy the DBS01? Here is the link to the cables I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DII6564?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Do you have any idea when you will be able to post some results with #s? Id appreciate that.

I'm actually in the middle of sending back my standard to Amazon and have an advantage delivering Tuesday.

My biggest issue is my FPV range in the small town that I live in. I lose FPV feed after about 700 feet due to interference. Anyone have any idea how the advantage will stack up against the standard in regards to dealing with 2.4 interference? If I could double that 700ft from my yard I'd be happy

Reactions: iquadtography
To everyone who has commented in this thread thank you for the good conversation.

I a have recently been given a P3S as a gift and am looking at not only extending range, but also getting a higher quality signal when in shorter ranges to ensure i still have FPV and Control.

I have been looking at the DBS01 & 02 on the site as the 02 says that its for Phantom 3's but as per this thread it looks like DBS01 work on Standards.

Whilst im not as skilled as Dotaa and some of the other guys, i am hoping on getting a verification on the DBS mods of which one works and then working through the process.

From the photos it appears (rightly or wrongly) that the mod is essentially:
  1. open up the case
  2. find the transmission points for 2.4 and 5.8ghz antenna
  3. unclip them by first removing the goo :)
  4. replace the clips with the new cables
  5. screw these into the case / drill them in etc.
  6. then on the other side, attach it to the antenna from DBS.

Am i missing something?? i dont wan to sound too casual about it - but from the photos that seems to be pretty much it?

The hardest thing i can see is the case being opened.

The last question i have is i am in Australia (CE not FCC) does this make a difference to the mod required?

Appreciate any feedback guys.

Hi Dave,

You are exactly correct on all accounts as I am one of them who has done the mod on the P3S. You need the DBS01.

It's honestly not that difficult once you start working with it as long as you have the proper tools like a Dremel, hobby knife, needle nose pliers, and small screwdriver set.

As far as the FCC vs CE mode that is determined by your GPS location in the software from my understanding. It is not selectable on the controller nor in the software. If I am incorrect someone please correct me on this.

If you need further help Dave I can guide you if you need it but it really was not that tough at all and it works great.

Reactions: dirkclod
Sorry I forgot to mention you'll need some drillbits and a drill of course but I figured you would know that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31