Phantom 3 stanadard nearly flew away

Reaction score
I was flying my phantom 3 standard today and put it into follow me mode. At first the Phantom didn't follow so i walked a bit further, i look down at the DJI GO app and see the drone moving in my direction. My hand weren't on the control sticks and i watch on the app as the drone over took me. I had stopped walking but the drone just kept on flying in the same direction and it looked to be going about top speed. I have to admit at this point i panicked a little bit sort of managed to keep my cool, i flicked the switch into P-GPS mode and the phantom stopped. In the end up the Phantom did get home safe and sound with no other problems. It my was my first fly away, their just one of those things i hear happening to other people but never expect to happen to me.

Thanks
Mark

Edit: The compass was cailbrated and I had 10 satellites at the time of the incident.

Where did your phone GPS reported to be? What I mean, is that in "follow me" mode, the P3S will go to where your phone tells it to go. If your device was reporting the wrong location, technically you were not experiencing a fly away, simply a P3S doing its job: follow your device GPS. If your device GPS is for whatever reason reporting the wrong location, follow me doesn't work as you expect (it works as it's supposed to: believe your device)

How many satellites you could get with your P3S and how calibrated your P3S compass is, has no bearing on the phone/tablet GPS and its precision. It happened to me from time to time to have a perfect GPS lock on the P3S, and a very bad one on the phone. Even being 50' off, means that your P3S will try to get to the wrong location as fast as possible, looking like a fly away

MarkyMoo554, your TXT flight log will show both the location of your Phantom and mobile device. If they don't agree, then robca's comment above explains what occurred.

If you need helping verifying this, then please upload your TXT flight log here. You can find instructions for locating your TXT flight log here.

The white circles are either points where the battery percentage was at a whole number or a message displayed in the DJI GO app and/or flight log.

You can find the location of your phone if you generate a CSV file using the TXT-to-CSV Log Converter application. If you cannot figure it out, please post your TXT flight log here.

Sorry couldn't figure it out, heres the .TXT file

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-03-26_[15-17-58][1].txt
    746 KB · Views: 166
If I interpreted your log correctly, the quality of your phone GPS signal was very low (4, mine is usually 10-12... if that means the number of visible satellites, it means you did not have enough satellites to have a good fix on your phone, anything less than 6 is really bad)

After a long time in GPS-ATTI you switch to what I think is follow-me mode, and after roughly 20 seconds your phone reported position jumped 10 meters, 35 feet. Promptly your P3S started following the new location (which required a lot of acceleration). Here's what happened on Google maps: Google Maps

Please keep in mind that your phone reported a new position 10 meters away literally within 103 msec of the previous position, so the P3S saw a 10m jump in a fraction of a second.

I'm enclosing a snippet of your log with the relevant info (I removed a lot of columns and cut everything before the jump and after you switched back to GPS). It's in CSV format, you can import it into any spreadsheet app. Each event is roughly 100msec apart. Interestingly your smartphone position had been pretty stable before that jump, so you were pretty unlucky it happened exactly after you switched to follow me.

But, as I thought, there was no fly away, just the P3S following the location reported by your phone. In the future, make sure that your phone has a good view of the sky and a solid GPS location before using follow me

Attachments

• MarkyMoo.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: 120CCPM and RodPad
Thanks for the help, will make sure that my phone has good GPS before attempting follow-me mode again.

If I interpreted your log correctly, the quality of your phone GPS signal was very low (4, mine is usually 10-12... if that means the number of visible satellites, it means you did not have enough satellites to have a good fix on your phone, anything less than 6 is really bad)

After a long time in GPS-ATTI you switch to what I think is follow-me mode, and after roughly 20 seconds your phone reported position jumped 10 meters, 35 feet. Promptly your P3S started following the new location (which required a lot of acceleration). Here's what happened on Google maps: Google Maps

Please keep in mind that your phone reported a new position 10 meters away literally within 103 msec of the previous position, so the P3S saw a 10m jump in a fraction of a second.

I'm enclosing a snippet of your log with the relevant info (I removed a lot of columns and cut everything before the jump and after you switched back to GPS). It's in CSV format, you can import it into any spreadsheet app. Each event is roughly 100msec apart. Interestingly your smartphone position had been pretty stable before that jump, so you were pretty unlucky it happened exactly after you switched to follow me.

But, as I thought, there was no fly away, just the P3S following the location reported by your phone. In the future, make sure that your phone has a good view of the sky and a solid GPS location before using follow me
Short version, how did you figure out GPS count on the Phone?

Rod

Short version, how did you figure out GPS count on the Phone?

Rod
In the log there's a field called APP_GPS.Accuracy. In my logs is usually above 10-11 when I have good GPS, much lower when I don't. In his log was between 3 and 6. I assumed that column meant the number of satellites seen by the smartphone app. It's an educated guess, nothing more, I'm afraid... but it seems to correlate well with how precise positioning is...

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers