Phantom 3 Service Contract extended warranty? I hope so!

Reaction score
I just came across this which was in my Facebook news feed: https://www.neary-aerial.com/home.html

This is not really insurance, but a service contract. If it were insurance, you would get a check to replace or repair your drone. Here, you pay an annual service contract, and if your drone crashes, drowns, gets run over by your car, or chewed by a neighbors dog, you send it in to his repair center (I believe in Minnesota) and it is repaired and sent back to you free of charge. (I don't know about the shipping fees. I assume I would be responsible for those, but I didn't ask).

I wonder if anyone here knows of this company or it's owner, Matt Neary. I am very seriously considering this.

I had a brief conversation with him this morning and for my situation, it would work like this:

1. I go to his website and decide what coverage I want. There are a couple different options for each type of craft they cover.
2. You send in pictures of your undamaged craft showing your serial numbers.
3. There is a 15 day waiting period after you make your payment, then you are covered for one year from the end of that waiting period.
4. If anything happens for any reason, you send in the recovered craft (all the major parts must be there and must be from the same craft) and it is repaired and returned to you at no additional cost.

Sounds pretty good.

If you have a fly away or dump it in the middle of the ocean and can not recover it, you are out of luck. He will not send you a new one because you say it is lost. It must be recovered.

In my particular case, the annual cost would be $239.00 for the best plan for a Phantom 3 Professional. I pay that, and if anything happens within that year, I can get it repaired or replaced (if need be) for no additional cost as long as I have the recovered parts to send him.

I think that's a good deal.

What I don't know, is anything about this person or company. Looks legit, and sounds fine, but will he still be there in a year? I don't know. Does he actually follow through? I have no idea. Obviously this is a new business, so there won't be much of a track record to look up and I understand that. I am pretty sure I will take the risk and sign up anyway, even if there is no information available, aside from his own website, but I would be interested to hear if anyone knows this person and can vouch for him and his work. If he has had a repair shop for a number of years and is now just expanding into this, things like that. I hope he does well, he is offering a great deal on a needed service.

So if anyone has already joined up, used the service, or knows anything about it, please share here.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to take advantage of something like this.

Thank you!

Dirby, please explain.

Got it. I thought maybe you had some kind of inside information about Neary.

It's like basic insurance. The seller is hoping that he's pricing it at a point that he attracts enough customers and more importantly that his annual costs to do the repairs is less than the premiums he's bringing in so he can make a decent profit.

If he gets enough folks interested, then the law of large numbers will help make it all work. But if he doesn't, then he runs the risk that a small number of customers with a lot of repairs can make it a big loss for him.

That's really the risk right there, aside from if it's a scam or not. I haven't done any analysis on this but from a cursory glance the pricing seems fair.

Been debating on this for some time now, but everywhere I read, no one has done a claim yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl