Phantom 3 - Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4" w/ Wifi Only

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Enjoying my new Phantom 3 Standard as I received it yesterday. Used my iphone 6 for FPV. I'd like to use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S, as soon as the new bracket comes in tomorrow. I've read most of the forum regarding some troubles with the Tab, so I did "roll back" my Google Play services, hopefully this will resolve the issue.

I just want to be clear, since this is a "Wifi Only" tab, I assume the follow me function will not work, or does it lock onto GPS, which the Tab has? Will I experience any other issues possibly?

To confirm, I need to open my DJI GO app at home on the Tab, then make sure to load the map for the area I'm going to be flying in, correct? (Or just use my iphone as hotspot to load the map). This has nothing to do with the Google Map app that is on my Tab correct? If I try to open the Google Maps app on the Tab, it tells me to update Google Play, which of course I don't want to do.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2 and I flew for my first flights without rolling back my google play services. I did notice the first time I set up I needed a internet connection to create an account so I did that via hotspot then I was able to get into the main menu and do what I had to to get it up in the air before I took off I turned off my hotspot and everything worked normal.

I also use a Galaxy Tab 8.4 and also noticed a decrease in range...Where did you get the tablet holder??, the plastic one I use is not strong enough.

thanks,

Martian,

I seemed to get "Weak GPS Signal" (I think thats the error) when flying more frequently than I would if I used my iphone 6. Not sure why? Guess the GPS signal is better in the iphone apparently? I love the display better in the Tab, but just doesn't seem to have the range.

I'll place the links below for exactly what I bought. I saw some guy had it on You Tube, so I asked him and he told me what to buy. There was a video showing how to install it also.

You need both of these, depending on what you already have I guess?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFU47O6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXGF84M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It's not letting me upload the pic with my Tab 8.4" on the bracket for some reason....keeps giving me an error. I can email to you if you'd like.

The tablet/phone only talks to the controller that is <6" away so I doubt it's the radio on the tablet that is the issue. There is a lot of ham radio knowledge (that I don't have) that might apply to the other signals between the radio and the phantom but since both the iphone and the tab are metal, they could be (and the tab is larger so it might attenuate more) blocking the control and video signals.

Wholly,

Great point. I need to do another test tonight in the same area as before. I'll try the Tab first, then fly it with the iphone6 (along the same general flight path) and see if I get similar results.

It may also be causing reflections so try reorienting the tablet and see if that changes anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen