Phantom 3 retractable landing gear

You can get legs in the shot if you are flying sideways into high wind and have the gimbal pointed down-ish.. 00:45 gear are in shot

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
You can get legs in the shot if you are flying sideways into high wind and have the gimbal pointed down-ish.. 00:45 gear are in shot

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yep that is about like what I see when doing same sort of maneuver.

Reactions: JIM MILLER
Thanks man! Just waiting on the DJI CF Props w/ the white stripes and these guys:
DJI Phantom 3 Landing Gear and my setup will be complete!

None taken!

I know that having retracts on a phantom is pointless and is purely for the swag, but I don't care and why should anyone either? This is a hobby for everyone to enjoy and some of us, like me, like to customize and mod our hobbies.

When retracted and flying, it probably looks pretty sweet. High price to pay for just a look... at least to me.

I saw one of the techs at Drones Plus in Santa Clara put on a set of these things...they're cool, but the price was too much ($400)

For those who were curious, I've finally gotten around to weighing my P3P.

A bone stock P3P weighs in at 2.8lbs

My P3P with all of it's aftermarket parts comes in at 3lbs, which is only a 3.2oz difference!

List of parts:

-Motor Reinforcement Plates
-Lens Hood and Phantom Filters
-RCDH Retractable Landing Gear
-Polar Pro Landing Gear Extenders
-DJI CF Props
-CF Gimbal Mount Plate

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446271148.245040.jpg

Reactions: JIM MILLER
30four, what effect does this have on landing gear strength for hand catching your P3?

30four, what effect does this have on landing gear strength for hand catching your P3?

The retracts, combined with the landing gear extenders, cushion the landing every time. They act as shock absorbers/stabilizers. I have a much wider stance now and I never have any tip overs. I can even land on an incline.

One time I was coming in for a hard/fast landing and wasn't paying attention to where I was coming down and landed on something uneven. The retracts moved and kept the phantom level.

A picture as an extreme example.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1446318412.357412.jpg

Last edited:
For those who were curious, I've finally gotten around to weighing my P3P.

A bone stock P3P weighs in at 2.8lbs

My P3P with all of it's aftermarket parts comes in at 3lbs, which is only a 3.2oz difference!

List of parts:

-Motor Reinforcement Plates
-Lens Hood and Phantom Filters
-RCDH Retractable Landing Gear
-Polar Pro Landing Gear Extenders
-DJI CF Props
-CF Gimbal Mount Plate

View attachment 34624

I see you have the PolarPro snap on landing gears also...Nice!

Hello Guys ,

Maybe crazy : but could someone please can do a picture detailed of the cable where the servos are connected ? on the picture joined : this cable is delivered in the retracts pack.

I can pay a little bit just for this ... but i have a real reason : I have a 360° gimbal and on my previous phantom 2 : i had to manage the remote directly connecty on a servo port of phantom 2 with a relay switch ... but now on phnatom 3 : there is NO servo port . But i discrovered these retracts. I already have the cable, but i don't have the detailled picture to have the answer of where to solder the servo port.

Many many many many thanls guys if you have this answer :)

here is my detailled issue : P3P : adding servo port on positionning sensor | DJI Phantom Forum

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Hi,
I bought this same system and installed it while rebuilding my P3P for the second time. The set I bought came with a barometric actuator that's supposed to work automatically, but I'd prefer a controller bound to an optical/sonar sensor the drone already possesses, and/or one dedicated extra channel I can use to simply raise or lower the landing gear manually. In failsafe, any gear must lower and lock firmly into place. Coming down on a kilobuck gimbal/camera assembly is not a very attractive prospect.

If I am to keep this retractable gear, ideally I'd want a controller that uses the drone's built in capabilities to raise and lower it, based upon a real time evaluation of altitude, speed, etc. from the sensors, with or without a manual override.

The system shown here includes a replacement wiring harness for the one from the main board down to the sensor module, with an extra plug to accommodate a manual controller operated by toggling the flight mode switch on the tx; 2 flips up, one flick down. I don't think it's smart to be toying around with such an important bit of the drone's essential operating mechanisms to make the landing gear go up and down. A far better way would be to assign this task to one of 2 configurable buttons on the transmitter's back side, but not only isn't there any port on the flight controller to plug something else in, I can't even find power-- unless in parallel off the leads coming directly from the battery.
The barometric controller that came with these retracts in my kit boasts of independence from the electronics of the drone- true, but where is its power supposed to come from? Adding any more battery weight is out of the question. It's bad enough to be fartin' around with unstable lithium packs for everything else, not to have to deal with one more.......
I also don't trust the barometric controller itself. It purports accuracy to within ½ meter. A GPS can do this, with multiple antenna; as a drone is landing, sonar or optical parallax are both quite capable, and of course, a laser rangefinder can land on a dime, literally, on the Moon!
The solution is right under our, and dji's, noses! The manual system offered here goes alittle bit of the way-why not take it all the way by adding another few grams of epoxy, silicone, and micro wiring to make a really great retract system, as an option if not standard fare?
Suggestion to the fine folks at dji.....

Meanwhile, if anybody out there in Dronesville has a solution I can use today, I'm all ears, and drones....
Thanks--
Douggieboy...
617-794-5782...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi,
I bought this same system and installed it while rebuilding my P3P for the second time. The set I bought came with a barometric actuator that's supposed to work automatically, but I'd prefer a controller bound to an optical/sonar sensor the drone already possesses, and/or one dedicated extra channel I can use to simply raise or lower the landing gear manually. In failsafe, any gear must lower and lock firmly into place. Coming down on a kilobuck gimbal/camera assembly is not a very attractive prospect.

If I am to keep this retractable gear, ideally I'd want a controller that uses the drone's built in capabilities to raise and lower it, based upon a real time evaluation of altitude, speed, etc. from the sensors, with or without a manual override.

The system shown here includes a replacement wiring harness for the one from the main board down to the sensor module, with an extra plug to accommodate a manual controller operated by toggling the flight mode switch on the tx; 2 flips up, one flick down. I don't think it's smart to be toying around with such an important bit of the drone's essential operating mechanisms to make the landing gear go up and down. A far better way would be to assign this task to one of 2 configurable buttons on the transmitter's back side, but not only isn't there any port on the flight controller to plug something else in, I can't even find power-- unless in parallel off the leads coming directly from the battery.
The barometric controller that came with these retracts in my kit boasts of independence from the electronics of the drone- true, but where is its power supposed to come from? Adding any more battery weight is out of the question. It's bad enough to be fartin' around with unstable lithium packs for everything else, not to have to deal with one more.......
I also don't trust the barometric controller itself. It purports accuracy to within ½ meter. A GPS can do this, with multiple antenna; as a drone is landing, sonar or optical parallax are both quite capable, and of course, a laser rangefinder can land on a dime, literally, on the Moon!
The solution is right under our, and dji's, noses! The manual system offered here goes alittle bit of the way-why not take it all the way by adding another few grams of epoxy, silicone, and micro wiring to make a really great retract system, as an option if not standard fare?
Suggestion to the fine folks at dji.....

Meanwhile, if anybody out there in Dronesville has a solution I can use today, I'm all ears, and drones....
Thanks--
Douggieboy...
617-794-5782...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Wouldn't it be better to control the landing gear with the LED on/off function that's now available?

Would be nice, but nowhere in DJI’s apps does any such animal appear, much less how to wire in the hardware.
Yes, I might go with this option~~ to the best of my knowledge, it doesn’t exist. If I’m wrong, please enlighten me....
Thanks

PS-- I downloaded DJI’s latest firmware upgrades less than 48 hours ago....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers