Phantom 3 retractable landing gear

Awesome! I checked out the site and they had this instructional video posted if anyone is interested to see the install:

Before I took my phantom apart to install the retracts, I bought a new shell from amazon and painted it black and bought black skids. I kept all the original parts just in case I have to send it in to DJI, which I hope I'll never have to do! It's SUPER easy to swap everything from one shell to another. Don't be scared! lol The only hard part is actually getting the shell to pop off.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-S...id=1444756212&sr=8-1&keywords=phantom+3+shell The shell also comes with skids.

I am really REALLY liking this mod.

30four have you noticed there is enough additional weight to noticeably affect flight? (I think I just used a circular reference LOL)

This is exactly what we need to match the inspire capability (sort of) right? All that's left is to hack the gimble to do left and right? Any apps capable of this yet?

Today I flew for the first time with my retracts installed. Just a small test run, flew about 150ft in altitude and 800ft out.

I was wondering if those who have these installed have noticed any issues with their phantom's reception because of their retractable gear?

In this video it shows the antennas radio waves go outward when the landing gear is in it's stock position. When the landing gear is retracted, wouldn't these waves now be pointed upward?

"
I thought about making some windsurfers for the retracts, any thoughts on how that might affect the waves? Work or not work?

Thanks!

P.S. And yes, I totally installed them for the swag points. C'mon guys, you know it looks cool as ****.

I installed them too. They do have more positive reasons as far as more height off the ground, less possibility of the landing gear showing up in shots when making turns. But unfortunately I'm now having compass issues since installing them. Trying to work it out and any suggestions are welcomed.

This is exactly what we need to match the inspire capability (sort of) right? All that's left is to hack the gimble to do left and right? Any apps capable of this yet?

I bet Autoflight Logic could pull that off. Provided DJI permits full control of the gimbal in their SDK. Imagine setting a waypoint and then during the autonomous flight you can press a button on the remote (C2) and switch the controls over to full Pitch and Pan of the camera like a second controller on an Inspire 1.

Reactions: JIM MILLER
My Walkera scout and h500 have retracts and it changes the way they fly with the legs up.

Retracts though are a gimmick unless your camera rotates 360 degrees, but look cool.

The only thing about retracts on the phantom is added weight, and anything that adds weight reduces flight time or effects handling.

I like mine bog standard and many people go pretty silly adding extra weight that's not needed.

But the retracts look cool and will find the phantom like the Walkeras handle differently when you have the legs up.

Just watch out, sooner or later they will fail that will lead to wrecking your gimbal and camera.

But cool man all the same.

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
My Walkera scout and h500 have retracts and it changes the way they fly with the legs up.

Retracts though are a gimmick unless your camera rotates 360 degrees, but look cool.

The only thing about retracts on the phantom is added weight, and anything that adds weight reduces flight time or effects handling.

I like mine bog standard and many people go pretty silly adding extra weight that's not needed.

But the retracts look cool and will find the phantom like the Walkeras handle differently when you have the legs up.

Just watch out, sooner or later they will fail that will lead to wrecking your gimbal and camera.

But cool man all the same.
How would you say it affects the way it handles while the retracts are up? I feel like it might be able to cut through wind easier when they're up, as the landing gear might act like wind sails when they're down. Just a thought really.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to fly since my first post, been pretty busy with work the past week.

I installed them too. They do have more positive reasons as far as more height off the ground, less possibility of the landing gear showing up in shots when making turns. But unfortunately I'm now having compass issues since installing them. Trying to work it out and any suggestions are welcomed.
What sort of compass problems? Did you make sure you mounted the compass correctly like in the video, with the wires opposite of the metal bar it's being attached to?

What sort of compass problems? Did you make sure you mounted the compass correctly like in the video, with the wires opposite of the metal bar it's being attached to?

Yes, exactly. Probably watched the video 100 times. lol ...I'm thinking maybe I didn't properly calibrate. Haven't had time lately to check, but I also ordered a new compass just in case. Otherwise, the retracts work great!

How would you say it affects the way it handles while the retracts are up? I feel like it might be able to cut through wind easier when they're up, as the landing gear might act like wind sails when they're down. Just a thought really.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to fly since my first post, been pretty busy with work the past week.

Flies a bit smoother, being up may cause less drag, but will also effect Centre of gravity maybe, but certainly handles different.

The response on the sticks is much better

Thought about the weight issue that some of you brought up. If you fly with a gimbal guard and/or a
Yes, exactly. Probably watched the video 100 times. lol ...I'm thinking maybe I didn't properly calibrate. Haven't had time lately to check, but I also ordered a new compass just in case. Otherwise, the retracts work great!
Maybe you accidentally flipped the compass before putting it on? The wires should be on top, not on the bottom.

No two ways about it.. that's freaking COOL! I sort of wish I had not seen your video... now I want them too!!

All up how much weight did this add to your craft?

At least four bottles of beer!

They are not unlike scissor or gull wing doors on a car. Even though they may not increase the function of the car at the very least they are cool as hell...

Ok---now to find out where to get them....

Thought about the weight issue that some of you brought up. If you fly with a gimbal guard and/or a

Maybe you accidentally flipped the compass before putting it on? The wires should be on top, not on the bottom.

Yeah the wires are on top. It also had a bit of adhesive left, but I didn't want to compromise the circuitry by scraping it off. I may have damaged the wires pulling it through the Phantom using thread as a feeder. Sure isn't fun seeing my investment drift away and crash! ...I will try recalibration when I get the time...been so busy working graveyard and taking care of priorities. I went ahead and purchased another Phantom 3 on ebay for $475 without camera and gimbal...another project to keep me busier! lol I'll keep you informed and thanks!

Is this a problem? I've never seen the legs in my vids. I often see the props. Sounds like something else to go wrong. Good luck.
I recently saw an orbit video where legs kept popping into frame......haven't had the issue myself yet though

Really? I can not get the legs to be filmed in my videos. As the p3p camera is not 360 like on the Inspire I dont feel that the legs are a problem.
It happens for me if I am Rolling right or left at a fast clip and apply some yaw.

Reactions: JIM MILLER

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik