Phantom 3 retractable landing gear

Reaction score
Today I flew for the first time with my retracts installed. Just a small test run, flew about 150ft in altitude and 800ft out.

I was wondering if those who have these installed have noticed any issues with their phantom's reception because of their retractable gear?

In this video it shows the antennas radio waves go outward when the landing gear is in it's stock position. When the landing gear is retracted, wouldn't these waves now be pointed upward?

"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I thought about making some windsurfers for the retracts, any thoughts on how that might affect the waves? Work or not work?

Thanks!

P.S. And yes, I totally installed them for the swag points. C'mon guys, you know it looks cool as ****.

Reactions: JIM MILLER
I reckon the next Phantom update will have retracts. They probably have perfected the electronics and mechanics from the Inspire 1 so no doubt costs will be greatly reduced.

Reactions: Silvaplana
I chose that video because it shows how the radio waves emit from the phantom. I will post a video of my phantom when I get home from work later today.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing your custom Phantom.

RedHotPoker

Today I flew for the first time with my retracts installed. Just a small test run, flew about 150ft in altitude and 800ft out.

I was wondering if those who have these installed have noticed any issues with their phantom's reception because of their retractable gear?

In this video it shows the antennas radio waves go outward when the landing gear is in it's stock position. When the landing gear is retracted, wouldn't these waves now be pointed upward?

"
I thought about making some windsurfers for the retracts, any thoughts on how that might affect the waves? Work or not work?

Thanks!

P.S. And yes, I totally installed them for the swag points. C'mon guys, you know it looks cool as ****.

The control system antenna's on the Tx an Rx are positioned for vertical polarity. When you raise the retracts those antennas are now positioned horizontally thus they will now be more sensitive to horizontally polarized signals.

Windsurfers create gain by beam shaping (direction-ality) and you do not want to make the quads antennas more directional.

Not to mention the physical and practical challenges of trying to affix them.

Yeah, you bad. . . ;-)

That's pretty awesome, there bud.
I Love the Phantom colour too.

Thanks.

RedHotPoker

Really a sweet setup. Envy. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker

Really a sweet setup. Envy. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker
Thanks man! Just waiting on the DJI CF Props w/ the white stripes and these guys:
DJI Phantom 3 Landing Gear and my setup will be complete!

Hi, other than looking very cool, what is point with having retractable gear.
No offence, just wondering

None taken!

I know that having retracts on a phantom is pointless and is purely for the swag, but I don't care and why should anyone either? This is a hobby for everyone to enjoy and some of us, like me, like to customize and mod our hobbies.

Really? I can not get the legs to be filmed in my videos. As the p3p camera is not 360 like on the Inspire I dont feel that the legs are a problem.

While it's rare (depending on your flying style) it can happen. As noted above high speed flight and aggressive flying can occasionally get a leg into the shot. It's not nearly as bad as previous units but it can still happen if you try hard enough :)

No two ways about it.. that's freaking COOL! I sort of wish I had not seen your video... now I want them too!!

All up how much weight did this add to your craft?

Reactions: LamboH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers