Phantom 3 replacement lenses

Reaction score
Has anybody tried any of these lenses out?
DJI Phantom 3 Lenses – Peau Productions
Seems kind of pricey but there is a video and some pictures of the lenses in action and a video how to replace the lens I would like to have something a little bit more zoomed in on my p3p.
I wish they would do a video before and after so I couldn't physically see the difference .
But at least they show how to focus the lens in the one video for the sharpest picture.

The stock P3 lens has a diagonal FOV of 94° which translates to 82° horizontal
The lenses they offer are: 143°, 123°, 90° and 72° (horizontal)
So only the last one has a narrower field of view - it's the equivalent of a 24mm lens on a 35mm SLR.
Still a very wide lens and almost as wide as the standard P3 lens.
It appears to me that these lenses don't use the full sensor as they are listed as 5MP, 5MP, 5Mp & 10MP as against the 12MP of the original.
This is a significant negative feature.

There is a practical reason why small drones are all using very wideangle lenses.
There would be huge technical obstacles in using telephoto lenses mounted on a buzzing drone.
Focus and motion blur would be big ones.

Trying to mount a camera on a small drone necessitates many compromises and the lens focal length is one limiting factor that's hard to get around.

The longer the focal length the shallower the depth of focus. One reason drone cameras are wide angle (short focal length) is that they allow a fixed focus setting to give acceptably sharp focus from a few feet away to infinity. I'm a pro photographer.

The longer the focal length the shallower the depth of focus. One reason drone cameras are wide angle (short focal length) is that they allow a fixed focus setting to give acceptably sharp focus from a few feet away to infinity. I'm a pro photographer.
So am I & yep, that's true. I still do miss the FOV of the p2v+, but rectilinear, as opposed to fisheye means a lot less work in post. It does make it difficult to get wide enough sometimes, but a couple of pics photomerged does the job. I like stitching panoramas of 2 or 3 pics - it compresses the angles so that 180 -240 deg will fit into what appears to be 90 - 120 degrees. it gives a pronounced 3d effect

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik