Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently discovered right joystick and RTH button mounts had failed internally - I Took apart, and upon opening the case the main/con ribbon popped loose from main board before I unlocked it. This seemed to weaken the ribbon connector's ability to lock the cable down.

After rebuilding and fastening the mounts with hot glue and reattaching ribbon I lost all USB connectivity (I also accidentally pinched the cable with tweezers) . Remote still charges and can still power up drone but cannot get signal to my iPad.

Now I cannot find the ribbon (possibly thrown away), and I want to replace it if anyone can help I will gladly pay a little for one! A new controller looks to be at least $279 which I don't have...

PS. ALL of the outer shell mounts also have cracked and failed now as well and I now know there was a potential free repair for a bad batch of controller shells but I think I voided my warranty now because I'm missing the cable... :-(

edit: this is for the phantom 3 professional RC

For the ribbon, there is this thread Howto : Replace your damaged RC ribbon cable where a guy tried some alternative. I have personally never see an original one for sale.
It can be also an issue with one of the connector, the one on the main board. I am in repair process as I think I open it too fast and the connector get damaged. The cable is no more really locked in the connector, it is too loose and don't make contact (no video and no charging, no HDMI).
I had the chance that I can test the cable on another RC and it was ok, not looking nice but ok.

For the ribbon, there is this thread Howto : Replace your damaged RC ribbon cable where a guy tried some alternative. I have personally never see an original one for sale.
It can be also an issue with one of the connector, the one on the main board. I am in repair process as I think I open it too fast and the connector get damaged. The cable is no more really locked in the connector, it is too loose and don't make contact (no video and no charging, no HDMI).
I had the chance that I can test the cable on another RC and it was ok, not looking nice but ok.

Wow - yeah - sounds like we did the same exact thing to our RC... Mine was also not gripping the cable very well afterwards..What a shame... I think DJI designed the ribbon so short like this because they didn't want you opening the main case compartment.

Now my question is - if the connector is the damaged part is it replaceable with some soldering? I suppose that would be very difficult?

Wow - yeah - sounds like we did the same exact thing to our RC... Mine was also not gripping the cable very well afterwards..What a shame... I think DJI designed the ribbon so short like this because they didn't want you opening the main case compartment.

Now my question is - if the connector is the damaged part is it replaceable with some soldering? I suppose that would be very difficult?
If it would have one the output board, easy to replace the whole board. On the main board it is another story. I have removed the defective connector, but soldering it again is an other story. The problem is to solder it without destroying it as their plastic is easily damageable and it is so small :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic