Phantom 3 prop guards, to get or not to get???

It's not the same thing at all Zelda.
Wearing a seatbelt when driving is prudent as you never know when you will be involved in a crash.
But if you think you need propguards on your Phantom, you are flying too close to obstacles.
Trees and buildings are the number one killer of Phantoms.
Fly out in the open and you avoid the cause of most crashes.
Propguards have their place - if you are flying in a sensitive location indoors.
But otherwise they weigh your Phantom down, reduce performance, get in frame, catch the wind like a sail and won't fit in the case, while all the time giving flyers a false sense of security.

Agree 99%, I just think that #1 Phantom killer is DJIs support/quality check, #2 pilot error lol. But definitely I have flown my P1 with guards the whole time, still cracked a few props even with the guard and the guard itself I superglued several times. The P3 is much more stable, I usually hand catch and never had any crashes or tumbles. If I crash into a tree is going to be my fault or some dji bug, and I fail to see how the guard would protect the expensive stuff.

If you lose props landing, don't CSC - use the left stick down
Or learn to hand catch rather than trust your Phantom on the ground.
I've never used the CSC to land the Phantom. I always land, descending in a controlled fashion. Still, any propeller wash can result in tipping over.

Regardless, once one gets more proficient, the need for prop guards falls away.

Hi guys just got this new Phantom 3 advanced and reading like crazy and watching videos before I take this out to fly!! Wondering about prop guards and peoples thought if I should have these?? I really ask this as I am not new to drones and have a AR 2.0 and found the inside body with the attached prop guards is certainly a great advantage when learning to fly it as you will most certainly crash the AR 2.0 at first till you get all setup correctly and get a little used to it. What are peoples thoughts and is there one brand that people would recommend, or is there any really diff in these guards??
Hi FTTT, I also just purchased the P3 with only minor experience with helis and a Syma X5c-1. The X5 is a nightmare to fly, period. Drifts awful in light winds, you have to constantly correct to keep it steady. I crashed that thing 50 times at least, fortunately it is almost indestructible and still lives today. Back to the P3, so when I spent in excess of 1K for a drone I decided to install the propeller guards. I ordered the kind that are screw on/off but quickly found that for most flights they aren't necessary and are a hassle to get on/off. So I ordered the snap on alternative and they are nice to have. They do slow the bird down and cause a little twitchiness when hovering but when I'm at the beach or in open areas I just pull them off. IMO, get a set, worth the 20 dollars. Happy flying

Reactions: MADrone
some people have run into problems attaching the prop guards.
i have a set i bought over a year ago and have never put them on my phantom 2 vision.

I have snap-ons, red in front white in back, the colors helped my orientation flying LOS. Now with FPV it's easier.

Hi guys just got this new Phantom 3 advanced and reading like crazy and watching videos before I take this out to fly!! Wondering about prop guards and peoples thought if I should have these?...
I had them for my P2, the quick release type which are 2 red and 2 black and I did put them on my new P3P. I found that while practicing down low to the ground, honing orientation skills, flying indoors, and also taking off from wooded areas (like my back yard) they give a sense of security just in case. I've never crashed with them on so don't know how well they would protect the P3P but they do have 'bounce' to them so before breaking so may just save the P3 from a low fall on an arm. I have not noticed any difference in flying time nor of any difference in windy conditions so if it's there it's very slight. They also help for orientation at altitude because the colors stand out against the sky better. After using the quick disconnect type and taking them off, the P3 still fits well in the case without any modification to the foam.

All that said, I don't use them on 90% of my flights which are usually at 200' to 400' and mainly because they will show up on saved videos in fast forward flight or in windy conditions which is not visually appealing. The spinning props are barely seen against the sky background in most videos but the guards are very obvious in the same conditions.

So for a newbie I say get them and use them until you are very comfortable flying, especially landing without tipping over and around congested areas where you might get a little to close to branches or heaven forbid hit your car or something else that can get hurt. Maybe they won't help at all in a crash but for $20 it's a good "just in case" add-on.

I also like the way they mount to the arm; all four screws hold the motor to the mount bracket, thus reinforcing stability and strength, for all the reported episodes of cracks.

Reactions: bobmyers
Hi FTTT, I also just purchased the P3 with only minor experience with helis and a Syma X5c-1. The X5 is a nightmare to fly, period. Drifts awful in light winds, you have to constantly correct to keep it steady. I crashed that thing 50 times at least, fortunately it is almost indestructible and still lives today. Back to the P3, so when I spent in excess of 1K for a drone I decided to install the propeller guards. I ordered the kind that are screw on/off but quickly found that for most flights they aren't necessary and are a hassle to get on/off. So I ordered the snap on alternative and they are nice to have. They do slow the bird down and cause a little twitchiness when hovering but when I'm at the beach or in open areas I just pull them off. IMO, get a set, worth the 20 dollars. Happy flying
Ok so it's been a few weeks since I posted this and I don't use the guards any longer, I do however like the attaching mount and how it reinforces the motor area. At 125 flights and counting the guards have become obsolete for the reasons others have stated ( show up in video) They were a nice sense of security early on though.

Yes I purchased the DJI no removable ones and I have since taken them off for two reasons. First my drone cannot fit in my case( really gave the purchase great thought) and the drag on the drone is quite dramatic. Simply put unless I am flying indoors I will not use them. anyone want to buy a set of DJI prop guards??

Funny I posted today.. I just did some video on my house and gust of wind blew me into a low hanging branch that also blew into me. I heard my blades make contact and quickly pulled sideways out! Whew!BP hit the roof as I held my cool landing ASAP.
I fully believe that if I didn't have the prop guards also pushing back the branch I would be looking at a sad weekend!
The blade tips show the green contact!
I also believe the stress of the contact would have resulted in motor mountcracks.. if not full break.. if not for the snap on guards!
They only take 5 seconds to slip on...

Funny I posted today.. I just did some video on my house and gust of wind blew me into a low hanging branch that also blew into me. I heard my blades make contact and quickly pulled sideways out! Whew!BP hit the roof as I held my cool landing ASAP.
I fully believe that if I didn't have the prop guards also pushing back the branch I would be looking at a sad weekend!
The blade tips show the green contact!
I also believe the stress of the contact would have resulted in motor mountcracks.. if not full break.. if not for the snap on guards!
They only take 5 seconds to slip on...
Any time you are around structures or trees, they are a great addition. Take them off when you are in the open and trying to shoot video or pics.

I quick fix to top overs on uneven surface is just hand catch for landing. It's super easy if you're not an idiot.

Newby here: Since prop guards make the Phantom unstable "wobbly) to some degree is it fair to assume that some crashes would result from using the prop guards in the first place?

Newby here: Since prop guards make the Phantom unstable "wobbly) to some degree is it fair to assume that some crashes would result from using the prop guards in the first place?
Prop guards are great for:
Getting in your camera's view
Catching the wind like a sail
Making your Phantom less able to deal with winds​
If you are flying somewhere (outdoors) that makes you think prop guards are a good idea, a better idea would be to fly somewhere else.

Prop guards do not make the Phantom unstable or "wobbly" as far as my experience goes. I attach mine for almost every flight regardless of location. They do not get in the way of the camera and they paid for themselves a couple of times when landing. They will prevent damage to your props if you happen to tip over.

So to answer your question, no; it is not safe to assume prop guards will result in crashes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl