Phantom 3 professional motors

Reaction score
I received a phantom 3 professional for Christmas. She bought it just before Christmas and it has the old style motors. I am gonna return it to the store and exchange it for one with new motors. Can you see on the box if it has new motors or do you have go open it. Thanks Sean

Look for the model # - Serial # sticker on the box. The old model is W323. The new model is W323A. Depending on the volume of your local store they may not have the "A" models in stock yet.

Reactions: Curasail
For your mental satisfaction, go for new motors.

There really is no known measured benefit to having the new motors. But, if you must have them, check the photo on the Phantom box to ensure it looks like this:

imageuploadedbyphantompilots-dji-phantom-forum1443845769-068556-jpg.32583

Reactions: Toddzilla
I would order and have them at hand, but I wouldn't want to possibly damage the soldering or something could go wrong when you could of avoided the dreaded going from great motor to best motor. Besides what are you actually looking to do with new upgraded motor the ESC is still going to limit the motors capability to keep in tandem with the others. Hope it helps I have done some stupid things that I thought would be better only to screw up what I shouldn't of messed with. Also the shells are next to impossible to get open without breaking something..

I have done some stupid things that I thought would be better only to screw up what I shouldn't of messed with. Also the shells are next to impossible to get open without breaking something..
Would English be one of those things?

Just Joking. Welcome to the forum.

Interesting 1st post. Don't think the OP was buying motors and replacing them. I think, and I may be wrong, that he wants to exchange it for a newer "A" model.

SD

I know sorry haha I read the post again and after had the look when you do after looking at your bed with an ugly woman next to you. Gotta gooooo

Reactions: Reed L
It's probably just fine & negligible difference but, if you want the latest, go for the new ones if it makes you more comfortable.

Someone mentioned ordering the new motors for a non-A model. You can NOT just swap out the motors. You'd have to swap the motherboard too as the ESCs have been changed for compatibility with the A motors. The original & A-model motherboards use different ESCs and must be used with the corresponding motors. I'm glad I have the A model but think the original motors look beefier.

Just one thing to keep in mind when talking about Mass Manufacturing. Newer isn't always Better. But it may be cheaper for them. Personally I feel the old motors are better quality. Just my opinion and have not had one problem with them.

Hey guys. I'm not home to check my box. The guy from the store just called me to tell me he can't find the model number on the box. Where is it located

@ bigred78 - on the side of the box the model # of the bird is listed as W323 for those w/ old motors & W323A for those w/ new motors. I can only personally verify the former (as I have the P3P w/ old motors). I have seen photos on threads here and elsewhere showing the 'A'. Personally, I fall in line generally with the sentiment of this thread which I will summarize as the "old" motors have done me fine for almost 100 flights so far. I honestly believe (as previously discussed above), DJI made these moves to streamline manufacture/repair processes. Brings another large fruit-themed technology company to mind where everything is soldered to the main logic board as of the last few years. Easier for manufacturer to replace, near impossible for customer/consumer to work with. Just fruit for thought & a shameless pun - happy Monday.

Just looking at the photo showing the old vs new..

I'd much rather have the old style. I find that the raised boxy edges help provide grip when tightening/loosing the props :)

I exchanged my w323 for a w323a and find the new motors superior.

1. They are much quieter
2. Power seems unaffected including maximum forward speed.
3. They are much more efficient, I am seeing 3-5 minutes of extra runtime in my early testing. Batteries are all new with less than 3 three charges.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

PS- to throw another kink in the discussion there is now a w323b which has different screw mounting design (although only a slight change)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20